You are here

SD17's Step-Mom is a freaking bitch!

paul_in_utah's picture

Hold on, hold on, before someone here lynches me, hear me out. Here's the set-up:

SD17 lives with me and DW. DW is a hard-core "friend" parent, and has coddled SD17 for years. She also makes a point to avoid conflict with SD17 if at all possible, even to the point of withholding discipline or refusing to punish SD17 when she acts up. However, DW and I do agree on a few key points, and one of those is that SD17 has no business driving. SD17 is extremely irresponsible, and is not ready to get behind the wheel.

Also, it is important to note that DW and SD17's bio-daddy do not have a working relationship. He has been a pain in the ass for the almost 15 years since he left DW. Since he refuses to work with DW, he does not consult her on parenting decisions, and has unilaterlly made a number of choices over the years that have caused us considerable grief (sending SD17 home with several pets so that we would have to take care of them, getting a cell phone for SD17 so that he can call SD17 to chew her out when she screws up, leaving DW to deal with the emotional fallout, etc.).

It is also important to note that SD17's step-mom takes an active role in egging bio-daddy on, encouraging him to engage in behavior that creates trouble for us. Needless to say, we don't get along with her either.

Anyway, we recently found out that SD17's step-mom was picking up SD17 from school so that SD17 could take her driver's permit test. Of course, she and bio-daddy did not talk to us about this ahead of time. Because DW works so hard to avoid conflict with SD17, she has very carefully avoided talking with SD17 about getting her permit, hoping that SD17 wasn't thinking about it. I have repeatedly urged DW to sit SD17 down and inform her that she will never drive while she lives with us, but DW refused to do so.

As you might imagine, DW and I did not want SD17 taking this test and getting her permit. Because SD17 is such a poor student, we had hoped that she would fail the permit test. NOPE! She fucking studied for the test, since that is something that she actually wanted. Too bad she doesn't put that kind of effort into her school work. Now SD17 has a permit - PUKE.

The first time that DW and SD17 drove somewhere after the permit test, they had this conversation:

SD17: Let me drive, I have my permit.
DW: No, I am not going to let you drive my new car!
SD17: I'm a good driver. I'll be careful!
DW: No, you're not ready. And another thing, you're not on the insurancee.
SD17: So?
DW: That means there would be no coverage if you wrecked the car.
SD17: That's stupid!

SD17 then proceeded to pout and cry because she would not be allowed to drive the car. Apparently, she thought that she was entitled to drive as soon as she got the permit, even though she had never discussed with her. DW should have told her about this ahead of time, like I suggested, but SD17 still has some pretty big cahones to think that she would just automatically get to drive. Freakin' entitlement attitude.

This ended up being a win-win for bio-daddy and SD17's step-mom. They get to be the "heros" for taking SD17 for her permit test, and they don't have to worry about SD17 driving their cars, because they only get SD17 2 days a month. DW and I get to be the ogre's because we won't allow SD17 to drive. And of course, we get to keep dealing with SD17 begging to drive, and pouting when she is told no.

Although I am pissed that DW did not level with SD17 a long time ago about her not being able to drive, I am more pissed at SD17's step-mom for meddling in our lives. She didn't take SD17 to get her permit because she likes SD17 - she did it to cause trouble for us. Now the freaking bitch just gets to sit back and laugh at us deal with SD17. SOOO agravating.

my.kids.mom's picture

Wait, first you say DW doesn't discipline your sd, and then you complain that dw has to deal with the fallout of the bio-dad getting onto sd over the phone? At least he is getting onto her! Are you just upset because you want to see it for yourself?

The way I see it, the SM did you a favor. Now that sd can drive, you can hang that over her head for incentive to actually study for school. If her grades come up, she can drive. I'm not sure why you plan on her not driving. You just hoping she will move out one day, drive off into the sunset and mow down people and possibly kill herself because nobody let her drive? I'm confused...

paul_in_utah's picture

Let me clarify a little bit. Bio-daddy calls SD17 to chew her out for things like "not calling him enough," or "not being nice enough to his new wife." He doesn't call in order to discipline her, just to be an a-hole.

As far as SD17 driving, that is not going to happen. For one thing, I can't afford to add her to our insurance. Also, we only have one car, and we can't allow her to total it, which is a near certainty given her "thrill-seeking" personality.

