You are here

Question re child support in MIchigan

boots415's picture

Just wondering what fellow MI residents pay in child support. We're considering doing a CS review after SD17 turns 18, but we're a little nervous. MY DH makes way more than BM, but we have 50/50 custody. PLUS, she lives w/ her parents and has for 5 yrs, so it's not like she's paying rent. I don't think FOC takes that into consideration tho?????? We also cover the medical insurance, which is about $180/month. All co-pays and anything not covered by ins. is supposed to be split 50/50, but she never pays her bills. We just found out there's an outstanding bill from 2009 when BM took SD13 to urgent care. It's for $55. $55 for Christ's sake. And it's in collections. Anyway, DH pays $400/mo for the 2 kids, but it will go down to $200 in a few months. This amount was what DH and BM worked out between them, so we really have no idea what the court would order him to pay, if anything.

StickAFork's picture

First, a number doesn't get cut in half when one of two kids "ages out" of CS. The first child gets a far greater "cut" of the CS pie. For instance, a $500 order for two kids could become $350 for one.
Second, the BM living with her parents and not paying rent counts for nothing.

boots415's picture

DH pays $200/mo for each child. CS stops when the SK graduate from high school. If they don't graduate, he has to pay until they're 19 1/2 - as long as they are enrolled in school. That makes no sense to me, because the SK could be living on their own at 19, yet CS still goes to BM. Stupid. We live on the west side of the state. I have the child support formula, but it's pretty confusing. We don't know exactly what BM makes, but when they divorced approx. 5 yrs ago, she was making $11.95/hr.

That $55 bill should've been split 50/50 between DH and BM, but he never even knew about it til he took SD13 to the dr a few days ago and they gave him a paper that said there was a collection notice for over $400. I called the # on the paper, and they told me that $55 was for SD13, but the other $372 was for BM's medical visits. Not sure why they lumped it all together under SD13's name, but I'm just glad it's nothing we owe. Back in 2009 when BM got the bill, she should've notified DH that he owed 1/2. She did not do that. She just chose to ignore all the notices that I'mm assuming were sent to her. I told the lady on the phone to send us the bill. We'll pay it and then submit paperwork to FOC for reimbursement.

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

That is odd, I have never heard of a CS order being a certain amount per child. Usually is it like 17% of gross income for one child and 20% for two kids...or some kind of state derived formula.

Rags's picture

Google "Michigan Child Support Calculator" plug in the numbers and see where the CS chips fall. If you do not know BMs income take a look at the historical divorce/custody records and do a SWAG on where her income would likely be now. Plug it all in to the calculator.

The online CS calculators are great tools to get an idea of a ballpark where things are likely to fall if you go for a CS mod.

Good luck.