You are here

Question regarding child with mental disability tax credit/ssi or anything else

Ellismakey12's picture

I'm not sure I'm using the right terms but looking to see if the parent who has custody gets any financial benefits from children with mental distorters. Both Step kids see a psychiatrist and have been diagnosis with multiple mood disorders, ADHD, depression. They both have a IEP in school and see a school therapist. They both are on at least two different mood controlling medications.

Does anyone know if the kids would qualify BM for financial benefits since she has custody and what would they be? Is there a way we could find out?

MrsStepMom's picture

None of these are actual legally defined disabilities so no. I think at best, if the kids were full out diagnosed as instituationalized, needing full time care level of these problems, then yes, but if they are attending school and just seeing therapists and taking some meds they are not to that level.

justmakingthebest's picture

SS19 is disabled but we are still fighting with social security... we get a $500 tax credit since he lives with us and is over 18 but that is it. Once they get benefits for SS those are actually taxable.

Is she trying to get disablilty for them? As a parent you have to make very very low wages to even get disability for a child. 

still learning's picture

Social Security Disability Income SSDI is taxable, SSI is not.  SSI is a welfare program just like food stamps, WIC, TANF, etc.  

My mistake... I work for a living and am not sure on all of these gubment cheese programs! LOL

still learning's picture

No worries, I'm STILL LEARNING about all of this. I have family who have had SSDI and SSI, it is confusing and complicated and I have not completely kept up with the new tax laws so things may have changed.  

All of SS19's disorders are mental- Bi-polar, Autistic, Depression, Anxiety, ADD- however even with all of it documented back to 6 years old and all of his therapists, teachers, school counselors, job coaches, etc agreeing- he still got rejected. 

It is harder to get than people realize. Our big thing is the medical benefit for him. SS will never have a real employer and gainful employer. He will be a dishwasher or stockboy or something of the like forever. While DH and I have no problem supporting him, but medical runs out at 26. 

OP- is BM trying to get disability for Skids?

tog redux's picture

I'm in the child mental health field and we have tons of families who get it just for ADHD.  You do have to have a low enough income to qualify though. 

SteppedOut's picture

Yes, my brother's exwife had both kids marked ADHD (he does not agree and neither do I). She is getting SSI for both - applied literally the day after diagnosis. A diagnosis she went to 3 different doctor offices to obtain. My brother paid for her to get her BS in nursing when they were married, but she doesn't LIKE working and thinks she should have summer "off" so her income is low. 

Between the mountian of CS he pays and SSI she lives quite comfortable working 1 or 2 days a week. 

Ellismakey12's picture

all their "issues" and need for LOTS of therapy. This kids have had social workers,therapists,psychiatrists for years with no let up in sight. For YEARS she has pushed how bad off the kids are and fought for them to be put on multiple drugs. Intill now we just thought she was just nut who LOVED the attention/sympathy that a mentally challenged  kids got her(think like Munchhausen). We called Medicaid and they told us if the child qualified and step kids do based on what we told them BM's income does not count as its based on disability at this point. She could all get a tax credit and SSI. So now we are thinking BM is pushing for all these crazy mental disorders to benefit her financially.

Sounds like it. The BM I deal with figured out how to get disability for herself now she is trying to get it for SS. We have to have constant monitoring on all of his medical and to keep updating doctors with actual proof to try and stop it.

still learning's picture

She may be getting SSI for them if she is within the income levels. She is also eligible to get a tax credit for each of her children that has an IEP.  If they get SSI then they can qualify for food stamps and medicaid as well.   Any parent regardless of custody can be the child's payee for SSI.  If you really want to find out DH can apply for SSI and be the kids payee or go to the Social Security office and inquire about the childrens benefits. He has a right to see all of his childs records and I assume that would include government benefits as well but don't quote me on that.  

Jcksjj's picture

I'm in a Facebook group for parents of kids with ADHD and this topic comes alot. From the responses I've seen yes, it's possible to get it but difficult and most of the kids who have been able to get it have other issues also. A lot of people end up having to hire a lawyer.

Have you looked into the psychiatrist they are going to and asked for their records, treatment plans etc? With how rampant mental health issues are for kids today I'd be really hesitant to fight against them getting treatment unless you have a really good reason. It's not always super obvious and some kids really hide what's going on with them. ADHD and mood disorders are extremely common in kids so I dont really think her claims are necessarily crazy. If there actually is something going on it's way better it's being addressed earlier than later.

Ellismakey12's picture

We were told if a child has a qualified disability then BM would still get all the benifits as its based on the disability not income. So I guess this is wrong? BM makes 80 thousand a year so based on above comments that it sounds like she won't get anything except a tax credit? What is a tax credit?

Jcksjj's picture

Tax credit reduces the amount of income tax you owe. My son has an IEP and I'm not aware of any tax credit for that but maybe there is one in some states. Idk why there would be though since its through the public school and free.

Edit - just looked it up and there is no federal credit but some states may require just an IEP for a state credit for disability. I would doubt it's going to get her a significant amount of money though.

still learning's picture

If BM is making 80k then the kids won't qualify for SSI as minors but they can apply when they turn 18.  She can apply for a tax credit and will likely have to give her tax preparer a copy of the childrens IEP.