You are here

S-kids to S-parents

I am trying's picture

Just wondering, how many of you out there were step-kids and then became step-parents yourselves and how does that affect your perspective of step-parenting?

My parents have been together almost 50 years, and all of my siblings are full-blooded siblings so I had NO concept of divorce, remarriage, half-siblings, children out of wedlock, etc.

My DH's parents divorced when he was 3 (they only got married because she was pregnant with DH) and he has a half-brother on his mom's side from when she was a teenager (apparently a barn dance got rowdy). DH's mom then cheated on his dad with a member of their bowling league and then divorced the dad and married the new guy. So DH was a step-child too. Practically everyone in DH's family is divorced/remarried with kids by multiple partners. Even DH's grandparents are divorced and his grandfather has some offspring from before that marriage too! SD's mom is married and has 2 kids with her husband, and they just found out her husband has a 10 year-old kid from before he met BM. BM herself was a step-child, so it's nothing new to any of them! As much as I feel their situations are strange, it seems I'm the alien in this world!

I just can't help but feeling that if I had been in a step-situation as a child, I may be more sympathetic to SD's cause and may understand her bizarre behaviour. Because, while it drives me absolutely nuts, DH seems to think most of it is par for the course! Is that the case for any of you? I want to know what your take is.

holyhansolo's picture

I was a step kid and I now help take care of my boyfriend's son, so I'm in the beginning stages of step-parenting, I suppose. His son is only 4 and he liked me the day I met him, so I haven't had to experience any bizarre behavior.. but children of divorce can be very confused, hurt, and sad.. their whole life gets destroyed when their parents split up, my siblings still refer to the day we were told about the divorce as "D-Day" and it's been over 12 years since that day.

Since you can't relate to her, which is neither your fault nor your SD's, maybe talking to your husband about how he felt as a child in those certain situations. Or maybe going to counseling. I was in therapy for awhile just to help me understand why my mother was the way she was and why she did the things she did. Sometimes having a 3rd party to listen to you and take a look into your situation can help you deal with it better.

Luna1234567's picture

I was a step kid. I have a lovely step father who came into my life when I was nine years old. I was never b**chy to him. My sister who was a teen at that time was trying to drive him crazy...intentionally....she would literally find any reason to disrespect him, call him names, and try to cause problems between him and my mom. Even though I was just a kid back than, I knew she was being evil. Yeah kids are evil sometimes...my sister was. After a few years...about 2 or three years she finally started being nice because she realized that he was a great guy. Our biological father was never in our life(his own choice) so I don't know how it would have been if I already had a dad. I was just really happy to finally have a dad...when my step dad came along and I loved him and still do. We're all adults now and he is very involved in our lives. He's always the first person to help us when we're in trouble.

Now, I feel like I can never be the kind of step parent he was because I'm just unable to bond with ss6. It could be because his mom hates me and she's evil...but I just don't feel like the kid loves me or even likes me. His presence really annoys me and I count the hours till he leaves. I don't think we'll ever love each other...we've already been in each others lives for 4 years already and it hasn't happened. I'm currently 37 weeks pregnant and I can't help but think that I want my child to look nothing like him. I don't want him to act like him either. He's like a mini twin of his mom...he even makes the same facial expressions...I don't even think he resembles my husband at all...imagine he's not even his.
It's unfortunate because I've been able to bond with kids I use to baby sit more than I can bond with him....We're not a good match...me and this kid. =-(

I don't think his parent's divorce is an excuse to not like me...he was like a year and a half when they seperated so he doesn't even remember his parents living together or any of that. I have been involved with his father and we've been living together since ss6 was 2 years old.....and i don't understand how parents can say these kids lives are sad. If they were too young when the divorce happened..too young to remember than they're not living a sad life. I couldn't remember my parents seperation and it never even crossed my mind as a very young kid because I just couldn't remember it. I didn't feel sad....Half, if not more people are divorced these days...so how do these kids have a harder life than other kids....heck he doesn't have a harder life than I did as a kid...I mean I didn't have the luxury of having two different homes, two beds, three bikes....and I couldn't leave the house and go to my other house when I felt like changing places...yeah...so some of these DIVORCE kids actually have a quite Luxurious life compared to Divorce kids who don't have both parents.

Luna1234567's picture

I've had alot of one on one time with him...but all my efforts were unappreciated. His mother decided to bounce and ditch the country for 3 months this summer and I took care of him full time(his father works till 10 pm). So I was doing everything for him...feeding,bathing,entertaining him, and cleaning up after him...and I'm pregnant...But I have decided to give up because he always says racist remarks to me or about me...yeah he tells his dad he should be married to a black woman instead of me and says I'm not family because I'm not the same color. He won't let me even speak to his dad when he's around because he's either extremely jealous or possesive...and he constantly disrespects me...he never even says hello to me when he enters the house even after I took care of him alone for 3 months straight.

