You are here

Pressure to move in with boyfriend....again

bananashake's picture

Hey all....

This is a bit desperate because I don’t want to lose the relationship.

So many of you know my situation....I have a BF with two kids and we have been together 2.5 years...he has SD5 and SS4 (good kids....most of the time). We live separately and are very content doing so (or so I thought). He has verbally expressed that he wasn’t in a hurry to move in. And he is very well aware of the fact that I like living alone and won’t live with any man ever again.

His mom assumes responsibility for getting the kids up and out of bed every morning, getting them dressed and fed and taking them to school. Reason for this is that his hours are 7am to 3pm, and school doesn’t start till around 8am. He assumes the rest of the responsibilities of rearing his kids...getting them from school, bathing them, feeding them, putting them to bed. The skids mother is a trainwreck and rarely, if ever comes around. So he does bear the brunt of rearing them 100% of the time.

As for me....I drop by during the week and spend most of my weekends with him and the kids. We have great fun, taking them out, entertaining them, cooking together, etc.
His mom recently retired and is planning on moving down south to spend her winters with her new boyfriend, and leaving the house to boyfriend. So now BF is telling me he cannot handle all the responsibilities of his kids alone and needs me to help take them to school. Admittedly I have gone over there several times to get them up and dressed and ready for school when he needed the help (his mom being sick or away or something). To be honest, no big deal....but I know it isn’t something I can handle 24/7. Maybe a couple times a week.

In short, due to his mother leaving he really wants me to move in with him and soon. I am staunchly against this, because I know that not only will I be rearing them more than I really want to....but that I will be cleaning up a lot after him and his kids. I see how they live. They aren’t pigs at all but they aren’t stickler about cleaning like I am. Even while I am there, we eat dinner together and I clean up the dishes and kitchen (no problem!!!) and I notice that happily he goes about his activities while I am cleaning with no thanks. Not that I mind cause I do want to help....but I foresee this being an expected role of me if I move in and I’ll get resentful.

First things first....is it possible for a single parent to raise two kids without help??

I also sense that he cannot *quite* afford an apartment and the bills for him and his kids, and that is especially where I am feeling especially guilty. Remember he is doing this without the help of bio-mom who is completely out the picture. He is supposed to receive subsidies since he is paying for daycare out the pocket. Even with subsidized daycare, he is telling me that he is unable to handle the sole responsibility of raising his kids.

His sister-in-law told me it is time that I stopped flitting about in the relationship and either pony up and move in with him or move on from him, because there are two kids involved and need help. That if I'm to be involved in their lives...that I need to be involved 100%. I get the sense that his family is 'waiting' for us to move in together.

I’m pissed off to be frank, cause him and I HAD an agreement and we WERE fine with living apart. He LIKES his space and so do I. I don’t see a living arrangement working out unless the house is big and spacious (i.e. my own getaway room or something) and there is a regular nanny to help with the kids.

Any advice?? Any way he can still rear his kids without my help?? Of course I will be there and spend time with them and help every so often....but I don’t want to live there! And I don’t feel that all relationships have to be living together. He makes it sound as though it’s impossible for him to handle....and I feel incredibly guilty. I am his girlfriend and my role was outlined clearly....now I feel I'm being pressured into more than I want.

not.the.crazy.one's picture

Honestly, I would be upset that he was fine living apart until he needed something. I've been a single mom without help for years, and I always managed somehow. I wouldn't move in with him unless that's what both of you wanted for the right reasons (i.e. you love each other and want to spend your time together), not because he needs someone to play mommy to his kids.

Also, if you aren't ready to fill the role he wants you to fill, it wouldn't be fair to either of you to move in together. He will dump more and more responsibilities on you that you don't want, and you will start to feel resentful.

If he can't understand that, maybe you should move on. BOTH people in a relationship need to be happy. That includes you!

amber3902's picture

"Honestly, I would be upset that he was fine living apart until he needed something"

Good point!! NOW his mom is moving away, he wants you to move in with him? That is NOT a reason for moving in together.

That is so selfish! 'I need someone to help me with my kids.'

Not, I want to take this relationship to the next level, I want to share a life with you, wants to spend more time with you,

it's - I need help with my kids. Sad

RedWingsFan's picture

^^^^THIS!!!!!!! Seems to me like he's just fine until someone isn't there to DO HIS PARENTING JOB for him (i.e. mother) so now he wants YOU to step in and do it.