Also, postive reinforcement has never worked with SD17, so letting her drive as a "reward" for good grades would not help. She knows that if she wants to get a "reward," then she has a choice as to whether or not to engage in a desired behavior. She's lazy, and doesn't like to work, so she just chooses to forgo the reward.

dreamingofhappiness's picture

paul_in_utah:

WOW... There is a lot of negativity going on towards your situation right now. Here is my opinion....
1. If said "child" can not carry out necessary responsibilities then they should not be able to drive. Driving is a PRIVILEGE, not a right.
2. If SMommy wanted her to drive, then I guess Insurance and all that comes with driving falls back to that house hold.
3. BM not wanting to engage in argumentative behavior was probably a good choice, to a degree... It is to late now to set boundaries. But... SD Needs to learn them.
4. The unfortunate side off all this if the headaches your household is getting from this.

I do not understand how SM was able to go to the DMV and sign the papers for her permit, but I am sure that is a whole new can of worms.

Keep doing what you are doing. She is not going to learn a damn thing until she finally falls head first. SD that is. Children who have been raised to not care, will remain that way. It sounds to me a lot like the SD manipulated the situation to get her way and to laugh about it with BD... I feel bad that you two have to pay the price of ignorance...

kelly19's picture

I have mixed emotions after reading your story. I wholeheartedly agree BF and SM did this out of spite and it's a miserable thing to do to undermine your authority. I don't agree with your stance about the driving issue however. Driving is a essential skill for a independent adult and I believe that it's the job of any parent or stepparent to try and teach their kids these things. That being said I don't believe you should give her a free pass. When my niece was old enough to get a permit she bugged me about it constantly. I required that her grades improve and that our driving time involve her going to places to look into jobs and higher education programs(college, trade schools) for after high school. She was 16 at the time and while she's still now at age 19 annoying she is attending a junior college and has a decent job as a cashier at a local supermarket. I can't tell you what to do but I think that it might be a good opportunity to try and teach her responsibility and that in the real world you have to work to get something you want

kelly19's picture

Please disregard my post by the time I posted it another user had already made a similar statement but I was in the middle of typing Wink

missbrandy1229's picture

I agree with the people above. It was a dick move on the SM and BF to take her to get the permit. I do feel however that you can use this against her. If she forgoes the reward then you dont have to worry about her driving the car. When I got my permit so many years ago I had an agreement with my parents. I had to make grades no lower than A's and B's and I had to get a part time job in the evenings in order to pay the insurance on the car. This kept me so busy I didn't have much time to get in trouble. If you set the guidelines and she choses not to stay within them, then its on her. You can't be the bad guy for following the rules! Then if she does decide to get her grades up, and gets a job to cover the insurance, start off with small blocks of time on the weekend that she is allowed to use the car. If she can do right and earn trust she can earn more time...if she screws up during the week then no car time on the weekends.

Kes's picture

I don't know if it is the same in the US, but here in the UK, the cost of insuring a 17 year old is huge, about the same as buying a good secondhand car. We have had a discussion about driving with SD16, who wants to learn as soon as she is 17 (in 3 weeks). I said she could have my car, as we have two and don't really need two as DH commutes to work by train. However, I stipulated that SD HAD to get a job to fund the ongoing running costs, and that BM would pay the insurance. So far, we have had no further conversations about it. DH said SD16 said there were no jobs going (rubbish) and I think BM probably doesn't want to pay insurance.

I agree it is very annoying that step dad and SM took this action - but hopefully you can stick to your guns about SD driving your car, and your DW will not take a different approach to you.

Most Evil's picture

I know I do not have all the info as that would make a very long post but - it sounds to me like the BD is the only one who actually does put limits on SD.

SD objects to them because she has never had limits set by anyone else. So I don't see it as him being an ass, I think he is being more of a parent than a friend.

I don't think they are doing this against you or dw, I think he is trying to help his daughter. Clearly driving is an essential skill independent adults need.

And I don't see how her stepmom has anything to do with this, other than helping her husband??

bearcub25's picture

Actually, you don't have to have the driver insured when they have a permit. They are covered until the policy for the auto they are driving e.g. she is driving your car (with licensed adult of course) it is covered under your policy, if she is driving Dads car, it is under his policy.

I agree with you and the others...this would be a valuable teaching tool but you DW has made things incredibly rough by not being the adult in this r'ship nor by talking to her EXH and making things clear how it goes in ur house.

