You are here

Please HELP. This is a nightmare.

BostonSun's picture

I apologize ahead of time because I know this is going to be a long post. But we are in a desperate situation, and I am SO grateful that I found this website where I can possibly vent to someone who just might UNDERSTAND.

When my husband and I got married, my children from my previous marriage were grown, but he had an eight-year-old daughter who we have full-time custody of. Bio-mom was a neglectful, selfish, lazy, alcoholic who abandoned her kid and never worked a day in her life. My husband and I each work two jobs, and now we had an 8 yr old to raise, 24/7. SD needed a mother. She needed reassurance that her Dad (or I) wouldn't "leave" her, like her BM did. Her hygiene was atrocious, and she had terrible body odor. Her activities resembled those of a four-year-old. In the third grade, she was in her room alone all the time, coloring or playing with stuffed dogs. She could not tell time, nor could she tie her shoes, and she did not even know how to wipe herself after using the bathroom. She was horrible to her grandparents, and screamed and cried when she had to go visit with them. She threw temper tantrums if she didn't get her way. She had no regular bed-time.

So I dug in and helped, because that’s what families do: step up for each other no matter what life throws your way. I helped her with her schoolwork. I met with her teachers. I signed her up for youth basketball and I attended every game and cheered her on. I taught her how to wash herself, how to take a shower and clean her hair, how to tie her shoes, how to tell time. I signed her up to be in a mother-daughter fashion show with me. I took her trick-or-treating, we made Halloween treats together. I went to her school concerts. I took her to feed the ducks. I took her school shopping. I organized birthday parties. I helped her rebuild her relationship with her grandparents. I take care of her when she’s sick. I encourage her to do her best.

I even tried to help BM get back into SD’s life, by encouraging visits and phone calls, inviting her to to our home, to SD’s basketball games (BM dropped the ball and never showed up once). Not only was I raising my new SD, but now I was dealing with BM, who would still beg my husband for money, whose boyfriends would call our house and threaten us, who would set up SD for a visit and then never show up, who would phone us while she was drunk and high, demanding that I let her speak to “her daughter”. We spent hundreds of hours in court with her. Things started to get better as I took on the responsibilities, and BM faded away. We began to see positive changes in SD’s life, and so did her teachers and other parents. (BM was given a no-contact order by the Court. However, BM has since filed for visitation and her sister has started to call and visit constantly... so we are STILL dealing with that side).

About a year and a half ago, as SD began to get older, I began adding little chores to her life. Nothing big (no chimney-sweeping or window-washing), just how to care for our pets, and I showed her how to do her own laundry (as I did with all of my other children). SD started to resent having responsibilities and at every chance she got, she would “forget” to do it. She would neglect to give the cats any water for days, leave the dog outside on his chain for hours. We had to take those chores away (for the health and safety of the animals), and we tried to start “smaller”… keep your room clean. She would complain to her father, because she knew he would feel bad. I was becoming the “evil-step-mother”. She started to act more “needy” toward Dad, and (when her father was at work), more and more nasty to me. My husband fell for the act, and the kid recognized it and began to use it to her advantage. I knew what was happening, and tried to explain it to my husband. He does not believe me, and he thinks I’m too strict. I think she should have to earn the extras and the fun stuff, because she will build self-esteem. SD has realized that she can “play” her father to give herself a life of ease, at the same time causing grief to me (the source of her “work”).