I'd ask him this: What would you do if you weren't in a relationship with me (or anyone else)? Who would get your kids off to school then?

Oh that's right, he'd have to hire a babysitter, or change his work schedule or move with mommy so she could continue taking care of HIS kids.

Crazy. You'd be absolutely insane to move in with this guy. I'm serious. He'd be using you...

Lalena75's picture

You had an agreement and understanding, your feelings haven't changed and it's none of anyone elses business so his SIL can butt out.
He doesn't want you to move in as the next phase of the relationship you wants you to be nanny and help pay bills.
Yes it is possible to raise 2 kids alone I did it for 3 years, it's called babysitters, and before and after school care most programs also have ways to assist with cost if you qualify.
So knowing this. Knowing WHY he wants you to move in and having a good idea of the role you will be shoved into even though you don't want it and it was an understood and agreed upon condition, how do you feel about this relationship.
Moving in with someone, getting married or heck doing anything out of guilt builds resentment really fast, resentment grows, anger and then where are you stuck wanting to leave and back to the guilt you'll feel "abandoning" him, he chose to have kids, he chose to raise them and it's his responsibility to continue to do so on his own.

amber3902's picture

"is it possible for a single parent to raise two kids without help??"

Um, yes, people do it ALL the time. I have two daughters, ages 14 and 7 that I have six days a week. Granted, the 14 year old takes care of herself pretty much now, but that wasn't always the case. I also work full time.

I agree with you that a relationship does not mean that you have to live together. He should not want to dump his responsibilities on you. He decided to have kids, not you. The relationship has been working wonderfully so far, you know moving in together is only going to make you miserable.

Him and his family should not be making you feel guilty. If someone has to be guilted into doing something, they probably should not be doing it anyway.

You know you won't be happy. Why set yourself up for failure?

Tell your BF you are happy with the way things are. If he isn't, then he either needs to accept that and not guilt you, or go find someone that is willing to be a mommy to his kids.

DON'T MOVE IN!!

Aeron's picture

Advice? DON'T DO IT! You will feel So resentful. It sucks for him that he seems to feel he needs help. It sucks for him that he apparently can't afford to do this on his own. That is NOT your problem. You did not birth these children.

Picture yourself a year from now living with him. Picture the amount of income you will have had to contribute so that your SO can survive. How much time and effort have you spent cooking, cleaning and caring? Will they be appreciative of these things or will they all take it as their due?

You need to talk to this man and tell him that he's asking to change the rules of your relationship and you can't abide by the new rules he wants to lay out. And I know you don't want to lose the relationship, but it is entirely possible that it's a lay down and be the perfect doormat he and his family want you to be or tell him no, his needs and expectations of you doesn't work for you and let him walk.

He CAN do this by himself. There are ways. There are single parents that figure this crap out all the time. He just doesn't want to. Doesn't want to be inconvenienced. Or he's afraid. Either way, stop feeling guilty. You didn't give him children and then run off. You've been very clear about your position from the beginning.

Remember that your needs are just as important. If you cave and move in you will end up miserable and will likely stop wanting to be with this man in time. You are Not responsible for his problems. You do Not have to provide him with a solution, girlfriend or not.

Starla's picture

Hello,

Please do not move in and sell yourself short. I think he is feeling desperate and that is not your doing or your problem. If your happy living alone then why change that? It would not be in your best interest. He needs to put the heat on the BM or find another way and not pull you down. It already does not sound like he has your best interest in mind.

Understand that he has his hands full and all but he made them choices and it will wear you so thin trying to pick up the slack. Please listen to us and know that we will give you our honest opinions and that most of us has been there and done it already.

Keep in mind that his baggage is not your responsibility.

Krispey Kreme's picture

He never learned how to manage as an adult. Mommy rode to the rescue and handled his adult business for him and now Mommy wants to bail out. So he needs another woman to step in and take over for Mommy. If you moved in, you could provide childcare, income, coochie, cooking, cleaning, taxi service, all for free. Good deal for him. Bad deal for you.

