You are here

OT-Things I miss Thursday

Thumper's picture

A recent post I read about a mans girlfriends parents not accepting him because of their Religion is against divorce, made me think of the many things I miss in this generation.

I miss people dressing nice. People go out in public looking like they do not have to nickels to rub together.

I miss walking into a Doctors office when I am sick and NOT hearing everyone talking over everyone, Yapping it up on their cell phones and parents making their unruly kids sit and be quite "because people don't feel good".

I miss the medical staff filling out paper work for you. YES there was a time when they did that. Today they shove a clip board in your hands.

I miss the anticipation of Christmas Decorations magically appearing in stores the day after Thanksgiving. Heck they are out now and Halloween is next week.

I miss the days when I could turn on the TV at 8pm and NOT have to shove our younger teen out of the room because of adult themes. I miss that.

I miss the days when the town tramp would not show her face in town during the day.

I miss when someone was arrested they were ran out of town because no one wanted that trash in their community. Today the buzz words are THEY made a bad choice...Give me a darn break.

I miss when parents were parents. They didn't buy your first car YOU did. IF you didn't go to college after high school, you joined the service OR had a full time job. Either way you never ever mooched off your parents. They kicked your ass out. IF your lucky you would eat for free at the holidays and maybe bring home laundry to do, provided you brought your own laundry detergent that YOU paid for with your the money you earned.

witch.hazel's picture

I also miss the times when people didn't have these stupid phones. It's so sad, you can't even spend time with your own family anymore without everyone looking down at these idiot devices- no one is paying attention to their surroundings. Everything you do and say can be recorded by audio and/or video recording apps at any time. You have no privacy. People take random pictures of you without permission that end up on the internet. People feel that they are entitled to call and demand your attention immediately, or facetime you. They actually get angry when you don't answer or text back right away. No one understands the ONE person out of 100 who is not looking at a phone every second of the day.

I also miss jobs before these days when everyone is asking for applicants to have two college degrees, five years of experience, and want to pay $12-15 per hour (or will not even list the pay in the ad).

Aniki-Moderator's picture

I also miss when parents were parents. This BS of being your child's friend instead of being your child's parent is exactly that: BS. I see too many raised like that who have zero respect for any adult. He!!, we already have a generation of "adults" who have zero respect for adults. You know, because MY generation ruined everything for the millennials. Pfffft.

I miss going to a restaurant and enjoying a meal without witnessing someone's kid/kids running around, screaming, and being a major little arse.

I miss figure-SKIMMING clothes. WTH does everything have to be freaking skintight?? It has to cling to every cellulite dimple/muscle ripple/fat roll/hip bone/leg hair/camel toe... BLECH.

And I really miss the flowing 'hippie' dresses and tops that pregnant women used to wear. Why are they embracing this skintight caca?? I honestly do not want to see you in skintight barely-covering-your-arse-sweater-dress with your now-6-inch-outie-belly-button poking out like the Alien busting out of John Hurt's bod.

queensway's picture

I miss Sunday dinners with all the family. Having fun cooking a meal that everyone is going to enjoy. It seems like now all we do is run errands on Sunday playing catch-up.

Thumper's picture

YEs yes yes yes yes to everyone's Misses.

I have witness so many homes where kids are NOT safe...parents strung out on what drug they can find. Kids neglected and passed around like chattel.

Poor little ones.

I DO miss trying on clothing that doesn't need a shoe horn to get into our out of.

Sunday Family Meals....such nice memories.

I loved family Sunday dinners growing up. If you lived at home, unless you were working, you were at dinner on Sunday. In fact, Saturday dinners at home were so awesome, that we usually went on dates AFTER dinner! LOL

Thumper's picture

Aniki YES dates. That is when dates were dates.

Boy comes to door. dressed in decent clothing. Knocks on door. WELL HELLO MR and MRS Goodluck parents, how are you this evening? We are going to the movies for the 7pm show. I will have your daughter back between 915pm and 930pm The Sands boy and his girl are going with us too.

And the movie was rated PG or G,,,,,those ratings actually meant something. No one worried about being shot in the movies.

Goodluck, dates where the couple actually TALK to each other - not hang out together, but separately as they both play with their d@mn phones.

One of my sisters had a date who sat outside in his car and honked. My Dad walked out there and told the arsehole that his daughter was no longer able to go out with him. EVER.

