You are here

OT- regression in nighttime potty training in bs(stb3)

PeanutandSons's picture

Bs has been day and nightime potty trained since last June. Hasn't worn a pull up or diaper since. He's had the occational nighttime accident..... Maybe one a week, sometimes twice a week.

Over the past month or two his has been wetting the bed more and more frequently. Now it is almost every night, sometimes twice a night.

At first I thought he was just tired and not wanting to get up, or being lazy and not wanting to get up. But last weekend, I had him in my bed with me for the second half of the night, as I ran out of clean sheets for his bed. Around 6am I hear him peeing in my bed, and roll over to look at him. He was completely 100% dead to the world passed out asleep. I had to shake him a little to wake him up and he was instantly aware of what he was doing and incredibly sorry.

Why would a child that had been successfully waking himself to pee at night for over 6 months, now suddenly sleep through it? Any ideas on how to help him get back on track?

PeanutandSons's picture

Yeah, I had to buy several more sets of waterproof mattress cover+sheets this weekend. I just couldn't keep up with the laundry during the work week anymore.

I really hope he grows out of it soon, cause it really does upset him when he wets the bed. He takes a lot of pride in being a big boy, and he's embarrassed and almost in tears when he wakes up and realizes he peed his bed. He is still spontaniously appologizing to Dh and me for peeing in our bed. He wants so badly to please, its heartbreaking.

PeanutandSons's picture

We started restricting his liquids an hour and a half before bedtime this week. Hasn't seemed to help yet, but we are going to keep with it.

Should we wake him up to pee half way through the night? Or would that hurt his body re-learning to wake itself up when he needs to go?

PeanutandSons's picture

That's how we've always done nighttime potty runs, he wakes me up and I take him. He's hesitant to walk through the dark house alone. Luckily I am a very light sleeper so his little "es-cuse me mommy, I have to go peepee"s wake me right up and I can take him.

I'm just worried that me taking him will stunt (for lack of a better word) his bodies efforts to re-learn how to wake itself up.

PeanutandSons's picture

Lol, he's does that too..... Mommy, I'm finished!!

I'm not worried about stunting him emotionally, as a person. But stunting the bladder-to-brain connection to wake himself up. I've looked over the web a bunch and some sites say to wake them and others say do not.

PeanutandSons's picture

It's not so much that he's peeing the bed, I realize that he's only 2. But that he wasn't peeing the bed for like 6-7 months, and now he is again. And how disapointed he is with himself.

Didn't even remember peeing the bed last night, woke up all confused as to why his sheets were different.

PeanutandSons's picture

BS made it through the night dry :D. Woke him up for a potty break at 1am, and he woke himself up for one at 3:30am.

He was so proud of himself this.morning.