People raise their children by themselves all the time. If you don't want to start feeling taken advantage of and resentful, don't move in with him. If you think it would be okay to move in with him and provide all this free stuff for him, then move in.

If he wants to punish you for not picking up his slack by breaking up with you, let him go. And tell his family to STFU (in the nicest possible way, of course).

goincrazy.com's picture

I really hope you follow the advice of everyone on here and DO NOT MOVE IN.

You have a taste of what it would be like and you know the expections he would have of you. Tell his sister to mind her own fucking business, who cares what his family thinks you should do. His mom isn't so worried bc she's leaving to do what she wants to do-rightfully so. He needs to hire a babysitter. You will become resentful and hate your life and daydream of your own quiet apartment that you let go.

If you feel guilty then maybe offer 1x a week to comeover and help? Do not lose your independance over this, you will regret it for the rest of your life

bananashake's picture

OK so you guys are saying that it is absolutely possible for a single parent to raise two kids ALONE even though bio-mom isn't around, period. You are telling me that this can be done with a 4 and 5 year old....feeding, bathing, educating, everything can be done by one person.

Because I'm getting the impression from the rest of his family and friends that raising two kids on one income, as one parent is impossible.

Now like I said I will help as much as possible but I'm not taking on a 24/7 parenting role, and I am not moving in.

I just have all this GUILT...and that being his girlfriend, and an adult role model to his kids (more of a fun auntie than an actual stepmom) because of that I 'should' be helping them. That's the impression I got from his sister in law. Her position is that because I "claim" to love him and the kids, and I have the chance to move in and be with them, and I am not taking that chance.

Daycare doesn't start till 7.30am and closes at 6pm. But his work starts at 7am and ends at 3pm....he should be able to talk to his employer about his working hours. He's a carpenter.

hereiam's picture

Single parents raise children all time. If his family is so concerned, maybe they should help him. Otherwise, they need to stay out of your business.

Shaman29's picture

Has he attempted to speak to his employer about changing his hours to 8-4? That way he can get his kids to daycare and pick them up in the afternoons?

His family is only putting pressure on you, because they know if you say no, then they will be on the hook to help him.

Your BF needs to grow up and understand raising his kids is HIS responsibility. It's not your responsibility. You helping him out is one thing, your choice. Moving in with him, especially since they are so young, will create a breeding ground for resentment towards him and his kids. And more than likely his family.

My advice is to keep your own place. You obviously know yourself well enough to understand where this situation will leave you if you are guilted into moving in with him.

Krispey Kreme's picture

He should find a daycare that opens earlier and has more flexible hours. They are out there. I've worked full time since my twins were 4 months old with little input from my DH because he had a job where he was gone for 24 hours every other day and his hours didn't jive with picking up/dropping off kids. It was really convenient for my DH to be unavailable and I bore the brunt of the childcare arrangements by myself (lazy DH!). My DH was almost no help during those years. And I had nobody else to help me. So I sucked it up and handled my responsibilities (and my DH's too). It was hard, I ain't gonna lie, but I did it.

He could figure this out if he had to, it would just be a whole lot easier on him if he could get you to handle it for him.

Peaches1973's picture

Absolutely it can be done! Is it easy? Hell no,but its not impossible.
I did it for 10 years.
Single parents have to make the right choices though and take jobs that work around the schedule they need as they are doing it alone.
Well most of us anyway.Your BF got lucky,like my BF,and had family members that could pick up the slack.Good for him.
But you certainly should not be expected to pick up the slack on this,totally unfair for him to even make such a proposition.
He needs to put his big girl panties on and realize that his live-in-nanny days are over,and adjust his life accordingly.
He either loves you as his GF,partner,and companion or he's interveiwing you for the live-in nanny,cook,houskeeper position.Hell no.

hereiam's picture

Of course, he wants you to feel guilty. Don't.

He wants you to be what most step mothers hate being, a replacement mother. Lucky for you, he told you straight up what his reason is for wanting you to move in.

He could have asked you to marry him and let you think he wanted you to move in because he loves you and wants to spend his life with you.

His sister-in-law told me it is time that I stopped flitting about in the relationship and either pony up and move in with him or move on from him

But it's ok for him to ask you to move in instead of ponying up and asking you to marry him or God forbid, do his own parenting duties. Whatever.

You mentioned him not being able to afford an apartment, does he live with his mother now?

