You are here

Question about Custody/family court and age it ends in New York

Marialynn76's picture

Calling all New Yorkers and others. DH has two children a 17 yr old and a 13 yr old. Long story short. After almost landing DH in jail, me in court and thousands of $$$ later to prove these false Accusations that older SD said older SD does not come over anymore(THANK GOD!) Its been three years since that crazy bitch was over. Of course the family court system thinks DH is a Absolute monster for turning his back on his poor defenseless child(insert gag) and throws that in DH face whenever they get a chance. 

Younger SD13 wants to come live with us as she knows what a crazy ass BM is. We DH and I were Purposely waiting for Older SD17 to turn 18(July)so she would be no longer an interest to family court and The law guardian to try and get custody of younger SD13.

But here is our problem. Older SD17 has failed Her senior year and needs to repeat it next year. Which means she will still be in high school next year. Here is my question. In my state child support goes to 21 BUT when a child turns 18 “family court” stops Getting involved and the Law guardian no longer represent them. So does anyone knows if the kid is still in high school does this change anything? 

tog redux's picture

Nothing changes. At 18, even if she hasn't graduated, she is of legal age and the custody order no longer applies. And support will continue until 21.