You are here

Quick question- what to say to ss about gift from my brother

Tx mommy of 3's picture

Ok quick back story. My brother and his fam hav always lived far distance away. They used to come for Christmases and summers but haven't in years. My bro met ss when we got married but ss really has never had anything to do with my family. Anyway, so my bro and his fam haven't seen ss in at least 5 years. So of course we have ss this Christmas- 1st time in 3 years. My brother sends a card with 3 gift cards in it- each with my kids names. Nothing for ss. That doesn't bother me. Doesn't bother anyone really. But ss saw he card addressed to "last name kids" and said, "oh, I'm a 'last name kid' too." no one said anything. I put away the card so I can show my kids later. But what do I say if ss asks about it? The truth? He is 13...

caregiver1127's picture

Tell him that he gets gifts from his mom's (BM) side of the family and your kids do not - so your kids are getting a gift from their BM's side of the family you - and if he asks I would tell him that he should be thankful for all that he gets because some people get nothing. Also if he has a problem with it tell him that his step siblings don't bitch when he talks about the presents from BM!!