Really, the whole situation just reeks of him wanting you for all the wrong reasons.
Even his family is waiting for you to step up so they don't have to. No, thanks.

amber3902's picture

"OK so you guys are saying that it is absolutely possible for a single parent to raise two kids ALONE even though bio-mom isn't around, period."

Think of it this way, what if BM passed away?

I raised my two kids on one income for eight months. That was because I wasn't getting CS. Now I get a whopping $300 a month in CS. If his family and friends all think that raising two kids on one income is impossible, they can make contributions.

And isn't the mom leaving her house to your BF? So doesn't that mean he won't have rent to pay, just utilities and upkeep?

goincrazy.com's picture

Also, not sure if you live in a small town or something but most daycares open by 6 or 630, he needs to look into other daycare options

TASHA1983's picture

"If it ain't broke...DON'T fix it!" If your relationship is working for you the way it is then DO NOT MOVE IN! You would be INTENTIONALLY setting yourself up for misery, bitterness, resentment, and more! Like others have said...he has told you that he's pretty much just looking for a babysitter & help with his bills.

Please don't do what you KNOW in your gut is NOT WHAT YOU WANT & WILL NOT MAKE YOU HAPPY!!!

Over_that_tude's picture

Seriously, there are single parents that do what he believes is impossible all day long, year after year! It can be done.

Yes, he can get care for his kids...yes, he can manage if he needs to,including changing his work schedule, days, finding another job, whatever. People do it all the time, are you serious? Yes, Mommy saved his butt by helping out and that's nice. Yes, Mommy needs to move on to live her life, I take it she's going after her happiness. SIL needs to shut it or take on some of the helping out...I notice she isn't offering picking up and dropping off...how convenient. The nerve that she wants to suggest you change your life around to accommodate her brother, A-friggin-mazing! I guess that's part of the reason why he thinks you should do it with no problem. He's probably gotten this bright idea from them when Mommy said she was moving on...his question was probably, "Well, what will I do with Billy and Jane if you move?" and in comes Sissy with her bright idea to talk to you and pressure you into taking on his responsibilities. Not saying that's exactly how it happened but it just seems all to convenient that they want YOU to pick up the slack for him because he cannot afford to do it alone.

It kind of sounds like a double standard because I have heard women telling friends to stick with men who simply to have "help" with their kids.

Sorry, I digress...do not feel guilty...it is not for you to rearrange your life to make his easier and yours harder. He isn't trying to move the relationship along, he just needs a live in nanny. Let him go find one.

Starla's picture

Not to mention.. if you do any of this out of guilt, what else will you do out of guilt?

The guy is expecting too much from you. How is that going to help you in any way shape or form?

The family sounds crazy and out of line. It only gets worse once your committed.

I'm also the fun Aunt of many children but acting as a step parent has wiped the smiles off my face since marrying a man who already had children. I entered trying to save them - never again!!!

Please do you a favor, read many posts and learn the easy way before you make the biggest possible mistake of you life. Being a step parent just sucks and you will always get the short end of the stick no matter how hard you try. Then you end up learning how to disengage and you will feel empty.

Never thought them words could come out of my mouth but down the road, his kids will teach you that.

amber3902's picture

"I'm getting the impression from the rest of his family and friends that raising two kids on one income, as one parent is impossible."

Hasn't BF been living on his own all this time?

And isn't his mom going to leave him her home? So won't his living expenses actually go down?

bananashake's picture

His friends and family make it sound impossible to raise two kids alone....and that one DOES need help. And to be frank, and I'm just viewing this from the surface, raising kids is demanding and hard from what I have seen. There is not much alone time and is a 24/7 job.

I guess when he had the kids he didn't expect that he would end up bearing the sole burden.

There have been comments here and there from his family and friends about how 'easy' I have it not living with him and his kids and being more of an accessory to their rearing as opposed to a mom role. I think all this time they had been expecting me to move in with him, and if I don't then I am wasting everyone's time and the poor kids are going to suffer. It's all about the kids.

As I type this....he is back to being distant from me and my texts. Great, I thought we had a fun relationship and he was fine not living together...now he is being an ass. Thank god I kept my own apartment.

