You are here

Security Blanket, Stuff animals - 11 year old boy.

FrazzledStepdad's picture

My 11 year old step son has a security blanket and 4 stuffed animals that he CAN NOT bear to be away from at night. It's to the point that his BD will drive 30 minutes to our house 3 to 4 times per week to drop them off so the boy isn't without them. The kicker.... the boy is too embarrassed to take them to school in his backpack where the custody exchange normally takes place. So we are forced to see BD multiple times during our custody period. This is on top of all the other fabricated reasons he comes by. New power cord for ipad, forgotten hoodie etc.

Thoughts on what to do? My wife (BM) doesn't seem to have an issue with it. Really? Does he need 5 items to sleep with? Sheesh.

I love dogs's picture

I never had a security anything so I don't get it. The extra trips are unnecessary if you ask me. 11 is time to start growing up.

Solidshadow7's picture

I don't think its that unusual for the boy to want things that make him feel comfortable with him when he moves between houses. Even if he's 11. I was insistent upon items like that until 15, and would honestly still use them if I could. It's not a dependence thing, its a comfort thing.

However, the transportation of the items between the two households is causing an issue. Your SS is 11, so he's old enough to stop inconveniencing everyone. This is how it should work-

1) Stuffed animals must be transported to school and come with him at exchange, if the exchange point cannot be changed to an out of school location to accommodate the items. He just put them in a bag or a suitcase, nobody has to know what's in there. Maybe even leave it at the front office or in a closet somewhere.

Then add a choice-

1)Ss may pick out new replacement stuffed animals for your house, and leave them there.
2)Ss may choose half the items to leave at your house permanently, and if he needs more replacements they can be purchased for both houses.

There is a reason for a security items, but he doesn't need a caravan of stuff being transported back and forth by the grownups.

marblefawn's picture

I don't think it's bad - at 11, he's probably just about ready to shed the toys. We talk about kids growing up so fast - he's not, and maybe that's not a bad thing.

He seems to be heading in the right direction if he's embarrassed about it. He's conscious what other kids would think. But you're enabling him, giving him a way to keep doing it in the closet, by chauffeuring the damn toys around! One way we late bloomers mature is by necessity - I finally stopped sucking my thumb when I didn't want others to see it at sleepovers. If you can get BM to agree, stop chauffeuring the toys. Tell him you're busy, the car is broken down, whatever you need to say to get out of that dynamic. I bet a million bucks he gets over it really fast if he has to take the toys via school. Don't tell him you won't do it anymore - tell him other things are in the way of you doing it for him. That way you aren't directly forcing it, which might make him cling tighter.

I'll just add that it doesn't seem like a huge deal, but enabling kids begins at an early age. Mom and son will both need to get out of that cycle before she's chauffeuring him to get his heroin fixes. Parents do it all the time and it's an outgrowth of early enabling. It's not a good pattern.

justkeepstepping's picture

We had a talk about this sort of thing the other night at our house.

SS used to have this nasty 18x18 blanket covered in cigarette burn holes that GBM and BM swore he couldn't be with out. Sprung up out of the blue when he was 3 1/2. We never let him have it at our house. He didn't even act like it was a big deal. It never bothered him.

A few years later when he was about 5 they swore the same thing about this filthy stuffed dog. It was so disgusting that when it came out of the washer and was unrecognizable compared to what had went in. It was THAT dirty. SS never cared much for it so we asked them to stop sending it.

We figured that they just wanted something to make them feel like SS had to have "a piece of them" when he was with us.

Fast forward almost 5 years later. Skids live with us and have little contact with GBM and BM. Neither skid had ever had an emotional attachment to anything since the fabri puppy thing.

DD3 on the other hand... She was a blankie baby. She never had a pacifier or any other soother as an infant. She's slept with a special crocheted baby blanket that my stepmother made her since the day she was born. When she was a baby she dragged it around like Linus van Pelt off Charlie Brown. She'd even get upset if you washed it. She had NEVER slept with out that blankie. As she out grew it she adopted another, bigger, blanket from when she was a baby and started sleeping with both of them. She cuddles the blankie and covers up with the blanket every time she naps or goes to bed.

The other day was the first time she'd ever had to sleep with out them. The nanny LOST them. She had DD out and about while the other 3 children were at school and misplaced them. DD was inconsolable come bed time. We looked every where for them. I've never seen her so upset. We tried anything we could think of to calm her. Nothing worked and she cried herself to sleep with DH and I laying on either side of her.