The other day he just walks past me and says to me "You're ugly"...and this just came out of nowhere...it's not like we were fighting or anything.
I feel that the older he gets the harder it is...If he was a toddler I wouldn't be hurt by his behaviour at all but he's almost 7 now....and I'm tired of giving so much of myself or my time. He is not my responsibility...so I'm disengaging and nothing will make me change my mind. I have better things to put my energy into. I'm 24 and still have a few classes to finish my nursing degree and I have a baby on the way..then I'll have to look for a job...so his 2 parents can stress themselves out over their responsibility which they brought into this world and I'll worry about what's actually my responsibility.
After taking care of him on my own for three whole months and realizing neither my husband, nor his ex appreciated it at all...and the kid hates me...I swore to never do it again....because I don't have to. He already has two parents and when I got married to my hubby I didn't decide to adopt his child, he's not motherless and he's not mine. I'm not going to take care of other peoples responsibilities or be a free baby sitter for anyone.

Thatonegirl's picture

My parents divorced twice, and both times it was the best thing to happen. Seriously, at 7 and then 9 years old, I was elated that my parents would finally stop bringing the worst out of each other. I met my step mom when I was eleven and fell in love with her and her kids. My brothers were less then excited but they didn't remember the fighting and constant bickering between my parents that I did. My SS will never remember a time when his parents were together, and SO and I are glad for it. I've been in his life since he was eight months old and I'm greatful that he will never experience the toxicity between his parents. I can't say that I love my SS yet, but I love when he is around and once we move closer I am sure that a special relationship between he and I will exist sooner rather than later. Do I believe it's going to be difficult? Heck yes, because I was no angel, but I had an amazing role model to step parenting and know it comes with the territory of being with someone who has a child. I just hope that when SS is old enough and perhaps finds himself in a step parenting role he will know that I am available for help and guidance like my SM is for me.

I am trying's picture

Hahaha! Wow our situations are totally similar...so you say you're a "shitty stepmom"...what does that mean for you?

I totally think I am a shitty stepmon too. I mean, we've had our instances of SD lying and manipulating and trying to make me look bad, but overall she's not a typically "bad kid". I just find her annoyingly clingy, extremely nosy, and a total drama queen (acts like she's 5 when she's almost 13). I also struggle with the fact that she just flat out shouldn't be. My DH knew BM for only 3 WEEKS before he knocked her up, and I just simply don't understand how people don't get the unprotected sex = baby equation. So it's definitely my responsibility to be the adult and acknowledge that she didn't ask to be born and it's not her fault, but every time she does some little scheme to get attention, it basically throws me into a rage and I don't really get over it. It's like I hold every shitty thing she's done against her, even when I should be the mature one and just forget about it. As a result, we are either totally awkward around each other, or when I make more of an effort to spend time with her and show interest in bonding she clings on so tight that I basically can't go to the bathroom alone for the entire weekend and I'm so stressed that I swear I'm never hanging out with her again!

What's your step-parent situation like?

I am trying's picture

Seriously STORY OF MY LIFE!!! I too tried for years to get past my dislike of SD and go out of my way to do things with her while DH would just basically make her sit in her room all day and would only talk to her to tell her to come eat or to take a shower, or to pack up cause it was time to go. I would feel bad so I would take her shopping, movies, walks, play games with her, etc. and though she would cling to me so hard for that entire weekend (to the point that I was worn out and was like can you please not follow me to the bathroom) but just like you, the next weekend she'd show up and completely ignore me and had to be told to say hi. But I would be hesitant to say hi to her as well since as soon as you say hi you are saying to her "come be my best friend and never ever leave my side"...some day she's going to make some guy very happy...to get a restraining order! DH knew BM for 3 weeks only when she lied about birth control to get pregnant so she'd finally have a "family"...it's like DH resents SD's very existance so he is such a lazy father but yet expects me to be all "mothery" with her? I don't think so....SD also complains about food (actually asked if she was being poisoned due to pinkish tinge and slight amount of blood in medium-cooked steak)...irritating is right!

Ashleystepmom's picture

"So, yeah I knew what to expect, but it did NOT prepare me for what I am going through. You kinda got to just experience it yourself to understand it. Being a skid is far easier than being a step parent, that's for damn sure."

I totally agree with this. 100%