Krispey Kreme's picture

So his family resents the fact that you have been a responsible adult and handled your own business instead of bringing children into the world, then expecting everyone else to raise them for you. They want you to suffer along with them. They probably had your life all planned out with regards to you doing the heavy lifting so BF doesn't have to.

And if you go away, they'll be on the lookout for someone else to raise his kids for him, because they sure don't want to do it themselves.

This doesn't pass the smell test. Don't let yourself be manipulated. If you agree to move in, at least you will know what you're getting yourself into. It sounds like he hasn't proposed marriage, just live-in childcare.

Nobody likes to be used and it looks like they are trying to use you. I guess you have to decide if you really want to be the primary caretaker for someone else's kids.

bananashake's picture

I don't want to lose the relationship but I'm tired of feeling like the selfish b*tch because I don't want to move in. I really think it's expected of me from his peers and family, as it's expected of me to rear the kids. I feel that I'm the one in the wrong and making it harder, and this 'poor man' is struggling to raise his kids on his own....and that if I don't want to move in then I need to leave.

I want it to work so that both parties are satisfied.

Over_that_tude's picture

Bananashake...please do not take on the "poor man" stance. You will do yourself a great disservice and then become martyr. Everyone here, for the most part, has told you...people raise children alone all the time. This is not a new phenomenon.

What is wrong with you not wanting this life for yourself? How is that wrong? Will YOU be satisfied while they determine your fate?

Are you satisfied with the way things are while you are not living together? If yes, then there is a reason. If you move in your dissatisfaction will intensify. Is that what you want for yourself? It won't get easier for anyone but them? Why put yourself through that?

Do you believe for some reason that he is the last man alive? You have no children, why not be with someone that has none as well?

I see you are determined to make sense of the nonsensical. I doubt there is much anyone here will say to you that will satisfy you. You are reiterating the point that he needs help and you want to give it to him and sacrifice your happiness and comfort for his.

Purplemom's picture

There is no way to make both parties satisfied. And since when did it become your responsibility to throw your life away for some one else's convenience? Save your own life. Leave. The fact that you feel so awful about this because of their pressure tells you that you sneed to get out!

New second wife-step-mom's picture

Yes, it is possible for one parent to raise children alone. I have a good friend that raised 4 children by herself for 15 years without help. As the children get older it will get easier.

Financially, it is hard if there is no child support unless the parent has really good income. But you can cut corners, don't eat out, and file for food stamps, daycare supplement and other state aid programs.

Most employers are pretty sympathetic to single parents in regards to work schedule and days off for sick kids.

I suggest that you let him know that your mind has not changed you will not be moving in. You can offer to help him find daycare or a stay at home mom that might help out with daycare. You also might look into state programs that might be available. There is plenty of other ways to help out besides MOVING IN.

BTW, when my DH and I got married he was a single parent so he cooked, cleaned, did the dishes, laundry, vacuumed, mopped, did all of the yard work etc. The first year we got married he stopped cooking and doing the dishes. The second year he stopped vacuuming, mopping and almost stopped doing the laundry. The third year he completely stopped doing the laundry. Now he mows the grass and looks at the inside work as being my responsibility. Does he say this? No, he doesn't but he sure shows it.

We had a discussion about this very subject this weekend. Will it change things maybe? I hope so.

I agree with the others. Sounds like he needs a nanny or a housekeeper instead of a live-in GF!

hismineandours's picture

This is just disgusting. Of course millions of single parents out there that do it every day. It's life. I know you have to know that. What do you think they do? If daycare doesnt open until after he goes to work-he has two options-1)find a new job 2)find a new daycare provider. It's not rocket science. It sounds as if the family, including him, just neatly thought you would move in and there would be no need for him to make any changes. You moving in would be the easiest option for your man. The family does not want to help-that's why they are guilting you into moving in.

Kudos to his mom for moving off and having her own life and not raising his kids anymore.

Over_that_tude's picture

Yes, thank heavens you kept your wits about you and kept your apt, on some level you know it is best for you (and it appears he was okay with it too, at first).

His family is feeding you a truck load of BS...single parents take care of their kids alone allllllll the time. Sometimes it is not their choice, but they do it.

Yes, I guess it would appear easy to the family that you do not jump to share in his responsibilities, just like it is easy for them to do the same. It is your right to choose to do something other than what someone else wants you to do.