Ouch...bad spot to be in.

icecubenow's picture

Sounds exactly like what happened in my house. Just wait until bio-dad buys her a car when she gets her permanent license. That's all kinds of fun....

BM remarried and all BM and SD17 talk about during monthly visits is what a great life-insurance policy step-dad has and that BM will be loaded of anything happens to him. Step-dad also has a wealthy (mean as a snake) mother. Step-dad is a cruel felon, but his mother simply bought a car for SD17 this summer. Without. Discussing. It. With. DH.

I hit the roof, told DH that under no circumstances would I put one dime toward that car. FOR. ANYTHING. Not paying for insurance, not for gas, not for repairs. NADA. If SD17 can't pay for the car, the car sits. She has insurance under BM's policy (which makes her premium over $100/mo more than if she was under ours.) Step-dad wouldn't title the car to DH, so that means the insurance has to be under step-dad's name, which is in another city in our state 4 hours away. Just about the time SD17 got her permanent license, she told us that BM allowed her to drive everywhere (even the highway) all the time. That she had quite an extensive amount of practice driving with BM. So, voila..."Here's a car for you, Baby Girl. I haven't been there for you all these years, and I've wanted to do this for you." Yep, a direct quote.

BM essentially issued SD17 her freedom to come and go as she pleases. And she does. DH doesn't say no to the child. EVER.

Your SD will drive. You can teach her. It's better that YOU see exactly how she is behind the wheel. If it's inevitable, you sure would want to know what kind of driver she actually is. She may surprise you. My SD17 is actually a very good driver. I taught her. Did I want to? Hell to the NO. But, if she was going to be taking my car (inevitable since DH is so frickin predictable), I wanted to know that she could drive with some sense. If I thought for one second that she was an irresponsible driver...no car.

In the year leading up to SD17 getting her learning permit, I expressed to my DH that I would never allow her to drive my car. She wouldn't be able to handle my car. (Too fast, fun, etc..) Didn't matter. Fell on deaf ears. She did drive my car, DH allowed her to take it without my permission. The car is, after all, in both of our names. His standard answer to me has always been, "What's the point of having a license if she can't drive." DH would pout, clutch his chest, be dramatic. It's always about giving SD17 what she wants. No. Matter. What.

alwaysanxious's picture

This is why I refuse to put stuff in SOs name. I would be livid if SD drove my car. Yes, mine pouted and tried to lay on the guilt about driving my car. I just stare blankly at her and ignore.

alwaysanxious's picture

In my state, both parents must approve of the teen driving. If one parent takes it upon themselves to get the teen a permit, or the teen does it on their own,a parent can submit a form to the dept of motor vehicles and it can be revoked. DW should see if that is an option.

my.kids.mom's picture

I'm not sure what the solution is if you can't afford to put the 17 yr old on your insurance, and can't afford a wrecked car...did nobody plan on this girl reaching 17? How is she going to ever drive? Do you live somewhere with good public transportation? She will forever be in your house if you can't aid her in driving off into the sunset...away from you...I don't get the logic. BTW, how irresponsible can she possibly be if she has to have an adult driver in the car?

paul_in_utah's picture

Lot's of good replies here. I have thought about most of the issues raised here, but it is still good to hear other people's ideas. I don't think offering driving priveleges as a "reward" will work, because SD will be too lazy to do the work to achieve the reward (good grades, etc). However, that might be an "out," as one of the posters noted. If we lay down specific conditions, and SD chooses not to follow them, then it is on her. I may run that one by DW. I also like the idea about telling SD17's that her "perfect" bio-daddy should be the one to teach her to drive.

Also some asked how SD17 will ever leave the house if she never learns to drive, etc. Well, I guess my answer to that is that SD17 will be out of the house after high school, come hell or highwater. DW has already agreed with my plan to rent our house out once she graduates. I travel a lot for work (8-9 month a year), and DW will just travel with me. When we are home, we'll live in an extended stay hotel. We'll have no permanent domicile where SD17 can crash. Extreme, I know, but it is the only plan that will work. I will **NOT** be letting an adult SD17 mooch off of us.

Brady_Bunch_plus_some's picture

What makes you think that your wife, the woman who you have already stated stays away from all conflict, is really going to let you rent the house and kick SD17 to the curb? I just have to ask because I think you are in for a rude awakening when you tell her its time.

