You are here

*Poll* Valentine’s Day

kathycrosbyvt's picture

A earlier post got me thinking....

Does your SO/DH/DW get their kids Valentine’s Day anything? Cards,candy, gift?? 

My DH ALWAYS does and I just think it’s odd and just another way to make SS even more Entitled and spoiled. Maybe and it’s a BIG maybe the kids are say under 5 get them a stuff animal or something BUT once they hit middle school and get close to dating age themself I just think it’s weird. 

To add salt to the wound my DH also pretty much gets the same box of chocolates for me as for SS. Partly like the other poster said SS would flip out if I got more or something better. But also DH is just lazy and does not care.  To him Valentine’s Day is a “Hallmark holiday” as he calls it and it’s not Important to him. He would rather be out fishing or golfing. 

tog redux's picture

My mother always gave us a small box of chocolates for Valentine's Day, well into high school;  I don't think that's weird, necessarily 

Though I do hope she gave my father something better and vice versa!   Smile

zea.momie's picture

I recieved gifts from my parents on valentine's day.  Nowhere near what they got,  but something.

I get for my steps and bios.  A tiny box of candy with a funny saying and a little stuffed animal.   Nothing near as nice or big as I get my hubby, but it's something. 

Getting kids the same thing or better than your spouse is wrong in my eyes.   There does need to be a line between how you treat your spouse and the kids. 

Thisisnotus's picture

Thank god, NO. I literally couldn't stomach it if my DH Went out shopping for Valentines gifts for his teen daughters.....unless it was something we decided on TOGETHER and went out shopping for all of the kids.

Last year I thought it would be nice to get all the kids a little something....so I did. Both skids left their gifts untouched for a week....so I tossed it all in the trash and vowed to never do it again.

Trying to Stepmom's picture

DH doesn't really, but I do. 

My mom did gifts for my sister and I. Would even let us have a cupcake for breakfast. She even sent me stuff in college (which was probably more to beat the winter blues than for V day). I always wanted to do this for my kids. 

I tried to get a little bag of goodies together for SD last year and DH gave it to her while he was shuffling her around from school to her sport-of-the-moment. With all that's been going on lately and SD's ungratefulness, I will not be doing it this year. I will get something for DD3 and if we happen to have SD this weekend like we're supposed to, DH can buy her something she won't appreciate.

So I don't think it's odd, unless the SO is buying the same gift for their SO and kids or getting a bigger gift for the kids.  

MrsMiserable's picture

My DH hates Valentines Day and only gets me something because he feels like he should. Even though I've told him multiple times if you don't want to then don't!! But he definitely doesn't buy the kdis Valentines Day gifts. I have always bought my bios a small box of candy or stuffed animal or something. Last year I included his boys and bought all four kids a box of their favorite candy. The steps didn't say thank you and just tossed it in their rooms. I found it two weeks later untouched and swore that would be the last time I included them. 

Kes's picture

IMO Valentine's Day is for lovers and not for kids.  Goddess knows we have/had little enough in our lives that's sacrosanct from the entitled SKIDs.  I think DH did get his daughters anonymous Valentines cards for a couple of years when they were young, but thankfully he dropped that rather sad habit. 

justmakingthebest's picture

I get all of our kids those little $2 heart box of chocolates that has like 5 and only 1 good one. LOL 

My parents got the same one for me and my bother and sister growing. 

DH and I do special little things for each other. This year I got him a beef jerky bouquet! I am silly excited about this stupid thing!

classyNJ's picture

When they were younger I would leave a little box of chocolates for the SS's, but DH has never gotten them anything for Valentines day.  

ndc's picture

Valentine's Day is not a romantic holiday in my house now, or my house growing up.

My dad always got me, my sisters and my mom a similar gift (chocolate and/or flowers).  My DH doesn't get me the same thing as the kids, but everyone gets something. 

I guess it's all how you view it. Here, we bake heart shaped cookies, the kids make Valentines for classmates, they make/decorate the Valentine mailbox for school, there are Valentines Day parties at school - it's more a kid holiday than a romantic one. I view it as a "Hallmark holiday" and don't really care.

Penny19's picture

I guess every family has its own traditions. As a child I never received gifts on Valentine's Day. My DH never bought his kids anything for it either, thank goodness, because he was raised the same way. Valentine's Day was always a day for couples, marriage proposals, romantic dinners out....things like that. I am puzzled and surprised when I look at the cards for VD and there's a Valentine card for every member of the family and in-law.  And at the price of stamps, I don't even mail cards anymore! I agree that it has become a "Hallmark holiday."   Besides that, any cards I do buy come from Dollar Tree or Dollar General.

Disillusioned's picture

My DH would always buu a little someting for SD's, and if VD fell on their weekend with us he would want to celebrate it with me the week before or after...it did initially hurt my feelings, especially one time when YSD was about 19, still coming over on scheduled visits and DH insisted we have no plans even though SD had a boyfriend at the time and I was sure she would be spending it with him which she was, but I realize now DH was just trying to make sure that SD's didn't feel he loved them less/didn't care, etc... 

Perhaps the bio parents who do this are just trying to minimize any jealousy their kids might feel twoards his partner

Of course making sure they understand it's a day for lovers and not children would be ideal, but at the end of the day not something I care enough to get too worked up over anymore!

Mr Meanie Man's picture

As a stepfather i bought my SD a small Valentine's gift when she was 5. My SS was upset bcuz he didn't get anything. I told him boys dont get boys vday gifts but thats another story. Not since then, just because I always thought there was no need. When i was a kid my mother would always leave "something" on the table. Reeses heart or Hershey kisses  nothing serious. Even as a kid understood Valentine's was a couple in love type thing and I saw it as my mom just saying i love you. Some teach/see it as a general "love" day. But yea if hes "upset" about you receiving a better or bigger gift for vday, thats an issue. ESPECIALLY if hes nearing teenage years, matter of fact it is weird, weird as hell. But again this is coming from a guy who refuses to get his SS anything on Vday