Yes, they may have seen you as a way out for him but that is not their place unless they are kicking in time and money. Even if they were, you didn't have those babies, he did with his BM and you are not married to this dude, so there is no shared obligation, i.e. you haven't chosen to cohabitate with him because it is best for ALL in the home.

Keep in mind...you had an agreement while he had the help, now that it is moving away...all bets are off!

Do you want to continue to clean up after them while he does nothing? If so, go for it, otherwise if not, then don't. It will continue and you will end up bitter and resentful but you will have only yourself to blame because you had a choice and options and you allowed him to take them away or better yet you gave them away out of desperation. Never ever ever a good idea. I can imagine you will be upset with yourself more than anyone because you will remember what life was like before taking this on.

...and for no appreciation too...UGH...sooooo not a good idea! Good luck with whichever way you decide to go.

Let him remain distant, he is punishing you for having the audacity to express your feelings and also to balk at the idea of taking on his responsibilites. You will have the relationship HE wants, but what about what you want?

It is obvious you do not want this with him, otherwise you probably would not have come here for validation. Stick to your guns and go with your intuition. Do not be desperate, he will smell it and zero in on it and take advantage of it.

You know this is not right for you, at least from what I am reading anyway.

hereiam's picture

I guess when he had the kids he didn't expect that he would end up bearing the sole burden

This does not make it your responsibility.

more of an accessory to their rearing as opposed to a mom role

Yeah, and? You are not their mom. You are not, technically, even their step mom.

It's all about the kids

No, it's all about making it easier for HIM and his family. They want you to do what they are not willing to do. I help my sister with my niece. I have never wanted children but I do it because I love my sister, I love my niece, and I would rather she be with me than ANY guy that my sister dates.

I feel that I'm the one in the wrong

You are not in the wrong. You are not in the wrong. You are not in the wrong.

I want it to work so that both parties are satisfied

It is becoming apparent that this is not going to happen. Your boyfriend is already getting an attitude because you don't want to parent his children for him.

Personally, I would not want to be a part of this whole family.

oldone's picture

OMG

Back off and look at this as if it was someone else in this situation.

Why in the hell would anyone set themselves up to be used financially and otherwise?

There is NOTHING in this for you.

Many women move in and find out that the man just wants a nanny/housekeeper. This man is being totally upfront about it.

You have NO REASON at all to feel guilty. These are NOT your children.

If a friend came to you and asked you to help them pay their rent and babysit their kids would you do it? Of course not.

Do not fall for this. If he cares for you he will not want to use you like this. If he doesn't care for you enough to respect your happiness he is not the man for you.

Aeron's picture

My MIL was a single parent to 4 kids from 1 y/o to 10 y/o when her husband died. She has never remarried. She never really even dated. She did Not have family around to help her out. She managed - By Herself. With kids younger than your boyfriend has. Was it hard? Absolutely. Can it be done? Absolutely.

Your BF's family knows him well enough that if they can't con or force you into doing it he's going to be crying to them for help All The Time and they don't want to do it either. That's why they're trying to guilt you into it, so they can pawn the responsibility off on You. They're full of crap. It will not be fun. It will not be easy. It will require sacrifice, hard work and patience. It will require him to do without some things. It will require the kids to do without some things. But no one will die if they have to forgo an extra movie a month. If the kids can't have cell phones when they turn 10.

He may not have planned on having to pick this burden up by himself but that's just too darn bad. He procreated with a loser and this is the consequence. You have it easy because you did not make poor life choices. He did. It's his burden to carry, not yours. You are not selfish or bad for not wanting to take on these responsibilities that belong to someone else.

And honestly, I think you should examine why you're so 'desperate' to hold onto a relationship where he's made it pretty clear that what he wants from you is to pick up his responsibilities and take care of him and his. You had no input in the birth of these children and you are not this man's mother. It is not on you to bail him out just because his life has gotten hard. He's an adult. He needs to figure it out. He made his decisions. He's not a victim or a martyr here. He's irresponsible. He's immature. He's trying to use you. He's trying to take advantage of you. He wants your money, your time, your help without giving you anything but a crap load of work in return. What are you getting out of this that you're so desperate to hold on to?

