You are here

SD11 is mean to my animals:(

katielee's picture

In October, our bulldog had 11 puppies. I loved them ALL but of course, we had to sell most of them. There was this one puppy, though, that I bottle fed...a girl dog I fell totally in love with.

We had already picked out the big male dog, which was why we bred the dog to begin with, but I really wanted to keep my little runt and said so to my husband. He flat out refused...said we don't need three dogs on the property, too much work, blah, blah, blah. This was all said in front of SD. My mistake.

Two weeks later when she came back over, it was already a given that we were keeping the little runt puppy. SD threw a fit. Why do you get to keep a puppy and I don't get to keep one? I want to keep the white one. Daddy, can I keep the white puppy. Please? I want to keep the white puppy... on and on she went. DH told her no and meant it.

So SD hated my little runt puppydog and was mean to her. The puppy wouldn't let SD touch her. She'd put her ears back and run. But she was my baby and I loved her to pieces.

Then she got parvo and died the next day, even though she had already had two puppy shots. The vet said this was the most aggressive form of parvo he had ever seen, and the fastest. So I lost my baby and I was heartbroken.

SD was so happy she was giddy that my puppy died. Kept saying the mama dog was "hers" and the male dog was "daddy's" but my puppy died, didn't she? I swear I heard it like ten times. Finally she said it in front of dh and he told her that the male dog was mine now. Which i true. If you ask him, he's my baby, too. ALL those puppies were my babies:)

So now SD is mean to the male puppy. He runs from her with his ears back and hides behind me whenever she's around. He's a very friendly dog, but he won't go to her. DH caught her hitting him this weekend, and then she did something that made him yelp. DH fussed at her but that was all.

Here's the thing. These are Pitt Bulldogs. I am afraid if she keeps being mean to him that he will dislike kids, and we can't have that. I'm afraid I'll end up losing he puppy because she is such a brat. With all the mess going on with the seating competition between sd and I, I hate to bring this up to dh, but I think I am going to have to.

msg1986's picture

This makes my heart hurt. My Fss likes to taunt my dogs too, I have a chihuahua and Chi/Terrier. Fss has his cons but this is the biggest one. I hate hate hate when he messes with my dogs.

Your DH needs to address this because the last thing you need is for her to abuse the poor dog and the dog retaliate and then the dog get put down Sad

What an asshole kid. ugh.

RedWingsFan's picture

Ok, speaking as a former dog trainer, vet tech and animal rescuer - NEVER leave SD alone with ANY of your dogs, male, female, young or old. If she's displaying tendencies of being mean and/or hurting them, it's only a matter of time that one of them retaliates (and I'd say the same if they were any other breed of dog as well) and does MAJOR damage.

Time to sit DH down and ask why on God's green earth is he tolerating his daughter mistreating ANY animal? Yelling at her is NOT going to make her stop. Serious and severe consequences must be handed down to her FROM HIM and I mean NOW - otherwise she's gonna pick the wrong dog to fuck with.

Pits are the sweetest dogs I've ever had the pleasure of fostering/owning/rescuing. But every dog has its limit and unfortunately, with the bad rep that Pits have, if one attacks her in self defense, that dog is doomed.

If you catch SD in the act of hurting any animal - you need to reprimand and punish her immediately. And I'm not just saying "go to your room" for an hour. I mean, severe (take away whatever she loves for a week, no questions asked).

Please let me know if I can do anything else.

christinen's picture

Ewwww, what a brat! I literally got pissed reading this. You and DH need to put a stop to the kid's behavior IMMEDIATELY! Not only do you obviously not want the dog being hurt, but what if she does something to the dog, the dog bites her, and then dog gets put down even though he was just defending himself?

There needs to be some SERIOUS and IMMEDIATE consequences for this behavior. I have a dog that I had for a couple years before DH and I got together and he is my BABY and I would smack SD right in her face if I ever saw her put a hand on my dog, I swear I would.

herewegoagain's picture

Ah, sorry, big issue for me.

1. you allow a kid to mistreat a dog and don't scream and shout at your DH, your skid, whoever, that is a problem
2. I don't believe in breeding more dogs when there are so many out there without a home, especially for people to make money

katielee's picture

This was the one and only litter our dog had. We are NOT breeders. We just had so many people wanting a puppy from our sweet mama dog (us included) that we agreed to breed her ONCE. I doubt we made a dime on them, since we fed them and cared for them until they were ready to go to good homes, and then we sold them for much less than they were worth to friends and family (where we knew they would be happy and well cared for.)

And I am gearing up to shout at my dh. I LOVE my puppy. He is my baby. So please don't judge me. I am trying.

StickAFork's picture

I think it was the movie "The Rock" or something...

LOSERS TRY.
Winners go home and f*ck the prom queen.

Sometimes, "trying" just isn't good enough. It's not the effort that counts. It's the actions.

StickAFork's picture

^^^^THISTHISTHIS^^^^

OP, Bulldogs, from what I know from people who DO breed them, is that litters don't "just happen" with bulldogs. They need to be...um, "facilitated" so to speak.

fedup13's picture

The OP said this is a pit bull not a "bulldog" as in an English or French Bulldog. Pit bulls do not need assistance with breeding, English or French bulldogs usually do and have to have assistance/C-sections for delivery.

katielee's picture

Nah... Mama Dog and Baby Daddy had no problem conceiving them by themselves:) And I helped her deliver them on the living room floor.

katielee's picture

My daughter caught her smacking my cat repeatedly in the middle of the night. It was loud enough that it woke my daughter up (she was sleeping in the same room). My daughter, being quite a bit more outspoken than me, went straight to her dad the next morning. SD wasn't allowed to touch the cat for several weeks. Obviously, that didn't do the trick since she's still being mean to animals.

