You are here

OT - What would you do it this situation?

sahm629's picture

Hi, I'm new - What would you do in this situation???

Suppose there had just been a tornado in your neighborhood.

Fortunately your house was spared and the tornado did not hit it.

However,you've had alot of problems with your home - the toilets are overflowing, the sink backs up, you have a cockroach problem, your air conditioner isn't working, your lighbulbs are out, etc.

Unfortunuately, the tornado hit your neighbors house.

They are currently trapped, underneath all of the rumble, and you can hear their two kids and baby crying.

You have some equipment that can safely clear their house and get them out. Do you help them? Or do you just ignore it because your toilet if overflowing, air conditioner is broken, etc?

I'm being serious, what would you do in this situation?

sahm629's picture

In case you don't get it, I'm asking this b/c there was alot of negative comments on another blog post (here at step talk) about why the US should not help Haiti because of the problems we have here...

I'm being serious, what would you do?????????

stepmasochist's picture

well duh, of course you would get the kids out.

I missed the other posts about this issue, but in case you didn't know, Haiti was a disaster BEFORE the hurricane. I mean, the average annual income is $270. The unemployment rate is over 50%. They're destroying their environment and squandering what few precious resources they have.

The only thing this earthquake can do, is help them - economically. The way things are looking now, if they don't squander what aid they get, as a country, they'll be better off economically then they were before the earthquake.

Might sound harsh, but it's true. Should the U.S. help them? I think we're spread a little thin right now and can't even help ourselves. It's not as easy as busting out the backhoe and digging out the neighbors' kids. You're looking at millions of dollars we simply don't have thanks to current and recent former leadership.

I think we should let our private sector handle it. Check out this website that helps you figure out the best way for you to help.
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/impact/