You are here

Secret phone conversations with BM???

Crazystepmom09's picture

Ok I’m mid week with our second “vacation week “ with  step Demon from hell. Stepbrat12 has been doing something odd over the last 6 months that he never did before. When bio bitch calls him he will not talk to her in front of either DH or I. Last vacation when we were in a hotel room he went in the bathroom and shut the door to talk to her. When home he will go up to his room and shut the door. 

Yes the little bastard could be telling her negative things about me,DH or spying in general. BUT BM LOVES throwing things in DH face so if SS was telling her stuff we most Certainly would hear about it by now. 

Do your SS kids do this too or do they talk openly on the phone to BM?

Crazystepmom09's picture

Ok I’m mid week with our second “vacation week “ with  step Demon from hell. Stepbrat12 has been doing something odd over the last 6 months that he never did before. When bio bitch calls him he will not talk to her in front of either DH or I. Last vacation when we were in a hotel room he went in the bathroom and shut the door to talk to her. When home he will go up to his room and shut the door. 

Yes the little bastard could be telling her negative things about me,DH or spying in general. BUT BM LOVES throwing things in DH face so if SS was telling her stuff we most Certainly would hear about it by now. 

Do your SS kids do this too or do they talk openly on the phone to BM?

momjeans's picture

Skid used to talk openly with BM at our house, but that’s when skid was SUPER young. DH and I quickly became aware (via skid) that BM *did* press her for information after pick-up, though.

Currently, skid doesn’t call and talk to BM when she’s at our house, and vice versa, but I’m 100% sure she at least texts back and forth with her. 

When skid was young, the texting was pretty overt on BM’s part. She’d come right out and ask skid what daddy and momjeans were doing that very moment. Now, I’m pretty sure BM has adjusted her method of inquiries in order to not tip off skid to what she’s doing, as the battle of who could care less is strong with BM.

All that said, I’m positive my DH wouldn’t tolerate this. Why is yours?

flmomma08's picture

My SD is 11 and she always goes to her room to talk, no matter who she is talking to. I think it's just that age where they want privacy when they are on the phone. Does he do it when he's talking to someone else, or just BM?

Kes's picture

My SDs would not talk openly on the phone to NPD BM.   It sounds as if this really bothers you a lot - personally I would not give a stuff what the SDs say on the phone or in person to NPD BM.  I am 100% sure that there have been thousands of conversations about the dreadful Kes over the years, does this bother me? not one jot.  

It would concern me more that DH allows his exW to harangue him about stuff to do with SS.  My DH used to allow NPD BM to do this, for a few years after we met, until eventually he realised the truth of what I was saying to him about it, ie that he did not have to have conversations of this nature with her at all, if he chose not to.  

Thisisnotus's picture

My skids faces turn pale when BM calls as they race around the house trying to find a place to hide and talk.

tog redux's picture

OP, would you be OK with BM insisting on listening to SS's conversations with DH? I'm not clear why a kid can't have privacy speaking to his other parent.

Of course, could she be planting stuff in his head, I suppose. Could he be lying about stuff, maybe.  But IMO, he has the right to talk to his mom privately. 

Thumper's picture

I believe that is a bm move....cant you talk to meeeeee in private? Dosent your dad give you privacy? Gooooo find a place that you can freely talk to meeeeeeeeeeee, gosh I cant believe they wont give you privacy

Lets be real here--kids dont care about it unless they are sneeking around with their friends.

tog redux's picture

Maybe he wants to complain about Dad. That's not the end of the world.

Look, you know I'm all over the parental alienation thing, but wanting to listen to all of a kid's conversations is controlling, and if a BM insisted on that with the kid's phone calls to DH, I'd call it alienation. 

strugglingSM's picture

My SSs do this...one moreso than the other. Overly dramatic SS used to call BM multiple times during our visits to complain. It bothered me, too...especially since BM then turned around and told DH's family that I am jealous of her and that I sit around all day while SSs are with us and say terrible things about her (and DH's family believed her!!!). 

In the grand scheme of things, though, I don't really care what he says to her anymore or what she thinks. She's just bitter about the divorce (even though she was the one who filed for divorce, so she could marry someone else) and about the fact that DH had the nerve to move on and now has a better life than she does. 

If your DH and BM have conflict, BM will likely use the children to inflame the conflict. It's difficult to deal with, but you should try just to ignore most of it, because really, it will only drive you crazy. I say this as someone who is regularly driven crazy by BM and DH's family's insistence that they have to meddle to "protect the children", so I haven't figured out how to disengage, yet, but I'm working on it. 

Sandybeaches's picture

I may have missed something but I don't see a problem with SS talking to his mother in private.  I am not sure what issue you have with it but I think kids and adults are entitled to talk in private especially to their parent.  