SD is now 12 yrs old, and in Middle School. She still sits in her room drawing pictures and playing Nintendo. Her father feels bad for her, and says, “That’s just the way she is, she’s not popular.” She has her own room, and a TV with cable, Playstation, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS. She wanted a dog, so Dad got her a puppy, now she doesn’t take care of it, she has had 2 brand new bicycles in the past three years (which she doesn’t even use, because her father drives her everywhere). She does not know how to be a good friend – she is thoughtless and mean to other kids. She lies to her father, and he believes everything she says. If she can get away with it, she will not wash her face, brush her teeth, or shampoo her hair. She dresses like a slob. She still has NO chores or responsibilities, except to keep her room clean, which she does not do. She has lost or broken FIVE pairs of glasses (at $100 apiece), which she needs, but hates to wear. She has tons of DVDs which lay broken and scratched and strewn about her room, along with candy wrappers and junk food (which she sneaks). She gets D’s and C’s on her report card. She is missing homework assignments. She has told people in our town that I am mean to her (we live in a very small town, and my husband and I also work in this town, so word gets around quickly). She talks to me like dirt (or completely ignores me) when my husband is not around, but when he’s home, she does the sweet little, “Hi, Mom!” when she walks by me.

We signed her up to play town youth soccer, basketball, and softball. In three years she has still not made friends with a single kid on ANY of her teams. She tells us that no one likes her. We sent her to summer camp (two weeks, sailing, horseback riding, crafts, kayaking) and she said she didn’t like it and she won’t go back. We had her Core Evaluated at school – they said she has no learning disabilities. We went to a family therapist for months who said, “She is fine. She has developed good coping strategies to help with the trauma of the loss of her bio-mom.” This proves to me that she has become an expert manipulator of the adults around her.

Our home has become a dark, depressing nightmare: It is not an exaggeration when I say we have angry, painful fights (about this child) EVERY day. I do not want to come home from work anymore. I do not want my husband to hate his life. He keeps saying, “Why don’t you just ignore her, and let me do it my way?” I say, “Why don’t we just become a team and show this child that we are both on the same page when it comes to our expectations of her? She doesn’t have to like me. You just need to back me up on the rules.” I feel that if the marriage comes first, SD will respect that and follow suit. I said to him, “I haven’t changed, you haven’t changed. What HAS changed is that SD is getting older, and she is sabotaging this marriage.” Right up until our most recent fight (first thing this morning), he has still said to me, “You’re wrong. That is your opinion.”

I can’t sit by and NOT do anything. We all have to live in this house together. Part of my problem is that I am being selfish about our future. I am afraid that if I “ignore” the problems, she will NEVER become independent. We will have a 20 year old version of her BM on our hands… someone who can not hold a job, will not take care of herself, living off of boyfriends and welfare, and STILL clinging to her father to bail her out of every jam she gets in. I do not want to lose my husband, and at the same time I do not want to have a needy, dysfunctional child on my hands for the rest of our lives! I also am very afraid for SD; I fear that she is genetically inclined toward a negative lifestyle. As nasty as she is to me, I still want her to be a capable young adult who can make good decisions. Not someone (like her BM) who we will have to pick up at mental institutions after yet another suicide attempt or “accidental” overdose.

Is it me? Am I being unrealistic? I will admit this: I do think that I know what’s best, and maybe I am being too stubborn. But, I have a ton of parenting skills and experiences (good and bad, I know where I did well and where I made mistakes). I raised three kids on my own (who turned out to be well-adjusted adults), I also had D.S.S. foster children, and my job of thirteen years is that I am a teacher at an “alternative” high school for troubled teenagers. Between my job and D.S.S., I have been to hundreds of counseling sessions, courses and workshops on childhood behavior, and I experienced literally hundreds of real life situations every day with my own children and with my students. My husband has never had any other kids.

This kid has more fun and has more toys and more vacations and experiences than any kid I’ve ever met! She has security (we manage to pay our bills and we own our own home). I was exactly as strict with my bio-kids as I am with SD – except that my other kids had chores. My husband will allow SD to have “extras” without any effort on her part. The newest “extra” for SD is that Dad has now signed her up to play Travel Softball… extra fun in addition to the regular town softball. Extra cost to us. Extra time invested in driving to games, practices, etc. And SD still doesn’t have a care in the world. Still treats me like shit, too. This travel softball thing is the current source of ALL our fights. It’s really pissing me off.

