You are here

Question about remote learning vs in school learning

CalliMay09's picture

SS13 has "decided" he wants to go full remote leaning rather than than go into school three days a week as he has been. SS13 school allows this due to Covid.

So my question is what is your take on remote learning vs at school learning? Pros and cons? 

tog redux's picture

There are not really any pros about remote learning as far as a kid's education goes. Many kids are doing very poorly learning remotely, and are missing out on the important social aspect of school.. 

lieutenant_dad's picture

I guess it would depend on the why. Did his grades improve with at-home learning? If so, then there are other ways to get him to socialize with others. Is he afraid of contracting COVID? If so, it might be worthwhile to keep him home for thw rest of the year BUT consult a therapist to help him deal with the anxiety around COVID. If he is subjected to bullying, that's a toss up between letting him stay home or go to in-person. A serious chat with the school would be needed. If he finds hybrid to be difficult and wants to just have school one way (can't blame him if this is the case), keep him home but make sure his parent is having check-ins daily on grades, progress, etc.

If, however, he sees virtual learning as a way to slack off, then he needs to go to in-person. If his grades have slipped because he is slacking off, then keep sending him.

Ultimately, if you all decide to let him do sole virtual learning, there will be more work on your parts to fill in the gaps or address his needs. He needs to be aware, too, that he will still have a schedule and will have the same expectations on him as if he were going to physical school. He still wakes up at X time, showers, changes clothes, has a healthy lunch at lunch time, attends class as he is required, etc. 

CalliMay09's picture

When asked WHY he wants to do it SS13 states he gets to sleep in as no need to catch the bus. SS13 is a basically lazy kid always looking for the easy way out. I'm sure the fact he does not have to do PE and can slack off during the day without being watched by a teacher is part of it too. BM and DH are both home with SS13 when he is going remote BUT not standing over him 24/7 as they both are working from home too. I believe this is most of the reason as SS13 likes to sleep in. BM can't handle him and lazy so basically just letting SS13 do this to keep the peace. DH does NOT want to be the bad parent and force SS13 as DH knows how ballistic SS13 can get and does not want to deal with it. 

lieutenant_dad's picture

Well, if neither parent is going to parent him, then it doesn't really matter if he goes virtual or in-person. Just make it clear to your DH that you will not live with a lazy adult SS when he's 18, so he better figure out now how to make sure his son is motivated to fly the nest, otherwise you will.

Survivingstephell's picture

Virtual school needs to be monitored and held to a schedule that the school sets, not SS.  Is the virtual programming set up to support that?  Not all schools are great at this in my area.  Does he have other ways to stay social with his friends?  If his bio parent  in the house refuses to stay on top of him then save yourself the drama and send him.  
Ive been doing virtual with my BD 11 since last March.  She's had a couple of hiccups but for the most part she is maintaining.  She has a few friends online and has organized zoom meetings for herself.  But I'm watching from afar and email with her teacher (and her teacher knows I'm on her so she gets backed up).  I'm in the high risk category so I'm motivated to make this work.  

A motivated home environment to make it work is key.  IMO. 

Dogmom1321's picture

I'm a teacher. 

Remote only works when a kid is self-motivated, responsible, and independent. They need to be able to follow a schedule and self-manage. Most kids aren't like this, which is why so many are "failing" during remote. 

If SSs motivations are becuase of sleeping in, getting to call the shots, etc. it's not a good environment for him, and he needs to do regular school. Your DH isn't doing him any favors by following along with his requests. Also, what in the world makes SS13 feel he has the final say to these decisions anyway? Sounds like he has already had a lot of enabling and entitlement. DH needs to break that. 

Rags's picture

IMHO the question is not the efficacy of online Vs in classroom learning. But rather what business does a 13yo have making that choice.  Put his ass on the school bus.  Kids need other kids, they need social development along with academic development.

This is not his choice.  Make that perfectly clear to him and to your partner.

Now for your question.   My undergrad was earned in Brick and Mortar universities. My MBA I did completely on line.  I actually found the online format to be a far superior and far deeper learning experience.   Rather than a professor lecturing and demonstrating on a chalk board or white board with supporting readings and home work, online drive a far deeper dive into the concepts and focused heavily on application of the concepts rather than memorization of the concepts. However, that is also a primary difference between undergraduate work and graduate work.  Undergrad is about mastery of concepts while graduate work is about application of concepts.

If I get the job I have been interviewing for, with a university, I will start a PhD. program as soon as I can.  It will be a hybrid model of the Brick-&-Mortar and online configurations.

For the education of children, parental involvement is critical.  IMHO it will take an exponentially greater parental time investment if you go with the fully online model.

Wicked stepmo.'s picture

Since your SS is lazy it will probably be a disaster. But if his parents think this a great idea let them find out the hard way. Both my SDs have been flunking the entire school year because they are lazy and use it to only be lazier. 

I just make sure SO is fully aware that if either of them flunk out or drop out they cannot live here.I will not have school drop outs under my roof