You are here

SD17: "I'm so smart, I get bored at school - that's why I have bad grades"

paul_in_utah's picture

Yep, that little jem came out of SD17's mouth tonight, after we confirmed another disappointing round of grades for the spring semester. SD17 has a massive ego, and has delusions of grandeur about her abilities and her place in the world. This is typically manifested by shooting her mouth off about how "awesome" she is, or "dictating" plans to DW, but it sometimes pops up in the realm of academics. Tonight may have set a new standard of BS from SD17.

As a bit of background, SD17 has struggled in school for years. She NEVER, and I mean NEVER, can be bothered to do homework, and often doesn't even turn in assignements that she completes at school. Also, I have never seen her study for a test. And voluntarily read to improve her vocabulary and writing skills? Ha! Books are like kryptonite to her. She NEVER reads. Needless to say, she's not a great student. However, she is a prettty effective liar - at least to DW. I can't tell you how many times she has had zeros on assignements, and she blamed the teacher for "not recording the grades yet." SD17 knows that we can't easily disprove this (since we'd have to wait until school is in session to call the teacher), and DW bought this BS for years. Or if she has a bad grade in a class, she is "going to do good" on her next test, which will bring up her grade. By the time the test grade is posted, DW forgets, and doesn't think to get onto her for bombing a test.

I have long since disengaged, but I still follow my DW's plight with a certain amount of amusement. DW is under the impression that SD17 possesses above-average intelligence, but is just lazy. DW is in denial about SD17's intelligence of course, as this kid is average at best, but she at least acknowledges that SD17 is lazy and doesn't do her work. When DW got onto SD17 about her poor grades, she gave the interesting excuse mentioned in the title above, that SD17 is "so smart, she gets bored," and doesn't pay attention in school. DW reminded SD17 that even smart people have to pay attention in class, and also have to do their work. To this, SD17 said "I don't like to do work. It's boring."

Needless to say, I nearly shit myself when I heard this. SD17 is so full of herself that I need to wear rubber boots around her, to keep from stepping in her shit. Even better, SD17 is "planning" on being a veterinarian. This is a job that will require 4 years of college, 4 years of vet school, and probably many years of residency-type work. Even intelligent kids would struggle with this, and it is a LOT of work. SD17 is neither intelligent, nor a hard worker, so there is no way that she is going to be a vet. It is a real struggle keeping my mouth shut when she shoots her mouth off about being a vet, since it is never going to happen. She is so entitled, I actually think that she believes that she should just be able to hang out a "vet" shingle without going to college or vet school, and the money will start pouring in.

SD17 is really out there. I know it's mean, but I am actually looking forward to her falling on her face with respect to academics (she has made my life hell for years, I think it would just be karma balancing). She has much more difficult courses next year, and if she keeps up her bad habits, she will flunk classes and not even graduate high school. I'm sure that she be expecting us to keep housing her after she fails out of high school, but that ain't happening. DW and I have already discussed this, and if necessary, we will invoke the "nuclear option" to keep SD17 from sponging off us. This entails us selling our house and maintaining no permanent residence, for the express purpose of forcing SD17 to take care of herself. Since she's so smart, that shouldn't be a problem Wink

Yme's picture

bahahaha! Like the "Nuclear Option" part!! Gotta work on DH about that one!!!!! I would rather poke my eyes out that support my SD 1 second after she turns 18!!!! She is the most rude & ungreatful person I have EVER met!! I am thinking now how to get her the hell~o out as soon as she turns 18 (she is on track to graduate at 17 almost 18) "my" job will be done at that point!!!!! Since I have done such a "bad" job mothering and raising you, SD, living on your oun "raising" yourself will be a peice of cheese cake! OH yeah! SD, your allergic to cheese cake, Right?? HUMMMMMM....KARMA!!

paul_in_utah's picture

Oh no, I'm sure that isn't going to happen. SD17 would be "too good" for those kind of jobs. She has that SpermClan hubris you know.

zonianne's picture

i have same problem with sd13, its ridiculous....she wants to be a vet also and she managed to fail every semester...she keeps telling me she needs to be on meds...bullshit all she wants is an easy way out...one thing is for sure she is not staying or living with us unless she is going to school and making the grade i refuse...kids dont understand how important it is to make the grade..like a 1.3 gpa is going to get them anywhere...

Arya's picture

Just a quick comment from someone with ADD-I was not diagnosed until I was 20, and all through school my grades were less than stellar. I tested extremely well, and was moved into the "smart" classes based on this. My boyfriend claimed to be the same way, but in reality he has a giant ego when it comes to knowing more than his teachers. He has a genius IQ, but does not use it because he grew up in a home that told him he didn't have to do anything well for others because he's so smart. He is absolutely regreting his behaviour now (i'm just regreting that I chose to go unmedicated for another 9 years after being diagnosed the 1st time. Man, being able to concentrate like normal people is pretty cool).
If she is a wonderful tester, it could very well be that she is bored in school. if she is not a good tester it's probably because she's a dumbass who's more concerned with her social life than getting ahead when she gets older.