We can not live another day like this. I keep saying to my husband, “She is only 12, I guarantee you it will be worse when she’s 15!” I am starting to think that I am selfish, and I am beginning to doubt myself. I am exhausted to the point of insanity. I don’t know what else to do. And I feel like I am just getting old and bitter.

Thank you for letting me vent.

Gia's picture

I don't have much to say other than... you ARE a wise woman... you DO know what you are talking about...

I'm sorry you have to go through this, but it seems like DH is not willing to hear his faults from YOU, after all you have done for his daughter... maybe a professional can help out...

Good luck...

~You can see clearly only with your heart. What is truly important is invisible to the eyes~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's

BostonSun's picture

Gia, thank you for your encouragement. I knew this would be a good thing for me. My question is, what other kind of professional could help? We've gone to therapy, we've had her evaluated at school... all to no avail. I'm so tired of seeing this kid go off on a scott-free lifestyle, and SO sick of watching my husband enable her behavior.

It's weird - my husband is an otherwise normal, decent guy. He is helpful, generous, and kind to me in every other way possible. It's just when it comes to his kid, he can't (or won't) see how hurtful this is to me... even when I tell him. I keep feeling like what has to happen is he has to "catch" her in the act of being a little brat, or for SD to really screw up in school or at home.

But you know what? We've already had TWO incidents of what I consider to be dangerous warning signs: 1. We were out to dinner (down the street), and while we were gone, SD opened the door to a complete stranger who said he was from Comcast, and she told him "my parents aren't home right now." And 2. SD's (male) teacher told us in a parent conference that she was trying to flirt with him to get a better grade. YIKES! What MORE does my husband need to hear????

BostonSun's picture

Not a bad idea. Wink

melis070179's picture

I think its your husband that needs the help. She is doing exactly what any normal kid would do, push her limits & see what she can get away with. HE needs to take some of these parenting workshops and the classes you've been to and learn some techniques in managing teens! Find a teen parenting workshop and MAKE HIM GO!!

"I child proofed my whole house, but they STILL get in!"

jojo71's picture

My goal is to one day be able to step up for my SD8 as much as you have. My FH does well but does do a lot of guilt parenting (BM was shot and killed by police in Feb.). I admire everything that you have done for your SD. And I agree w/ Gia...it sounds to me like with all of your experience, your DH should be taking SOME advice from you. He has to be on your team or the family will be broken. Does he understand that? I almost feel like I'm giving myself advice because I have a *slightly* similar situation. If your DH would step up and be a parent to this child as much as you have, I'm betting she wouldn't feel resentment toward you anymore. Right now, he's the fun guy and you're, like you said, the mean one. That's unbalanced and not healthy for your SD. I hope your DH will agree to counciling for the entire family. Sounds like you need a third (neutral) party to tell your DH what it sounds like you've been trying to tell him all these years.
Good luck.

BostonSun's picture

Thank you for your reply, and for your kind words. I can not imagine how difficult YOUR life must be. I honestly mean no disrespect, but... shot by the police??? BM must have been some piece of work, if you'll forgive my presumption. You've got to be one strong lady. How on earth did you handle that with your SD? We had a tough enough time telling SD (at 10) that her BM was homeless and substance-addicted. And now you have this same situation on your hands that I do - a husband consumed with overcompensating, and an 8 yr old girl to look after 24/7 - with no visitation relief and no child support.

We are going to try counseling again, but this time just the two of us at first. Thanks for the good luck wishes... I'm afraid we're going to need it.
Peace. I wish you the best as well.

jojo71's picture

There aren't many parenting books that tell you how to parent a child whose BM was a mentally unstable alcoholic who was killed tragically when the child was at an age when she really needs her mom. I've struggled with having to balance compassion with standing my ground. In our situation, FH decided to not tell SD8 the true story yet about what happened. He told her it was a car accident (which is partially true) but nothing about the police or the shooting. To our knowledge she hasn't heard it from anyone else either. I know eventually it will need to be explained to her though.

