You are here

Really worried

Edie's picture

Looking for some advice yet again! I have been having problems with my SD behaviour for a while now and i'm actually concerened that this runs deeper than just naughtiness. At first she came across as just wanting it all her own way, whinning lots at meal times or whenever she got frustrated because my daughter didnt want to play. Me and my partner have been clashing over it with him feeding into her tantrums with attention because he feels guilty. I spoke to him about it it and he has been brilliant since, which has led to us being able to team up so she can't get away with stuff. However, over the last few weeks SD has started to act withdrawn and constantly crying when food comes out and looks quite frankly depressed. She is only 8. She has told us she misses mummy. I think this is completly understanderble but she looks worrying forelorned and i think she is lossing weight. We spoke with her about meal times and she said that BM had told her to ask for smaller portions when she is with us. I already give her a smaller portion and if i reduce it further she will not be getting enough food to sustain her and to be healthy. When i put food in front of her she picks and then cries unless its a cheese sandwich. We spoke to BM and she said she doesnt have a problem her end with eating but SD says she has the same problem at home. If i ask her what mummy does to help she says she doesnt know and gets distressed. a few months ago she was eating new things and would say to me that my food is better than mummys! I would respond with i'm sure mummys is lovely too and she would go quiet. I'm worried that something underhand is going on at home and mum is making her feel bad about liking my food or trying things for me. I say this because a few weeks back she tried sausages with me for the fisrt time ( I'm shocked by the foods she hasnt heard of)  She loved them so i told her i would make toad in the hole for her next week. When she came she said mummy had made it in the week for her. She was also coming happily and often wanting to stay an extra night, now she is saying she doesnt wan to sleep. We went to court for access and she was supposed to stay 3 nights a fortnight but mum said she felt it was too much for her and asked if we could reduce and build up to it. We agreed as we didnt want sd to struggle, then bm said could she come home early on the sunday  . We thought it was to have her bath at home for school the next day so asked what time and she said sunday morning. So we said no. Now SD is saying she thinks 2 nights is too much for her as she misses mummy. Then this week we got a message from BM saying SD  wants to see us but not sleep. My partner had voiced his concerns to BM about all of this and asked her if she has told sd to ask for smaller portions and BM cherry picks what she will respond to. Said she isnt worried about sd eating and she is sorry to hear we are having problems!  My partner and i have had a fall out today because i feel anxious as SD is coming tomorrow and i am worried about what it will bring. I feel my partner should seek professional advice as we have already been to court and i felt then we were dealing with parent alienation. My partner has alread had the most absured accusations thrown at him with social services involvement and was all found to be bullshit. I'm worried BM will flip things on us and make more accusations due to SD acting withdrawn here and BM saying she has no problems at home. Which i feel is untrue. I'm so tired of living on eggshells not knowing whats going to happen next or how SD will be at the weekend. Could SD be baheaving like this intentionally because we have put our foot down? I'm pretty good at sussing people out and to me she looks very unhappy and conflicted. Could this be enmeshment between BD and SD? Is BM acting the saviour and making SD victim. I'm so confused but can't help thinking i'm starting to become aware of stuff but can't put my finger on whats going on.  I've written this so fast i havent checked spelling and grammar or anything! Sorry!

Edie's picture

Just wanted to add i have just told my partner that i dont know if how i feel about SD coming this weekend as i am worried it is distressing her and i don't feel comfortable with the way things are going. If anyone has any advice that can give me some clarity it would really help. Also, anything i can do to protect ourselves this end? I'm worries BM might cause problems for me as a mum to my children. She has called nspca in the past and told them she worries about my ability to parent while im in a relationship with my partner, who she claims is evil and voiced she wished he would die so she never had to see him again. She also recently told him, her home was meant to be his forever home! So he can't be that bad if she is still upset he moved out. Social severices investigated us and raised that they had concerns over mums anxiety and that it looks like BM feels threatened and our only hope is that she meets someone herself.

Lndsy747's picture

Every kid is different and although I think it's normal for kids to have trouble with the transition between homes I don't think 3 days  sounds be too much for an 8 year old. 

I think based on what you said BM is displaying alienating behavior and making SD feel guilty about liking your food. I think that's why SD feels conflicted.

I looked at your previous posts and I think disengaging a little from SD is the best way to go. I know you want to help her it's something I still struggle with myself but most likely you'll just end up getting your feelings hurt when it's not appreciated.

Edie's picture

CO states that we are to have SD every other weekend from friday - monday and half all holidays. The CO started last year and SD was absolutely fine until BM started to ask if she could reduce it saying SD was struggling. We had seen no evidence of her struggling. In fact she had never even mentioned BM or raised that she was missing mum. Which i thought was rather strange in itself. I said to her on the way home once that i bet she was looking forward to seeing mum and she shrugged, now all we hear is i miss mummy. 

Winterglow's picture

Go back to the CO and stick to it. SD needs a routine she can count on and all this uncertainty cannot be helping. BM's "interpretation" of SD's feelings should not dictate your DH's visitation 

tog redux's picture

Whatever you do, do NOT give up any of those 3 days.  It does sound like SD is an anxious girl, and either BM is anxious herself and that's affecting SD, or BM is directly alienated and making SD afraid.

Normally I'd suggest professional help, but in a situation like this, you have a strong chance of getting a therapist who will agree with BM that SD "isn't ready" to be there 3 nights, which is absurd.  Unless DH gets to choose the therapist and BM can't fire them, I wouldn't go that route.

Instead, be gentle with SD and give her rewards for eating properly and sleeping on her own - things she likes to do, or a special trip somewhere, or whatever. Avoid punishment or "yelling" at her, this will be used against DH.  Anxious kids respond better to rewards anyway.  But keep those 3 days and don't look to BM for any help.

Edie's picture

Thank you for the advice. We are going to keep to the CO and hopefully if we don’t allow change then SD will get into a routine with it and settle. 

Edie's picture

Today SD came with no signs of any problems at all. No food complaints or missing mum. Over excited to see us and expressing she wants to go on holiday with us for longer than her usual visits. Really odd when last week she was saying she didn’t want to sleep over and two nights was too much. I feel very untrusting of what’s going on if I’m honest. Doesn’t add up. 

Edie's picture

I think i spoke to soon yesterday... Today has been hard going. Bassically if we let her watch what she wants on tv and only feed her cheese sandwiches she is content. If we offer her something different to eat she sulks and cries that she wants mummy. She behaves withdrawn and if i try and offer her things to do, like read a book, colouring, play a game she just takes on the martyr role and declines. I told her today that i feel she is asking for mummy to get out of eating what she doesnt like or to get out of doing things she doesnt want to do. She said point blank she is not. Then turned to my partner and said " do you want to know how much i miss mummy" I stepped in and told her it wasn't nice to try and make someone feel bad and it was naughty. My partner has been brilliant and really firm. He told her to spend some time to think about things upstairs in her room. To which she jumped up and stomped her feet as hard as she could up the stairs. Shes 8! God help me when she hits teenage years. I do worry she is going to dislike me as I will call her out on bad behaviour.