We had never really thought much about the fact that she still had the blankets as a soother until they were gone. She only used them when she slept and is only 3 years old. Luckily they were recovered the next day at the nanny's parent's house. DD may very well be one of those children that carries them around when she's a preteen.

It does interefere. He shows up, on our time, and the kids have to run out and hug and play around wirh him for 15 to 20 minutes. Keep in mind he has custody almost 50% of the time. It’s not like the man has gone days without seeing them and this has been going on for 5 years. My wife needs to put her foot down. The kid can put the items in his school bag if he needs them that bad. Seems simple to me.

still learning's picture

exMIL cut up exH's security blanket because he brought it everywhere and refused to leave it when starting kindergarten. He found a piece of the blanket would put it in his pocket and would rub it. I heard that story retold several times w/exMIL laughing but I really think it traumatized exH and turned him into the giant @$$ that he grew up to be. There are worse things that ss11 could be into. I would let the situation be and let the parents continue to deal w/it like they are. Time will remedy this issue...hopefully.

Another solution could be to alter drop off/pu times. Perhaps they could take place on a weekend so this isn't an issue.

advice.only2's picture

Why not suggest to your SO that SS keep two of the stuffed animals at your place and two at his dads place? As for the blanket maybe she can have him pick out one for your house and the other to keep at home. This will cut down on all the back and forth and just have SO keep reminding SS "hey buddy you have these here so you don't have to worry about forgetting them."

Oh no. That could never happen. These are the items he’s had since a baby. God forbid we don’t give him exactly what he wants

stepmomof1biomomof1's picture

Do you hate them because that gives BD a excuse to come over all the time? Or because the kid always gets his way? Does it bother you when he is with you and needs all that to sleep? I have DS13 and can not imagine him at 11 having to have all that to sleep. you will probably never win this battle if both parents are willing to go to such lengths to get them to him.

I love dogs's picture

As another poster said, if DW and BD are going to keep enabling SS, it won't stop anytime soon. I feel your pain about the ex stopping by for X, Y, or Z reason being so freaking annoying!

stepmomof1biomomof1's picture

My SD is 13 and still has a blankie. I hate that thing. it is huge, has holes and stains and stinks no matter how many times you wash it. She hauls that thing to school if she wants to bring it to our house. We started limiting to her bed only. She will lay there and sniff it. I think it is so weird but I was never attached to anything and neither was BS

stressed72's picture

My 11-year-old stepson has an old stuffed puppy that he holds up
to his mouth while he sucks his thumb. He is 11. And still sucks his thumb.

SonOfABrisketMaker's picture

I had a blanket that I chewed on to go to sleep well past what was socially acceptable. But between my parents' ugly divorce and my mother's quick remarriage to an angry man, it was one of my few comforts. One day my stepdad decided to "break" me of my blanket and it became less of a need for my blanket and more of a power struggle with a man who wanted to rule the house no matter what. I think I would have moved past the need for babyish things way sooner if he had just left it alone.

strugglingSM's picture

I don't think it's abnormal necessarily. A friend of mine had a crazy looking doll that had nearly been loved to death that she kept with her until adulthood. Sadly, she left her bag in a taxi one day and the doll was in it, never to be seen again. Her boyfriend called the taxi company and begged them to find it, to no avail. The doll is famous amongst her friends - even those of us who never saw / met the doll - mostly because it was pretty scary looking, but also because she kept it - without shame - into adulthood.

I think that last part is the difference. If your SS feels embarrassed at the thought of his friends seeing his loveys then maybe it's time for him to retire them. Maybe your wife and his dad should have a talk with him about how they can still be kept, but don't need to be carted around - especially if he's not willing to do the carting. At 11, he should be old enough to understand and deal with that.

Anna21's picture

If the kids don’t really mind if the blanket or stuffed toy comes with them or not then it’s probably the ex making a subtle statement. This is MY child and he is only visiting your home. BM did that for years, sending blankets and pillows with teenagers. It was her way of putting a stamp of ownership on them or her way of stating that our blankets and pillows are not good enough for them. So one weekend I threw them out and the kids didn’t even notice. Now in this boys case it sounds like he truly does have them for comfort and you would feel sorry for him that he is embarrassed at school. He will probably grow out of it, give him another year or two maybe less. Some kids grow up slower than others. But the bio parents should encourage him to grow out of that, for his own sake.

BethAnne's picture

If you can persuade your wife that the visits from her ex are disrupting the household, then you might be able to persuade her to meet her ex somewhere away from the house to exchange the blanket and toys.

