You are here

SD12 avoiding family again...

Maroma1984's picture

This weekend we are driving down to visit my inlaws for the holidays. We were supposed to have SD12 for the weekend and seeing as every time we go they find a reason for her to not go we decided not to say anything. BM texts my husband yesterday saying "You daughter started her 'cycle'. She wants to stay home this weekend." Seriously?

This would be her first period ... but am I really supposed to believe that it started the day before she supposed to come over? Not to mention that SD12 is posting all over Facebook how she's excited about something she's doing Saturday with her friend. That 'cycle' is obviously ruining her life!

Honestly , I'm glad she's not going. I hate taking a trip and having to deal with her crap for 2 days. I just really feel bad for her family. I feel like we have a baby now and we aren't bringing around their other granddaughter. Like I wished for her to be gone and now it's suddenly happening. Bleh. My husband says I'm being ridiculous.... I guess I'm getting the evil step mom hibbie jibbies!

What do you think of all this?

mskaye2012's picture

Once kids start getting older they start to spend more time with their friends. I think it happens to all parents and maybe she didn't want to make her dad feel bad.

Orange County Ca's picture

As the others said this is normal behavoir. If Dad were here asking my advise would be to tell the daughter he would like to change weekend visitations to Sunday night dinners. Even that will eventually interfere with the kids life too much but for now he'll get to see her once a week.

boogeymom's picture

I'm so jealous of you right now, I WISH my skids wouldn't want to come around DH's family. I wish it HARD. You shouldn't feel bad, you should feel awesome and be thankful that you got your holiday wish. Just remember there are those less fortunate, like me, who's skids not only DON'T avoid the family, but actually actively WANT to be around DH's family and will do whatever it takes to come around often and be super annoying. I, too, thought once the skids hit adolescence, they would want to avoid adults like the plauge...unfortunately, the opposite is proving to be true for SS11 and SS13. :/

VikkiW's picture

I have noticed something similar with my SD11. She has been wanting to stay at her moms more and more. And last week DH took her to a movie and bought expensive toys . Now this week she didn't want to come over for the weekend so Hubby kinda bribed her (seems like it anyway) with promise of taking her out some where and a movie. Now she wants to stay the night. DH is not the one to go to a movie and always used to say no when she asked. For some reason i feel like mom and dad are competing. The mom also just got her an expensive game system but could be a coincidence... I have heard about this happening. The parents compete and do things for the child so that she favors one over the other.. OR the guilt parenting and naybe they feel guilty that they are no longer together and try to make up for it by being extra nice to the child? Idk. All i know is i was happy to not have to see her much( as hard as it is to admit) but i feel bad for my husband when she says she doesnt want to come over.

NicoleRB's picture

I have a SD12 and she and her BM are very weird about her new period.  Basically ever since she got it about 5 months ago, she has acted like she is completely miserable at our house when she's with us.  It has gotten to the point where my fiance may approach her to confront her and see if she wants to live with BM more now-- we have 50% custody.  She isn't nice to me, she doesn't seem to want to be here (she does what I call "outsources" herself when she's at our house by setting up play dates with friends so she doesn't have to be here).  Tomorrow is Father's Day and my sons 16 & 13 will have to leave tonite to go to their Dad's all day.  I am NOT looking forward to being with Debbie Downer (aka SD12) and I am really hoping she isn't a complete biache and ruins her Dad's day.