You are here

SD6 acting like a brat?

MyNest2012's picture

Need some advice, what do you guys think:

Took SD6 to a ballgame last night with a good friend and her family. There was about 12 of us, including another little girl (3 years old). SD6 during the ball game did not stop saying,
1. I'm bored. I'm bored. Daddy I'm bored.
2. When is this going to be over?
3. I'm ready to go.
4. I want cotton candy, can I have cotton candy please please please (on and on and on)
5. I want a balloon, I want a balloon, please please please (on and on and on)

This morning I texted our friend and said thanks for the invite we had a lot of fun. She texted back and said, "really? I'm sorry SD was bored."

It hit me then...SD acted like a total brat, right? I apologized for her behavior to my friend.

Is this normal 6 year old behavior or do we have a brat on our hands?? (She gets coddled a lot due to the split family situation)

MyNest2012's picture

Thanks I feel better after reading that. I guess I was just being over sensitive about my friend's text. Or maybe she was being too sensitive about SD. I had some things for her to play with, including my phone (I charged it so she could play her games). I hear so many stories about kids getting overly spoiled, I just got nervous that maybe we should have been more stern with her.

emotionaly beat up's picture

6 years old at a ball game. Yep, I'm with her I'd be bored. It would be a long night for her. Even if she played on the phone it would still be a long night. But I agree, someone needed to tell her to reign it in or there would be consequences. But you guys maybe want to re think outings in groups like this to ball games. The thing with kids is other people's make noise, yours make music. Your friend wouldn't have been agitated if her child had behaved like this, she would've made excuse, he's tired or whatever, but someone else's child doing it was annoying her. That's not the 6 year olds fault, she was being a bored 6 year old.

jumanji's picture

Ditto what the others said. Unless a kid is a HUGE baseball fan? BORING! But Dad should have reined her in. And/or taken her for a walk.

Seriously - I love a ball game. But it's boring for most kids.