I think it is something that you have to just ignore and allow him the privacy.  If you feel something is said that shouldn't be or he is filming your house and sending her pictures yes that is a problem and address it  but I think you just have to let it go.  

strugglingSM's picture

I think it's not so much about the kid talking in private as it is about BM using the kid to collect information and then use it against DH. 

I don't mind if my SSs talk to their mom in private. She creates such a loyalty bind for them, that I know it would make them uncomfortable to even say "hello" to her in front of me. However, I really dislike it that my SSs will call BM when they are with us to complain about me or DH, knowing that she will then text DH and say "SSs don't feel comfortable at your house. They dislike being around you. They're so upset that you them that you hate me!!" As the adult in the situation, BM should know that it puts her kids in an awkward position when she fishes for information about our house or when she serves as their messenger to DH (when they are in the same house with DH). DH has also told SSs that using their phones to cause drama with BM is not okay. 

Also, SSs are only with us for 48 hours twice a month, so really, they (at age 13) should be able to go without checking in with their mother multiple times during that time period. 

I think most SMs feel similarly, if the SKids weren't spying for BM, they'd feel fine with Skids talking to her whenever, but it's not fun to have a spy in your house. Also, most parents wouldn't let their kids speak ill of the other parent if they were still married, so it's hugely disruptive that some parents allow this after a divorce. 

tog redux's picture

Our BM did the same, but honestly, you can't control that by listening in to conversations. Your better bet is to try to work with SS on resisting the pull to spy for her. 

Monkeysee's picture

Honestly, I’m an adult & have nothing to hide from my DH, but when I’m on the phone I usually go to a different room. Sometimes I just want to talk to a friend, my mom, whoever without having an audience. Plus he doesn’t need to be interrupted by my convo. He does the same when he’s on the phone.

My skids call their mum from anywhere in the house, but they’re still young. If they suddenly want to talk to her in their room I won’t see the issue with it. DH wouldn’t like it if BM monitored his calls with the boys so why should he monitor it on our end? The only time I’d have an issue with this is if alienation was an issue or if BM threw it in DH’s face. If that’s not happening then just let the skid speak to their mum. Meh. 

tog redux's picture

Ditto. I hate talking on the phone in front of DH (or anyone), unless it's a simple call. He usually walks away when he gets an involved call, too.

Trying to Stepmom's picture

My SD13 usually goes in the other room to talk to BM and has for years. If she’s in a place where she can’t get away (like the car) she talks super soft or uses short answers. Sometimes in the car we don’t even know she’s on the phone and then gets mad when we’re talking too loud. *eyeroll*

When she was younger, she didn’t always leave the room (BM got her a smart phone when she was 7 going on 8, but that’s another story). But she would run off to her room, hide, and call BM when she didn’t like something DH or I did or said to her. 

justwhy's picture

My SDs 14 and 16 always talked to their mom in private. Mostly text conversations only in front of us. But they are older though. I think it is heathly fo rhim to have some privacy and let him feel like he can talk to his mom freely. He may be making comments and telling her that he misses her and do not want to hurt your feelings. Hopefully he is not playing both sides or talking negatively about you and your husband. If you are being kind and responsible you have nothing to worry about. 

If you find out that he is talking negatively or he is playing both sides, I would have his dad sit him down and have a converstation about how it is not okay to lie or talk badly about someone (whatever the situation maybe)

If i were you i wouldnt worry about it so much, more alone time for you and your hubby <3

My stepdaughers played both sides. Its ridiculous. Their mom walks around like she is perfect and talks to us like we are garbage parents. We just shook it off, cause we would have the kids later and they would talk about how aweful and rude their mom is etc. We just got to the point where my huisband and i know we are good people, we finacially emotional and are there at events physically support them. So they can play all the games and talk all the shit they want.  

Good Luck xo

D

Crazystepmom09's picture

Let’s see to address the questions....SS has VERY few friends(no surprise there) if any so he never gets any calls from friends so can’t say if he would go “hide” if anyone would call. I do recall one kid called a few months ago and SS DID NOT take off and hide like he does with BM  but openly talked to the kid in front of us. 

SS does play up how BM is mean to him( lies to get sympathy from DH) and how DH is his favorite parent (another lie to get gifts). I see through the BS but DH feeds into it. 

So this being said what I think is happening is the little brat is making DH think BM is this monster and that SS does not like her. BM is a bitch but not to SS. Where the truth is SS is lying about BM and how he feels about her. That being said he can’t be telling us how he hates her and all these awful things then be talking all friendly on the phone with her telling her how he misses her and loves her. I think that’s why he hides from us