You are here

OT-Pet Peeves Monday

Thumper's picture

The term "HOSTING" makes me cringe.. Hosting Thanksgiving, Hosting Christmas...HOSTING A BIRTHDAY PARTY, Hosting a PICNIC, Hosting a Baby Shower...omg to me it sounds so tacky. TACKY TACKY TACKY Maybe it is my upbringing.

Where I am from in both age and location the proper form would be: DH and I invite you to a Birthday party at our house for Matt. OR WE would love if you and your family would join us forThanksgiving dinner at 3'o'clock. Cocktails at 2'oclock.
OR WE are planning a party for blank at our place.

But nooooooooooooooooooo now folks say HOSTING Not me, I don't HOST ANYTHING. But I will cook a wonderful dinner that you are invited to. Hope you can come.

Here is another one. VENUE
Do you really think Chuckie Cheeze sounds better when you say The Venue for the party is CHUCKIE Cheeze? OR did you pick a VENUE yet????

How about the Dance Studio, does that sound better when you attach VENUE for Suzys 6th Birthday Party is really Joans Dance Studio. How about The Venue for our wedding is Jakes Barn. Sure sounds better doesn't it when you add VENUE in the same sentence with Jakes Barn.

Thank God none of these buzz words of today, were around 25years or more ago. The lovely Historical home we decided to have our reception at would have been over inflated in cost as a VENUE and we would have greeting guests at the door as Host and Hostess. Because that is what a HOST DOES when they are hosting. They greet and seat at Venues. Wink

What are YOUR pet peeves.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

People who post selfies Every.Freaking.Day. Insecure much?? Desperate for validation? Crikey. Get a therapist and find out WHY THE HE!! you need to post all of the bloody selfies.

Drivers who SUCK. They do not know the rules of the road. They do not know the meaning of road signs (YIELD). They do not know how to use a freaking turn signal (because I doubt that 47% of the population have broken turn signals...).

People who try to use big words to impress people. But they don't know the meaning of the word. For instance, "caveat". Caveat is a NOUN. It is not a d@mn verb. So you cannot "caveat that we pay attention to protocol". You WARN; not caveat. Pinhead.

Those who believe that EVERYONE can drink caffeine for energy. Nope. I can drink 4 shots of espresso and go to bed. Caffeine does nothing for me. I simply LUUUURRRRRRVVVV the taste of coffee.

Now I am going to road rage on some moron who forget his/her/its blinker because he/she/it is taking a selfie while driving and hit him/her/it with my steel travel mug. Wink

DaniAM73's picture

Can we talk about the selfies? That drives me crazy. It's all about the likes and the comments. I have taken a FB break. I just can't anymore.

DaniAM73's picture

Has the person's looks changed overnight? Oh and I know people that post from the time the wake up to the time they go to sleep. Do we really need to know about your day? We all work, cook, drive, drink coffee, laugh...you get the drift. It was wearing me out.

Newstep's picture

How about the selfies that are filtered beyond recognition!!! I have a few friends that post selfies whose noses have all but disappeared with the blurring filter. It drives me insane!!!

GhostWhoCooksDinner's picture

People who attention seek on FB. Which is why I no longer use FB.

"I'm so depressed...sigh...."

"Picking up the new car today. WOOHOO!"

"Oh no she didn't! Got something to say, say it to my face! You know who you are."

"I'm just so over all the BS!"

Sigh...me too. Me too....

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture

I have / had a friend who is going through a lot right now but what pisses me off is this right here.

She continually goes on face book and says stuff like this. Asking "How do I say what I need to when I feel it will make it worse."

If she's asked anything she refuses. If offered a person to vent to in privet she says no. She complains about being alone but refuses any company. This person was someone very close to me so I'm willing to bend over backwards to help but nothing is good enough.

Wants to make it out like no one can understand or she has this big secret to hold onto.

Flat out told me she didn't want me to think badly of "someone" and she doesn't want to cause drama.

Well then keep this crap off Facebook and stop fishing for people. If you have an issue with someone talk to them. If you want to vent then accept the people who offer an ear.

Facebook is public. Don't complain when someone actually tries to help you.

--figureditout--'s picture

My niece does this all the damn time. We were estranged for 99% of her life and have only been connected for about a year. She is autistic and uses that to explain everything. I admit, I don't know a whole lot about her particular type of autism, and she cannot answer my questions about it, but I do have friends on the spectrum who are upbeat for the most part.

DaniAM73's picture

Birthday month. When has a single day turned into a birthday month? Now the month of my birthday I will say it's my birthday this month, if I want the person to know. I know people who have a pre, day of, and post birthday party.