I think what BD and SM did is despicable by getting this kid a permit. But with that said, your wife is to blame as well (at least partiality) because she did not make her expectations clear to either BD or SD17.

And I can tell you that in the state of VA I have the right and the duty to take my child's license at any time. I can stop her from getting her license until she turns 18. At that point she can get one on her own because she will be of age. I know this because my kid just got her license and together we had to go to a licensing ceremony where the judge made it very clear to both the parents and new drivers that this is a privilege, not a right. The judge called us up and handed her license to me.

I suggest you find the laws in your state.

And lastly, adding a child with a permit does not increase your insurance premium (at least in VA it did not) but the day she got her license I had to notify my insurance company and yes, it went up exponentially.

Good luck!

paul_in_utah's picture

I will check on point # 1 - I hadn't thought of that.

As for point # 2, unfortunately, if you have a a kid age 14 or up living in your household, you have to add them to your policy, or exclude them. The logic is that your car is "furnished and available for the regular use," by virtue of them living with you, even if you have household rules about them not driving. Adding her to the policy would be **really** expensive.

As for #3, I have been thinking about rolling out a plan for SD17 to drive. There would be several signnificant conditions, of course. If she actually met them, I would be ok with her driving. More on this later.

twopines's picture

>>>1. A stepparent CANNOT sign for a permit. It MUST be a legal guardian.<<<

Wrong.

DH is DD16's stepfather, and he took her to get her permit. All he had to do was show his license and say he was her stepfather.

twopines's picture

Calm down. Everything will be OK. Really, it will be OK.

I commented on getting a driving permit. No more, no less. Your state obviously does things differently than mine. I took my stepbrother to get his driver's license. True, he is not my stepchild, but golly gee it still happened.

beyond pissed-off's picture

I want to comment on the fact that DW did not head this off at the pass by discussing it openly and firmly with the child in the first place. I simply do not understand why bio-parents see an issue coming at them, refuse to do anything about it and then wonder why there are issues later? My FH does this constantly! Rather than confront any of his teen children, he simply sticks his head in the sand and hopes it goes away. IT NEVER DOES! And then he has the nerve to whine and complain when there are problems.

I have tried everything from gently reminding him of the 147 previous times that he has avoided things and suggesting that he do something proactively when a situation is looming to, once everything has blown up in his face, pointing out the obvious fact that he could have avoided the whole thing by, you know, PARENTING! Ugh! Apparently a whole lot of parents are too afraid of potentially upsetting their special little snowflakes to make any attempt at guiding their lives. They would rather simply clean up messes after the fact. What a damned shame.

paul_in_utah's picture

You are preaching to the choir, my friend.

My DW is at least slowly opening up to the idea that SD17 has numerous flaws, but she still avoids tough subjects becuase she doesn't want deal with SD17 "acting up." PUKE.

beyond pissed-off's picture

Exactly what my FH said! The kicker was when I pointed out the inevitability of a teenager "acting up" he said "maybe it won't happen this time." He did not appreciate my suggestion that perhaps the sun would not come up tomorrow! Wink

I have said on several occasions that, at least if he does something proactively then he can have control over the time, place and manner of the "acting up" but he still sticks to the "it might not have to happen." Pretty sure his family crest has an ostrich on it somewhere. Either that or an elephant in a living room with people milling around ignoring it!

paul_in_utah's picture

Quite frankly, my biggest concern is SD17 stealing the keys and getting into a wreck. If we exclude her on the policy and she does steal the car, there will be no insurance coverage for the loss. I haven't researched what will happen if we do nothing (i.e. neither add nor exlude her from the policy), but I am concerned that our carrier might deny claims if we don't specifically add her, since they are aware of her existence, and they might say that I "should" have added her.

After reading some of the responses, I am starting to lean towards allowing SD17 to have a car, but only if she meets very strict conditions (good grades, she pays all costs of the car, etc.). If she doesn't meet the conditions, then her lack of driving priveleges will be her own fault. If she does meet the conditions, then at least she will have gotten good grades, and will have learned just how hard it is to earn a dollar (since she will have to work to pay for the car).

Looking at the long-term, I realize that SD17 will have to learn to drive eventually. My preference would be to put this off until after the house is rented, and she can learn on her own after she moves out. However, if we decide to implement the plan with the conditions, then I suppose there would be some benefit, since she would be able to drive. She would then be able to drive herself to work, etc. Of course, my ultimate fantasy is that SD17 goes to live with her "perfect" bio-daddy, but that will never happen since he does not want to deal with her.