While the situation was very tragic, it was still a blessing because we don't have the constant drama anymore, don't have to worry about what condition BM is in when she had SD8 anymore, and FH now received a substantial amount of support from BM's social security benefits each month (which is much better than what he USED to get which was nothing). So while emotionally it is still difficult, I count my blessings that at least we don't have a hellish BM to deal with anymore, and financially SD8 is taken care of.

Colorado Girl's picture

Hey there.

I have a husband who is living in a FOG (Fear/Obligation/Guilt) when it comes to his daughters and their mother. There is not effective communication between him and I because he simply will raise his defenses when I try to coerce him to see it from my point of view.

My best advice for you. Release yourself from the FOG that is consuming your life... even if for a little bit.

You have valid worries about the future of your SD. You have also taken on a burden that is really not yours to take. You have laid some serious groundwork as a parent, yes, but you are still limited as to what your influence will ever be. She is being empowered because she has the ability to triangulate between you and her dad... upsetting both of you and forcing your husband to takes sides.

I can clearly see that you are an intelligent woman. So answer me this. Is there anything that you haven't done to convince your husband that your SD is not as perfect as he presumes her to be? I'm guessing that you have approached this time and time again.

He's not listening.... and I can only assume that your communication skills are in tune.

I say let him allow you to ignore her. Not in the juvenile sense where you walk around not talking to her. But in the sense that you gently place all that is her back on the shoulders where they belong...even if only for a little while. Let him deal with the monster he has created. I don't see any real dramatic event occuring (like you fear she is on drugs or will become pregnant)so let the day to day idiocricy become his problem. Take a break so you can rejuvenate your own mental/physical health. Join a yoga class or a book club or whatever will inject a little of your own happiness. This will give you ALL a break from each other.

My skids mom is mentally ill. I have come to realize I can only control me. I can only react and interact in my own healthy way, hoping that my stepdaughters and my husband follow my lead. I'm learning to let go of the idea that it will all get better and my husband's "FOG" will lift. That is his journey and his battle, and I can not be his beacon of light. I am not his savior nor am I my stepdaughters'. I accept my stepdaughters for who they are and who they possibly may become, probably disordered like their mom for the chips are stacked against them for sure. I still love them and I accept that there is only so much I can do as a stepmom. I will merely lead by example of what a healthy, happy woman looks like and hope they follow my example instead the misery that surrounds their mom. I won't let the misery consume my life... by letting go of the dream that it will ever be different. My unhappiness was fueled solely by this wish of something else.

Much love to you. Smile

"For every ailment under the sun....There is a remedy, or there is none;
If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it." ~ W.W. Bartley

onehappygirl's picture

I don't think anyone could have said it better. Excellent advice. You have done so much for this child. It is time to let her father have the job of raising her now.

BostonSun's picture

it's the future I'm worried about. He has been raising her, too. His way is not working, and I am so afraid that the next ten years are going to be a nightmare because of it.

BostonSun's picture

Thank you for your caring and thoughtful advice. I believe you are very right about the FOG, and it takes a strong person to see that and to let go of the idea that it will ever be any better. Sad, too. I guess that I entered into this marriage/family with the idea of "fixing and helping" everything, while still enjoying the companionship of my new husband. I wanted so much to finally have some personal happiness - I am 44 years old, and my first family of children are all in their 20's now. I've been parenting for twenty-eight years, and have not had the benefit of a loving partner for many years, until now. I suppose it is time to admit that we cannot live in impossible hopes of an enjoyable carefree relationship. This is just how it is, and I can't fix everything.

There is just something in the back of my mind telling me that if I let go of the responsibility of raising this child and let my husband handle it, then we will never have a life together as we will forever have the dysfunction of her behavior. You and I have much in common. How do you think our futures will turn out if our skids DO become disordered as adults? It scares me to think of that shadow hanging over the rest of my adult life.