People living one life on FB and a completely different life in real life. Like come on.

Thumper's picture

Aniki and Ghost I do believe we are from the same mold.

OMG me toooooooooooooooooooooooo

I did not want to list all of my peeves today;) otherwise I would have to change my name to The Monday Grouch.

The selfie thing, pathetic drivers and FB attention grabbers. A friend of mine whom I have known for 'ever' posts the "FEELINGS" junk on FB. feeling depressed, FEELING sad...FEELING confused. 50,60 of the friends swarm to respond. Good Grief. Half of these people she doesn't really know.

HELL I just unfriended her. It was painful to witness.

Thanks for your peeves.

Thumper's picture

Isn't there fake spaghetti made from squash or something. IT IS NOT a pasta. EWWWWWW

I do not like food trick's.

ownpersonalopinion1's picture

My pet peeve is people on fb that have these awesome and amazing children that they
Love with their lives and last breathe and god only put them on earth because god picked
Them and only them and especially them to be little sissy or little joeys mom. I’m typing
From iPhone so just excuse any mistakes.

Thumper's picture

Here is another one. Myownpersonalopinion made me think of it.

1. 'Have a blessed day' when I check out at the grocery store. Do I look like maybe I wont????

2."have you found everything your looking for". I want to say: what are you hiding stuff in the back???

Gum crackers and snappers.

People who do not use turn signals turning onto a street. There YOU are sitting and waiting until they drive past you. THEN boom,,,they turn into where YOU are...heck I could have gone already.

DaniAM73's picture

Do they say it with an attitude? Because many years ago I was in Wendy's and the cashier got annoyed eith me. She said, "have a blessed day!" Like you stated maybe I wasn't because I annoyed her.

notasm3's picture

I live in a city with a predominantly African American population. Probably 80% of the people I interface with out in public are African American. It is very common especially for the older population (like my age) to say things like have a blessed day.

It does not offend me as I truly believe it is genuine and heartfelt. I feel that everyone can be "blessed" - it doesn't matter what or if any religious beliefs one may have. "Blessed" to me is an adjective like "good". But that's just me. Others are free to feel otherwise.

Thumper's picture

^^^LOL^^^ Oh DaniAM73, I will pay more attention next time. Maybe I did annoy her. I hope not. For real, I am super nice to everyone.

strugglingSM's picture

People who only post happy things about their lives on social media, especially when you know that things are not that happy in their lives.

A friend's sister is always talking about how her kids are the greatest thing ever and she can't wait to see her kids and her kids are her life and make her heart happy and blah blah blah. Every chance she gets, she sends her kids off to stay with someone else. Her sons were going off camping with their father for the weekend, so she sent her daughter off with someone else...and then complained to her parents that she was bored and lonely.

BM in my life also used to do that. She used to write a "blog" about how happy and wonderful their family was, including how much she loved DH and how he was the best husband ever. Less than one year later, she filed for divorce and told him "I was so miserable, I just couldn't take it anymore."

Also, people who brag about how much money they have or how much they spent on something, when you know they don't has as much as they pretend to have.

When I had fakebook, I typically posted funny memes and beautiful scenery. IMHO, there was enough negative crap on there. Also, I am an extremely private person. It doesn't matter if my life is on a major downswing...the last thing I'm going to do is post my personal life for all to see.

strugglingSM's picture

I agree. I have a love-hate relationship with FB. I use it to keep in touch with a small group of real friends and family members and the rest all seems like a bunk of annoying overshares.

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture

People who ask me how things are going then get on to me for being negative.

Like really? Umm work is crap because my hours are being cut. My insurance company isn't working with the only place that was consider "preferred" any more so now my co-payments are outrageous to the point I didn't seek medical care for over a month. BM is being a shit who won't get over herself and sign the damn paperwork.

Serious. I include the good stuff too. That the kids are behaving better in school. That we're really happy we got the room fixed up. That we had a wonderful weekend camping but your going to call me out on the negative stuff.

These same people are whining all over Facebook about their problems and spend hours venting to me about their crap but no I'm the problem.

Honestly I'm about ready to go to let go on Facebook over this shit. I've been so careful about not posting "negative" stuff because of this kind of crap but all my page has is their problems. I'm tried of 'pretending' everything is roses. There's good and bad and if they want support on their crap they need to support me on mine.

I'm tried of offering my shoulder to them then being told I'm an issue.

So I have to listen to your marriage failing, that you miss the kids, that your struggling to find work but I can't respond honestly when you ask me what's up?