We watched a fair number of R-rated movies. Back when movies had character and weren't always about how much blood and gore and sex and F bombs you could fit in.

ctnmom's picture

I miss people who are knocked up already/ have kids already quietly getting married at the courthouse/in a darkened church on a Tuesday night, instead of a big white joke of a wedding. Tacky tacky tacky.

SD24 is planning a huge blowout wedding. She wants a wedding set that costs $10K, has a $5K dress picked out, and wants a sit-down dinner reception complete with a band. But not until she's 26 (and can no longer use DH's insurance). She and her baby daddy have 2 kids. ~eye roll~

classyNJ's picture

I miss kids playing outside.

I miss Sunday walks in the woods and big dinner afterwards.

I miss the church social where we made wreaths for Christmas and going home to watch Charlotte's web.

I miss seeing kids hand made pumpkin faces taped to windows.

Kids playing outside... when I was a kid, you couldn't keep us inside!! Remember the days of taking off on your bicycle for HOURS? "Be home before dark."

SD24 claims that parents of that era were irresponsible when they let teenagers do that. Wonder how she managed to get knocked up at 16? Oh, yeah. BioHo was likely okay with her boinking at home. :sick:

Cooooookies's picture

I miss big family dinners at Grandma's house. Awesome home cooked food while everyone sat around a huge table and actually talked and spent good quality time together.

I miss when it was okay at school to say the Pledge of Allegiance, have the flag in each class room and teachers had the authority to make you behave.

I miss when a neighbourhood all knew each other. All of the parents were friends and all the kids played every weekend and all summer together.

Thumper's picture

ctnmom

YUP your on target. 2nd marriages were also down played. Done at the JP and small group of close friends/family with light refreshments following afterwards.

Not today...oh NOOOOOOOOOOO big blow out maybe a destination wedding with expected gifts from the their happy couples GIFT Registry. galore. Don't forget their GOFUNDME page for more wishes Wink

Rags's picture

Bravo!!!! I agree....

And.....

I miss parents with balls rather than these wastes of breeder skin that pump out snowflakes like a mouse pumps out a turd with about the same intrinsic value as the mouse turd. Barely enough substance to give a minuscule puff of smoke if you lit it on fire.

I miss when a high school education actually meant something and anyone with a diploma was literate, had a solid understanding of US Government, US History, World History, basic science, and could actually do a basic math problem without their fingers.

I miss when an assignment was done correctly that was the minimum standard rather than this getting credit because the little F@(% trophies are special by their mere existence.

I miss the days when there was a crime to report on the news they talked about the behavior and actually gave an accurate description of the perp rather than trying to mitigate the consequences of the chosen criminal behavior with some BS excuse and not actually describing the perp. Criminals perpetrate crime. PERIOD! The classification of "criminal" is demographic free. It is a choice and nothing else. I miss when we focused on the behavior rather than the excuse.

I miss when you wanted something you worked for it and earned it.

I miss when I hired someone right out of college it did not start with their whining in my office about their friend that got a signing bonus with another company or blathering about an assigned parking spot and changing the office professional dress code. I hired you to do a job and if you are doing that job then you are getting paid for doing that job. You want a raise.... do more.

Sigh

smh

OMG... I have turned into that cranky middle aged guy. Argghhhhhhhhh! :O

DaniAM73's picture

I miss receiving an actual card/invitation rather than an E card or text.

I miss having a phone conversation rather than receiving a text message instead.

I miss pictures in a photo album rather than looking at a collage of pictures on someone's phone.

I miss when ladies went out the house dressed like ladies rather than wearing leggings as pants.

I miss when rules, policies and procedures were followed in the workplace rather than do what you went when you want.

I miss when when management actually had experience and knew how to do the job rather than promoting someone who has been with the company less than five minutes and knows nothing.

I miss so much. But the list is too long.

MoominMama's picture

'I miss the days when the town tramp would not show her face in town during the day' - I didn't know our BM lived in your town }:)

I miss the days when people were allowed to be a little 'odd' or eccentric without ending up on the AS and joining the ranks of people told they are 'special'. Probably will draw some hate for this but i'm refering to the lumping together of all people who can tick even one box of the 'signs' and then are lumped onto the AS spectrum especially under the NOS group. I honestly believe this is a bad thing for those people. It's the sort of situation where people go 'he's on the AS spectrum so he can't do/achieve anything'.

I miss the days when children were allowed to be children, where they didn't have to have sexuality shoved in their face from the moment they were born.

I miss when little girls didn't wear shades of candy pink from head to toe.