I will keep the board posted on what happens.

alwaysanxious's picture

Do you really think she'll meet the conditions?
Do you really think DW will adhere to those conditions and not make exceptions?

I guess my take on the whole thing is that I just wouldn't want my name on anything relating to her and driving, especially insurance.

When skids are here, my keys are always with me.

hbell0428's picture

I agree - I would be peeved in SM did that - I think it should be the decision of whomever the child resides w/. Period....as far as insurance issues......I know in my state and dealing w/ insurance w/ my job....after she gets her lic she will need insurance of course; adding her will be a lot of $. I expect SM won't pay for this......right; she just wanted to cause trouble. Simply exclude her on your policy. This leagally says that you don't ALLOW her to driver your vehicles.....and if she steals one.......it's not on YOU! Good luck w/ this......

alwaysanxious's picture

Yep. whoever they reside with. BM tried to get SO to pay for car insurance for BMs car so that SD could drive it. He said no, if you want her to drive then that is on you. SDs grades are bad and she hasn't earned driving privileges.

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

Eh... I wanted to comment on this because of a couple of things. It's just my opinion and much of it is pulled from how I was raised.

1. I do believe that driving is an important part of becoming independent and responsible. She will have to learn one day and if it's not through her parents, then how is she going to learn to do so? At 18, she will legally be an adult, and no one can stop her, nor would have the right to stop her from getting a job, buying a car, paying for her own insurance, and driving.

2. Getting a permit does not mean she will be able to drive you and DW's car--it is still yours and if she tries, it will be considered theft.

3. If they want her to be able to drive so bad, then they should provide the insurance and the car. I'm sorry that your DW and her father don't agree on the issue of driving. You are right, it should have been something to have been agreed upon prior to this happening.

4. I think the best route would be, if they want her to drive, then they should provide everything and only at their home (so essentially, she can only drive 2 days a month.) This might cause her to want to move to their house, however. Unfortunately, no one has the right to dictate what goes on at the other person's house.

5. I think I need to iterate the fact that EVERYONE will get into an accident sooner or later and if that is what you fear, then please understand that it is something that will happen to even the best of drivers. Either by their own fault or someone else's. The degree/severity of said accident is a coin toss. Both me and my younger sister both started driving at 17, received cars upon getting our license at 18, driving was NOT a privilege, it was a requirement, so that we can help out around the house (our parents travel a lot for business) and take care of our businesses here, take care of our aging grandparents in case of emergency, etc. We have BOTH gotten into accidents in the last 5 years of driving. I was rear-ended twice at red lights, and my sister rear-ended someone once and got a ticket for answering a cell phone at a red light. It happens, no matter how responsible you are. However, it taught us how to deal with it, including insurance, tickets, and stuff. My parents were so scared about all of our accidents but they knew it was a fact of life. (My sister almost got the car take away, but I asked them what that would do other than prevent her from practicing the very thing she needs practice in.)

It was also interesting that because we ended up being designated drivers for all of our friends, especially when we went to parties and such so we never drank at parties... which honestly can lead to a lot worse decisions than just driving can, if you know what I mean. (Cue 16 & Pregnant theme song.) They never told us outright not to drink and drive, just constantly slipped stories about friends kids who died, got maimed, or otherwise went to jail for doing so.

6. I agree with everyone else that it should be used as a reward, and in your case, would be considered an out. If she doesn't want to follow it, then she can not drive until she earns enough money to buy her own car and insurance, or until someone else does it for her. However, YOUR curfew and rules still apply at your house so long as she lives there. If she doesn't like it, she's welcome to move out.

I think it goes without saying that it is exceptionally difficult for parents to make the transition into treating their children, once they are growing up, like adults that are responsible for making their own choices after having been their caretaker and rule makers for so long. It's a difficult balance for sure. I wish you the best of luck!

Superstopmommy's picture

if the DW and Bio Dad agreed on the permit, it should also include the insurance. The BD can still gain a permit for his daughter. My BD's Dad just that.. we did discuss it and I was totally against it, she was skipping school, had poor grades, etc. He did it anyways and the insurance was on him... not only did he do it just to aggravate me, he also bought her a $10,000 car.. Go figure.. she dropped out of school. Some Bio Parents are just as stated... looking to make the other parent's life torture.