SugarSpice's picture

my pet peeve is people who borrow things and never return them. this is sort of a hosting story.

one time a woman was a guest in our home attending a pool party. there was a late evening gathering on the deck and people were talking and being social but the breeze was getting chilly. she had not brought a jacket or sweater.

i loaned her one of my sweaters to wear and it was clear it was a loan and not a gift. she wore the sweater home. i never saw it again.

she clearly forgot to return it as several months had passed. it was a nice sweater. it was awkward to say anything because this woman is the wife of one of dh oldest friends from college. i could not suggest she was a scatter brain. i am sure it eventually was given away to the charity shop. this was more than ten years ago.

thanks to her i never loan clothing any more.

cold? shivering? gee why dont you go home so you can warm up?

Acratopotes's picture

When you have a party and you invite people to RSVP....... when they do not even bother answering, then you cater for the amount of people who did answer and these idiots simply shows up....

I've told family before.. sorry you did not RSVP, we did not prepare for you and this is a closed party not a public thing, cheers...

or when you invite X and Y... and they decide it's cool to bring their 3 best friend with ... no no no.. it's a family affair not your teenage Friday party, your friend where not invited.. cheers friends...

fairyo's picture

Yes, Acrat- but even worse than that when they say they are coming and don't- coming up with a lame excuse at the last minute and you realise that they never actually intended to come.
I had that happen to me on my recent birthday- the thing was they sent a cards in the post and then cancelled that morning which made me think they had never intended to come, as I has asked for no cards or gifts. These people live about an hour away and I am always the one who goes to see them, but when they have to come to me it never comes off.
One of them has never contacted me to even meet up again, and the other offered to have lunch another time because she was 'in the area'- I never responded to her either. Some people are just not worthy of my company...

strugglingSM's picture

I had that happen for my recent birthday party. I was honestly surprised when one "friend" replied and said she would come, because I hadn't seen her in forever. Then of course, she sends a message to DH (the party organizer) at 5pm that evening - party started at 7pm - saying she was sorry, but she couldn't make it. She later texted and said she was sorry she couldn't make it, but we should get together. I replied, "no worries. would love to get together." Never heard another word and haven't reached out, because I'm not interested in planning another thing for her to flake on.

A year ago, DH and I threw a big party for MIL's 70th birthday. DH invited nearly 200 people, 70 said they would come and only about 50 showed up. A couple of people who didn't show up were close family members. I don't think MIL noticed because she didn't realize who was invited in the first place and there were so many people she hadn't seen in forever, but still...

fairyo's picture

The two people who didn't turn up were people I had lost touch with and then got back in touch with. I wouldn't mind but one of them had a big anniversary party and we really put ourselves out to travel a long way because it was at her son's house. She has never visited my home, even when I used to go to hers regularly- then we always had to meet when it was convenient for her (she is about 13 years old than me, so I deferred to that) and we always had to eat where she wanted to eat etc. I just wish she had said straight out she didn't think she could make it. There have been no messages since, and she has now left Facebook- so that's another friendship on the pile.
As for the other 'friend' she did just as your friend, offering to take me to lunch when it was convenient for her. No thanks, you let me down once, how can I trust you will turn up again.
These two women were really on the fringes of my life but I was wish they had declined the invitation in the first place...

SugarSpice's picture

i have peeve about long lost acquaintances who you have not heard from in years suddenly sending holiday cards due to new businesses.

i also peeve about people in those mlms who hit you up to buy products or sell for them.

these acquantances and friends are a nuisance. i never respond. at first they dont take no for an answer so it takes several instances of ignoring to get the point through.

rose1979's picture

DUCK LIPS!!!! seriously!!!!! anyone doing this looks like they have an asshole on their face!!!!

filters!!!! no one uses a regular camera! everyone looks different from their pictures due to all these filters!

strugglingSM's picture

I hate those and also the sparrow face or whatever it's called, when the person opens their mouth while smiling.

strugglingSM's picture

Thought of another one:

People who never take responsibility for their own lives and are always blaming others when things don't go their way.

Acratopotes's picture

children running and screaming in a family restaurant....

yes I know it's a family restaurant but it still does not mean your child can run like an ape between tables screaming and playing - then you could've stayed at home..

what pisses me more off... I'm a smoker and you have to sit in the smoking section, glassed in, with 2 doors... yes cause you can not smoke with kids in the area... then these little snots come running through the smokers area.... and their parents complain about the smoke?? WTF.. keep your kid out of the smokers room ...

Because I have zero tolerance for unruly children and their crap parents, I always tell the host/hostess I want the "No Children" section. They think I'm joking until I give the The Look. I typically sit in the bar to eat to avoid the little heathens.