I liked very much what you said about "I can only control me." I need to start looking at things like that, too.

I think what I'd really like to do is go out for a few drinks with my 24-yr-old daughter, who IS a happy, healthy, well-adjusted young lady. At least I did something right. Smile

Much love and gratitude back to you, sister.
Thank you.

Colorado Girl's picture

"I guess that I entered into this marriage/family with the idea of "fixing and helping" everything, while still enjoying the companionship of my new husband."

My need to fix. Hmpph. Blum 3

I am the grand fixer of all things. I am the sucker for the underdog and the pseudo martyr who swoops in to save the day all in the name of kindness, compassion, humanity, whatever.

Thing is... I'm completely full of shit here.

In reality I do it all beacuse of...get this... fear and validation.

Otherwise, I wouldn't care when nobody says thank you and doesn't tells me JUST how great I am.

I have much to fix in myself that I just don't feel like addressing, so I project and try to fix everyone else. Just so they can see my worth...value me...love ME. The White Knight Syndrome is what they call it.

So out of fear of not being loved, I do more than my fair share in hopes that I can prove my value (which I obviously think is not enough by just being me)...so of course I then become resenful when I'm not valued by the very person who I've shown exactly how to treat me. In other words, I'm pissed because my offerings have now become an expectation and out of resentment I quit doing what I've always done and he's pissed because I stop fullfilling his wants like I always have.

And that is the dance we dance.

"How do you think our futures will turn out if our skids DO become disordered as adults? It scares me to think of that shadow hanging over the rest of my adult life."

And there you have it. Fear. It's what drives us all when we are angry and resentful. According to Yoda, it's the path we take to the darkside.

You can't be afraid of it, you have to accept it as part of the deal. Otherwise you jump ship. We can dance and dance, but in the end we, again, can only control our own emotions and reactions. Your SD has a very good chance at being disordered, regardless of your very best efforts to change that. Your husband is enabling her and probably will continue to do so because of the FOG. (I'm learning to accept this very same thing) So what can you do about it? Change you... change your perception of your situation. Realize that she is who she is and place no stock in her ever changing... or that husband of yours in regards to her.

It's tough. I haven't mastered it yet. I'm trying and I'm learning to fix in myself what allowed my own situation to escalate the way it did. It's all a process of self healing for me, learning to love myself more so that I can in turn have an expectation of being loved the way I deserve. Knowing that there is not a soul on this earth that can make me happy... except for me. Sure they can add to it, but the creation of it is all within.
The rest is all just icing on the cake of my own contentment.

So know this and please find comfort in it... I understand just how you feel.

Smile

"For every ailment under the sun....There is a remedy, or there is none;
If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it." ~ W.W. Bartley

BostonSun's picture

...if only it was that easy. Easier said than done, but I'm going to try.
Thank you.

Casper3's picture

in our SM situations, as opposed to being the BM, there is always a barrier that we can't cross no matter how good our intentions. I am both and have heard many times when attempting to stand up for the SS's that it isn't my decision or my problem. Very hard to hear when you are trying so hard and you envision disaster at the end. But what it comes down to, is that if you respect your DH, and it sounds like you do, that you have to respect his decision for his daughter. You can disagree but in the end it is his decision. All you can do, is run your life on your terms and leave the rest for him to deal with.

I have found by softly stating my point of view (one time only) and then leaving him alone to digest it, DH usually comes back a week later with ideas that are surprisingly familiar. He just hates to think that I have "won" a fight ;-). Maybe yours is the same. DH's can be surprisingly simple. Try one topic at a time too. I have noticed if I bring up more than one example, he translates that into numerous issues and it is overwhelming for him...Can we say WALL?!!

Please keep us posted. I feel for your situation and especially for your SD. I too can see where these continued allowances for inappropriate behaviors can go really wrong. On the other hand, both your SD and DH might stop fighting you, if you change your tactic (notice I didn't say goal).