You are here

Picking up kid at BioMom's house

Kikster's picture

Recently my husband and I have had issues with Bio-Mom and we are going back to court. In order to avoid confrontation with her during this heated time I suggested that when I pick my step-daughter up, I would just honk the horn and wait in the car for my step-daughter to come out. (Bio Mom watches the kid everyday before and after school).

BioMom called my husband and said that doing that would psychologically and/or emotionally damage the child.

My opinion is that honking the horn would do nothing to the child and getting into a fight with her mother in front of her would damage her more.

I have to pick up the kid because my husband works late.

What are your thoughts on this?

Anne 8102's picture

If the child is traumatized by the honking of a car horn, then y'all got bigger problems than can ever be resolved in a courtroom. Puleeeeeez! Honking to let her know you're there is the best way to be non-confrontational during the exchange. What does she want you to do? Bring Mary Poppins with you to perform "A Spoonful of Sugar on her front lawn?!

~ Anne ~

We are the masters of our own fate; the architects of our own destiny.

laughterandtears's picture

Honk the horn. I agree w/ Anne. Or even better, why the hell can't she drop HER child off? You know, it's not like you DON'T want to confront her, you just would rather be an adult and NOT act like a spoiled child not getting your way. I repeat, honk the horn anyway. The child won't be damaged. Has this never occured before? No one has ever came in your or BM's driveway and honk the horn? Was the kid damaged? Doubtfully. BM will just have to get over it.
IF IT WAS EASY, EVERYONE WOULD DO IT.

OldTimer's picture

Mary Poppins... LMAO...

Geesh, if you have a punctual time, ie, around 6pmish- whatever- is there windows that the girl can watch for you to pull up, then just bounce out to meet you? Or wait on the front step or a porch etc when it's 6pm for a few minutes?

I needed that laugh by the way, 'bout ready to chock my cranky, grumpy, not sleeping husband...

Wink StepMom

Man has the intelligence to change his life,
Sometimes, he just fails to use it...

Anne 8102's picture

How many times do I have to say it?! ROLLING PIN! If you whack him hard enough, believe me, he will sleep! Wink

~ Anne ~

We are the masters of our own fate; the architects of our own destiny.

Kikster's picture

I'm glad you guys are on my side. DH and I have actually decided to take the kid to a day care again. So now I won't have to worry about picking her up every day (on the weeks we have her). But when I told my DH that it was rediculous, and that I was going to honk the horn, he told me not to so as to not upset BM. She also thought that I would get mad if the kid didn't hear the horn and not come out right away! I was ready to buy the kid a cell phone just to call her and tell her to come outside! I'm glad we're going back to using a regular day care. All this bull sh*t is not worth it!