You are here

O/T...Feeling a little down...bio kid (holiday) related

abugandabean's picture

When my exH and I split we spent the first Christmas/Thanksgiving together for the kids, next year he was supposed to have him but was too interested in his new girlfriend at the time so he let me have them, then last year was my scheduled year so I had them, this year is his..

This will be my first year with out my bios waking up rushing down the stairs so excited for Christmas morning and this is the first year my daughter really gets it.

I know this is the nature of the beast and this is the decision I made when I agreed to a divorce however it is still a little sad.

How did everyone else get through the first few years of getting used to holidays without your bios? Christmas morning is going to be so strange. None of my friends are divorced so they don't understand they said enjoy sleeping in. Lol.

Car's picture

I switched it, made our own tradition, Christmas Eve morning was our Christmas. After years of arguing about Christmas I let him have the 25th for good and made the 24th ours. It hurt much less and usually just spent Christmas day (and still do) in PJ's watching movies and eating left overs. It will get easier as time goes on.

Stepintime0111's picture

I'm actually a little sad about not having my skids this Christmas lol. I know. Gasp! We've had them every year for Christmas for the last 5 years. Bm was always single or claiming to be Jewish or whatever. Now, she is Christian again since she has a boyfriend who is and is taking the kids this year to his family's house, so we won't see them for 2 weeks around Christmas. We have a ds 2 together, so we are just going to have a lower key christmas this year and hang out with my family, who the skids get bored with because there are no young kids to play with. It will be a nice change of pace, but I'll miss the excitement. My bs has autism and doesn't understand holidays or santa or gifts. Selfishly, that makes me really sad because I always envisioned his excitement around the holidays and he just has no clue, but I know that's more about me than him.

If you can get them Christmas Eve, start a new tradition and make the best of a quiet christmas!

learningallthetime's picture

Yep, pretty much just move Christmas. We alternate, so on the years I have from school end to Christmas eve night, we do Christmas early on, he can then enjoy his presents. This year my family is visiting for NY from the UK, so was hoping to do it later with everyone, not sure BS8 will be in agreement!