You are here

Sharing food/drinks and being a germaphobe

Someoneelse's picture

I used to share food with my kids, even though I am a bit of a germaphobe... I felt like they were blood related and so it wasn't a big deal, I would let them drink out of my water bottles, take a bite off of my fork/spoon, plus they had dry mouth areas, they weren't drooly/slobbery.

11 years ago I came into SD's life, and when I would share with my kids, she wanted me to share with her too, but (even to this day) she has a really wet mouth area (strange way to explain it, I know, she doesn't actually DROOL, but there is saliva always on her lips/mouth), she isn't related, but it really grosses me out just thinking about sharing food/drinks with her.

So I had to stop sharing food/drinks with my OWN children just because it would hurt SD's feelings when I would share with DDs but not SD, and that always made me sad.

Survivingstephell's picture

Go ask your dad for some needs to be said to her.  Is she really that stupid that she doesn't know you aren't her mom?  

Im not crazy about sharing food with everyone and I most certainly didn't share my plate with skids.  Why is it so hard for stepparents to put a boundary in place?   Stand up for yourselves people.  *fool*

Aniki-Moderator's picture

shellpell's picture

ARe you serious? You stopped sharing with your own kids because of skid? Tell her to go ask her dad. If she presses, tell her that you are DD's blood relative, not hers.

hereiam's picture

I never shared food or drink with my SD but I did with my niece. Not sure if SD ever realized it, and I didn't do it to hurt her feelings, but the fact is, she is not related to me.

There is nothing wrong with teaching kids that they shouldn't share germs with just anybody.

SeeYouNever's picture

I share with my own kids... To a limit... Once something is too wet or gross I won't share. It's different when it's your kids, they have all our germs anyway. Until they go to daycare...

My DH shares all drinks with SD. He sees her less than EOWE, her her germs aren't his... I'll share drinks with DH because bwe kiss but SD... No, and after DH shares with her... No.... This was before covid and DEFINITELY not  now with it. 

I also don't share drinks with my parents or my brother, my DH once got offended I wouldn't share a drink with SD. I might as well share with a stranger. I don't share with my own brother why would I share with your child that lives in a diff6 household??

MaryBethC's picture

I get the wet mouth thing! SKIDS always had that like drooly lips I'd call it. Always sticky with candy and lint too! Gross. Just tell her no since you aren't her mom and continue sharing with your bios. Don't ever withhold from your own kids because it seems unfair to SKids, it's the reality of the situation when you're a blended family.

Loxy's picture

I don't think it's got anything to do with being related to someone or not, it's about whether you like / are bonded with the person. No issues with sharing with my DS3. I'm also fine with sharing food/drinks with my SS15 but won't do it with SD16. The difference between the two is I love my SS15 and have a great bond with him but don't feel that way about SD.