(It's probably a good thing my baby girl doesn't live in the area. She's very much an animal lover and would probably smack her herself.)

katielee's picture

Thank you. I grieve over her still:( I literally had to take two days off of work (plus the weekend) I was so devastated.

RedWingsFan's picture

AnaR took the time to type out exactly what needs to happen. I was more focused on the animal part and protecting them, because that's my first instinct.

Anyhow, I agree 100% with everything Ana said above. This kid needs help psychologically and you definitely need to get your DH to see this is very serious and needs to be handled properly.

fedup13's picture

^^and this^^ Cruelty to animals is often a precursor to sociopathic/psychopathic tendencies. It is very well documented. It is not always the case, but it is sometimes. She is cruel to you with her words and cruel to your pets with her actions, she is immature, she is manipulative, and I am going to bet a lot more, and I am also going to bet that she is very well aware of what she says and does and is doing it on purpose for some reason. She most certainly needs counseling. DH's kid is violently cruel to animals, or at least he is when given a chance. I do not allow him to be anywhere near my pets at all. They stay in my room with me when he is here and I would NEVER leave the house with him here. This is one issue Katielee where I would advocate for total involvement on your part. I can guarantee you that if skid were to ever by some chance get the opportunity to be mean to my animals, this disengaged lady would become engaged as fast as possible to put the little shithead in his place. You have a right to stand up for your pets and DH should back u on it 100%.

oldone's picture

I hate to tell you this but if she is this cruel and mean at 11 you probably have a lost cause. Maybe she won't end up in prison but she will be a boil on the ass of the world.

imjustthemaid's picture

When my SD was 11, she murdered her hamster. Then she got mad that my DD still had a hamster to play with so she murdered her hamster too. Then DH got my a pug puppy for Christmas that year and I caught her being mean to her. I kept her far away. Now we have two pugs and they both hate her. SD is 16 now-we got the first pug when she was 12, next one when she was 13.

When I am home I keep the dogs in my bedroom with me. If she is left home alone with them (its pretty rare) I notice when I get home that they are both hiding from her in their crate.

DH made her well aware that if we catch her being mean to the dogs, she will be the one to go, not the dogs. The only time the dogs go anywhere near her is to go in her room and poop on her bed! They don't do that anywhere else in the house!!

My SD has no feelings, no sympathy or empathy for anyone or anything at all. Its very scary!!

Living the dream's picture

An airtight case for tubal ligation can be made based on this story. You have my sympathies.

Cocoa's picture

let us know how your conversation with your dh turns out please.

katielee's picture

Oh wow...I am so overwhelmed. I guess I didn't realize how bad this could get until some of you all pointed it out. I tried all evening to figure out how to bring this up to my husband but ended up not doing it. I have at least a week before she comes back over. I think I'll confer with the women of my family (a pretty formidable bunch when we all put our heads together;)) and try to come up with the best way to approach it with him. HE is actually the only person she listens to, including her mother. EVERYBODY else has problems with her...teachers, babysitters, everybody, so HE is the one who will have to put a stop to this. But I'm not above screaming my head off about it.

I will keep you all updated. Thanks so much for the advice.

Jellybeam's picture

You both need to get in this kid's face about it!! 11 years old is way old enough to know better than to harm an animal. I would ground the little bitch to her room and let the puppy have run of the house. Call the cops on her. She is being cruel to animals. I hope it bites her head off.

Crazy_in_Ohio's picture

Thank goodness SO's children are good with animals for the most part (my dogs are long hairs (Chow mixes) and they often like to remind that their dad hates BIG LONG HAIRED DOGS - they don't know their dad at all!!!). I'd have beaten them if they did ANYTHING bad to my dogs or cat.

I agree with some of the other posters - that's just horrific behaviour for an 11 year old. I hope your DH takes this seriously. It makes me sad just thinking about it.

My son is like the animal whisperer - if it was up to him we'd have so many animals, I'd have to quit my job and open a zoo. I love that quality about him. He does draw the line as mosquitos. They are apparently fair game for him. Smile

katielee's picture

My kids are all three animal lovers. My oldest son has two beautiful Great Danes and an adorable teacup pig. My other son has three cats and two snakes (I know, right?) and my daughter has one of our sweet pitt bull puppies that she is thoroughly in love with. I can't imagine any of them ever mistreating an animal, even at age 11. My granddaughters are both under the age of 4 and already know how to treat animals.

katielee's picture

I don't know. I do. Some people call them Bullies, too. Mine are officially American Bulldogs, but most people call them pit bulls. I used to tell the puppies they had little bulldog hearts. A couple of them chased off my big rooster when they were about 1/3 his size. He just walked over to check them out and towered over them. They chased him all the way across the yard and he ran for his life...lol. They don't scare easy:) I love bulldogs.

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

My former neighbor had an American Bulldog and she would throw a fit if someone called it a pit bull, but it did look exactly like a Pit to me.

I have never heard of one referred to as a bulldog, but I am no dog expert either.

fedup13's picture

It is common around here for people to refer to them as bulldogs. I don't know about everywhere though.