It's funny how it's only now 'all about the kids' when his mother wants her own life. Who gives a rat What his friends or family Expect of you. They can expect you to lasso the moon and present them with a silver unicorn on a gold platter, doesn't mean you need to make yourself crazy trying to meet their unrealistic expectations. His mess. His problem. Let HIM solve it. And tell these other people to butt out.

Shaman29's picture

Another thing to keep in mind is the train-wreck BM that comes and goes.

Moving in with your BF could trigger her presence more often in the skids lives.

Which would be another point of resentment, as I would assume she'd be another burden for you to shoulder.

Starla's picture

I think his sister-in-law knows what she is doing. She herself does not want to pick up the slack now that his mother is moving away. It sounds that he is dependent on others and he wants the help more then a partner. He is facing being a single parent and that is his concern right now.

bananashake's picture

LOL your post made me laugh!! And your consistent reference to his sister-in-law as PONY UP GIRL is hilarious. LOL

Orange County Ca's picture

Don't even think about moving in and stop listening to those selfish people who only want your money and time.

He will find a way after all he has so far and there is NEVER enough money. This is an abyss that you throw money into never to get any return.

Don't even think about it.

simifan's picture

I cannot even fathom how selfish this is. Please do not even consider this. What a horrible way to begin an adult relationship. It is certainly not about you or how he feels for you at all.

These are NOT your children. They are not YOUR responsibility. Do not negotiate with terrorists. EVEN IF you lived with him this is not your problem. Tell him you'd be more then happy to help him find a good before care program.

bananashake's picture

Hey Guys...

Didn't want to bump this thread but him and I had a discussion and agreed that my moving in would not be beneficial to me, him, or the kids. All of us would end up hating each other.

He admitted he was a bit desperate in his proposal since his mom is leaving, because he pays the full price of daycare now ($1500 a month...govt assistance is still pending and yet to arrive for him) and he's already struggling as a single father. But now is actually seeing the benefits of living on his own with the kids. Hell...no nagging from me, no conflict between me and his kids, and he gets his privacy and space....something he doesn't get living with his mom. I also have an inkling his family or friends planted the idea in his head, because his proposal was a total about-face from where we were...perfectly happy living apart.

That said, I am continue my role as an 'adult role model' in his kids lives and keeping my own place. HE can do the research on finding babysitters, etc.

Thanks all. I really was under this impression that because I am the girlfriend and have been around for 2.5 years that I'm "supposed" to help and take on the extras of rearing his kids, especially since he is struggling. At least that's how it felt to me from other people's comments.

But like Orange County CA said....HE will find a way since he always has...thank god for that bit of advice.

So I'm not sure where this ensuing resentment is coming from. People keep asking when are we "moving forward in the relationship" and that we "need to get a place together." People are saying we've been together awhile, when is it going to move forward. Apparently I am not a good influence on his kids being a mere 'girlfriend' and not a 'wife.' And neither of us want to get married anyways (I don't want a ball and chain to anyone through the institution of marriage....and I'm of the opinion that weddings are a wallet-sucking waste of $$$ and rather spend my cash on luxury vacations)...I'm soon to start speaking up and telling people off.

Like WTF....ugh this is one outspoken family I chose to hang with.

amber3902's picture

Glad you guys were able to talk this through and come to a resolution.

I'm sure his family/friends planted the idea in his head, since THEY are the ones that keep pestering you and him about "moving forward in the relationship".

May I make a suggestion? It sounds like both you and him are happy with the way things are, yes, BF has to struggle a bit with daycare, etc., but for the most part things are going well. It seems like the only people that have a problem with your set up are BF's family and friends.

Both you and BF need to set some boundaries with these pushy, nosy people. You and BF sit down with the family and explain to them that both of you are very happy not living together and they need to respect your relationship and privacy.

After this little talk, I bet that the subject is still going to be brought up, so when it is - you and BF become a broken record - "Both BF/GF and I are very happy with the way things are and don't want anything to change." or something similar, you and BF agree on what the line will be and parrot it whenever the topic is mentioned.

And when they say - "But don't you think you aren't setting a good example for the children?" Say "Nope." and change the subject.

The broken record technique has worked for me with people who can't get things through their thick heads, namely my exH. Smile

And for those that still don't get it, well, you and BF need to distance yourself from those folks.