Without getting your wife on board there is not much you can do until the child decides he does not need the toys and blanket. You could try just outright asking him when he is going to stop needing them. We asked my sd when she would stop needing a binkie to sleep with and she said when she was 6 (She was 5 at the time) so we kept reminding her and when she was 6 she was happy to give it up and was fine without it. Your SS might surprise you if you just ask him, or he might just say he doesn't know - there is not much to loose giving it a try though.

WTF...REALLY's picture

Let him have his comfort. There’s nothing wrong the child having items to sleep that gives him comfort.

Perhaps the items could get dropped off at the mother’s work place instead of at your home so you don’t have to deal with it.

The BM and I work together. I don't disagree with the kid having his comfort other than the AMOUNT of comfort. 4 stuffed animals and a blanky? Kid is almost 12. He's too embarrassed to take them in his school bag. The BD uses all of this as an excuse to be at my home almost daily. If it's not for the comfort items, it's for some other item they "forgot" or because the boy broke his power cord for his iPad (GOD FORBID!) and can't possibly wait the 1 or 2 days until he's with daddy again. It's a total control tactic with the SS as the excuse. DW plays right into it because she feels guilty for the kid being in a split home. If I say anything at all, I'm the bad guy. It sucks and it's also making the kid a little pussy.

strugglingSM's picture

Is the child asking his dad to bring all these items over? Could also be the kid trying to force his parents to interact in the hope that they'll get back together.

In my case, BM only tries to insert herself via phone or text - she's too lazy to drive all the way over to our house (and is also not welcome). Oftentimes, her intrusions are the result of an SS who calls her crying because he's trying to manipulate DH. In my case, I think SS is trying to force interaction between DH and BM to see what DH does. BM tells both kids "your dad hates me!" and this one SS always seems to be testing the boundaries by forcing DH and BM to interact to see if it's true. DH usually ignores BM's interruptions.

In my view, he should be able to wait for his things. Maybe he should keep one security stuffed animal at mom's and one at dad's. If I were his dad, I'd probably tell him that either he put them in his school bag or he learned to live without them because I wasn't going to down my entire weekend driving back and forth to bring him things.

First fact:

BD has NO life outside his kids, so driving over the 35 minutes is nothing for him.

Second fact:

BD has never and will never say NO to his kids. So, if SS needs a new power cord, he gets one. No waiting required.

Third fact: SS has been conditioned by BD to make these requests because he ALWAYS gets what he wants. It's not about trying to get mommy and daddy some face time. DW rarely even goes outside when he's dropping stuff off.

Fourth fact: This has always been a control tactic of BD to interfere, interrupt, disrupt our daily lives because he has no life.

Here's another example. He lives 35 minutes away. Lots of good restaurants and services in his area. We do not go to the restaurants in his part of town because we feel that's his space and the places that he takes the kids. Kind of "their thing", and we tell the kids that. Well of course we have some great restaurants by our home. The same courtesy is not reciprocated. If the kids say they want to eat at a restaurant by our home, during his time... Daddy brings them right on over. Drives me nuts because they are places that we "discovered" together as our little family. It's a losing battle that I'm tired of fighting.

strugglingSM's picture

Sounds like it's time for a sit down between your DW and her child to say "we have what you need here and you don't need to bother your dad to get things" while also saying to BD "you're disrupting my time with the children. DS has everything he needs when he is with me, so please don't drive across town because he's requested something. I've told him that we have what he needs here, so the next time you drive over with something, I will not open the door and you will have to drive home without delivering it."

My DH had it out with BM at one point to tell her that she was disrupting his weekends and he didn't appreciate it. He even went so far as to tell her that he didn't want her to come to sporting events on his weekends (where she would inevitably come up to DH to either harass him or cause drama with the children). He also explained to the children that he didn't go to sporting events on their mother's weekends because that was her time with them, while his weekends were his time. Not sure they got it and BM still insisted on coming to most events, but eventually after a few big blow outs, she left him alone and other than waving or saying hi, did not come up to the kids and say things like "are you going to sit with your dad the whole game or are you going to come and sit with me, too?!" to the kid who wasn't playing. She also used his request to her advantage, skipping sporting events when she wanted to go away and then blaming it on DH "your dad told me not to come on his weekends, so I didn't."

I don't think you can do much about the restaurants, but your DW can do more to set boundaries with BD and to also set boundaries with the kids over the fact that their time with her is their time with her and having their dad come over multiple times during their time with her is both unnecessary and disruptive.