You are here

Possible concussion

Mky0005's picture

Hi all. So my 14-year-old stepdaughter just came back from her birth mothers house. She's normally with us but we let her go to her moms during the summer when there's less structure. She came back saying that her mom's friend took them camping and that they used a tarp, water, and dish soap to make a slip and slide.  Apparently my stepdaughter slipped, hit her head, cried, did not remember any of this, and asked the same for questions over and over for an hour. No one told us about this except for our step daughter when she returned home. Her mother was not even there. My step daughter was with her mom's friend. I am highly concerned she could have had a concussion but now it is eight days later. Besides seeking medical attention, how would you handle this? It's always something every time she goes to her moms she comes back with some kind of injury or crazy story.

tog redux's picture

Take her to urgent care or her PCP, and have her tell the doctor the story. If they feel it's CPS reportable that no one sought medical attention, they will call.

At 14, it's hard to make the case that BM is responsible for her injuries (she decided to use the slip and slide herself), but she certainly should be seeking medical care if needed.

Mky0005's picture

Yes i am seeking medical care. I just feel like we should do something else. I'm so mad. SD says her phone was dead (they were camping no charger ) so she couldn't call us. The poor judgment of these adults Is astounding. 

Mky0005's picture

I'm just like DID NO ONE THINK YOU NEEDED MEDICAL CARE? Asking the same question over and over for an hour. Not remembering anything. 

Exjuliemccoy's picture

In addition to getting a medical exam for your SD, your H should send BM an email outlining what happened. He should point out how dangerous these "slip n slides" are, how irresponsible it was for an adult to allow SD to do that, and state that he expects to be notified immediately should his daughter be injured on BM's time.

Rags's picture

Get her checked out by a medical professional.  Better safe than sorry.

A classmate of mine from engineering school fell and hit his head. He then stayed on the lake all day wake boarding, skiing, etc.....  All day in the sun drinking beer. That night he went to bed and never woke up. The next AM he did not make it to class, his roommate checked on him, called 911 and our classmate was in a coma for a few days and then died.