You are here

SAT scores & college

Trinka's picture

Anyone know how much emphasis colleges put on SAT scores? SD has great grades in honors classes but her SATs pretty much ..... Suck. Well they are average. On the new format test she got 1570.

I think she may have problems getting into the schools she wants. UMASS, u of New Hampshire....,

Aeron's picture

You can google the averages for the schools, the info is generally pretty readily available.

It looks like the UMass Amherst average sat score is 1197 and a 3.66 GPA for fall 2012 admission.
U of NH admissions page says most accepted students have a B+ or higher average and a1640 sat.

The emphasis itself... I think admissions officers are more likely to overlook slightly lower test scores if there's a high GPA in more rigorous classes. With a well rounded bunch of extracurriculars, volunteering, a good essay and good recommendations, I think they'd overlook a slightly lower sat score. But so much is based on the school itself and even on the person who reviews the app. She should apply anyway IMO, and apply to a couple back ups as well.

Trinka's picture

I don't know. I am not "allowed" to take active involvement according to bm.

Trinka's picture

She is retaking the sats. Third time. She gets As in honors because she works her ass off. Not cuz she beyond intelligent. ( like everyone thinks she is.... By everyone. I mean her mom)

She doesn't have great extracurricular activities. Volunteers one day every 6 months or so. Is involved in one after school club.
Works one 5 hours a week off. Worked maybe 10 hrs a week over the summer.

No one listens to me. I told her to volunteer allllll summer In the field she wants to be in. She didn't cuz mom wouldn't allow it (cuz I got her the opportunity).

Think she is reaching realllly far ...

Thank u

ltman's picture

Take core classes at a community college and then transfer to preferred college.

At least you guys knew to do sat or act. Gs20 when he arrived had not done any of it. He was never pushed to do it by either parent. His high school GC didn't push since he told her he was going into the military. He shows up here wanting to be a teacher with no entrance exams, no way to get financial aid of any sort(thanx parents) and definitely not military material. Out of state tuition is 4.5x's more per credit hour. It's been an eye opening experience on how utterly parents and school can fail a kid.

jumanji's picture

Well, I can tell you that my oldest carried a full load of Honors/AP classes, got a 2350 on his SATs, and a 4.0 unweighted GPA. And did not get into several prestigious schools.

With 1570 SATs? She can kiss UMass & UNH adios.

Trinka's picture

To boot her "safety school" is a private school - less than 2000 students. And 42k per year!

Her and bm need a huge reality check.

WintyWen's picture

The amp and speakers in a modern HDMI capable audio receiver work the same way as on an older receiver. The point of having a newer receiver isn't about that, it's about having the ability to accept digital audio/video inputs, which then gives you a MUCH cleaner audio signal that will then go to the speakers.

adwords agency