SugarSpice's picture

lol, acra, my thoughts exactly.

i hate to see little monsters running through a grocery store unsupervised. i often see a young mother beaming with pleasure as she watches her children throw the produce around like base balls.

sometimes they are expensive product. sometimes she will smile and them place the ruined produce back in the display. even worse i have seen mothers walk away leaving destroyed produce on the floor.

even more are the mothers who let their babies mouth the merchandise. then at check out them place the spit covered chewed object in the magazine rack as if someone will buy it after that.

then they take out welfare coupons and make every one else in line wait because they bought the wrong items. sorry dear but welfore for new moms wont cover liquor and cigarettes.

Acratopotes's picture

:jawdrop: that will not happen on Mars.....

if your kid plays with displays, security will step in and all damaged products will be paid for, by you... if you refuse police is called,
kids running around in super markets, hell NO, security steps in and detain them... you will be found and told in front of every one, please control your children it's not a play ground.

Produce being used before you paid, oh dear you can be sure of shoplifting charges....

DEigma works as floor manager for a huge chain, pharma and health.... daily there's issues about a customer who opened a tub of lotion, sorry M'am you are going to pay for that now, we can't sell second hand lotions, daily it's security and police.... cause you always have that one or 2 bitch customers who does not understand it

SugarSpice's picture

i would love to see store personnel enforce the rules in that super market. i think of all the money they have to write off from damaged merchandise.

i also see grown adults sampling the produce by eating cherries and grapes while shopping.

it makes me furious.

Thumper's picture

OMG Acratopotes...I smoke too.

Equally as annoying is smoking IN the outside smoking section and people walk thru shooting you the dirties looks. OR cover their nose.

We don't smoke in our cars or our homes. IF I want to smoke and have a cocktail I will. "IN THE SMOKING SECIONS"

momjeans's picture

I never knew people really did that - plug their nose when walking past a smoker - until a neighbor did it to my husband, walking by him on the sidewalk. I laughed and laughed and laughed . He smokes. I don’t.

He smokes outside or at work.

Also, when I first moved to the south in 2004, it wasn’t uncommon to see someone smoking in a grocery store. Not because it was allowable, but because some people gave zero f*^%s.

fairyo's picture

My answer to that is stay away from anything claiming to be a 'family' restaurant. With well behaved kids- you can take them anywhere.

Acratopotes's picture

no my friend... It's my adult duty to teach these brats manners lol...

Oh yes I stop them take them by the arm, back to their parents and tell the parents....Please teach your children manners..

If I see those kids running past my table again I might just trip them lol....

With us family restaurant means good food for cheap

SugarSpice's picture

i once gave a dirty look to a mother and her brat who was dropping and breaking dairy containers. i am sure some money was lost by the grocery store.

fairyo's picture

Ha ha- wish I could follow your example Acrat- in Fairyland you don't get good food in 'family' restaurants. The last time I went to one with my son it was like the worst place I ever ate and it was rammed packed with mums and kids paying for no service and very bad food. Places that don't cost the Earth and provide a good service for young families are like gold-dust here. I'd rather stay home and eat cheap than go to one of those places again- however, if you ever fancy a visit to Fairyland I'm sure your presence would be very welcome in these places!

momjeans's picture

— Bad drivers: Don’t know how to use a roundabout? Who has the right away? At a 3 or 4 way stop? Can’t be bothered with using their signals, effing-up the flow of traffic. Drivers that come up hot on my tail, when I’m already going at least 5mph over the speed limit, then swerve like a madman in an attempt to either pass me on the shoulder, or make a lane change with absolutely no room for them to do so? Yeah. These people suck SO much.

— RSVP: It’s like a lost art. Why do people struggle, then fail, when it comes to either “yes” or “no”? Oh, and don’t forget “maybe”. Nothing like a cliffhanger on top of those who replied with “no” and show up anyway, or “yes” and don’t come at all. The concept is so lost on some people - no, MOST people.

— Solicitors: I don’t care if it’s a job or a moral duty to come at me with whatever it is you’re selling. Trust me, if I want it, I will figure out when and where to get it myself.

— Pet “friendly” eateries: I love, LOVE animals. Don’t get me wrong. But I live in dog town USA and I am just so over it. So over flying dog hair, smelling their breath, having to step over them laying in the walkway. Yeah, I see your dog is on a leash, but it’s a looooooong leash. Conveniently far away from YOU enjoying your meal. They are allowed at some of the city’s best restaurants here, and it baffles me to no end.

People who lack all self-awareness: From giving me personal space while I check-out at the store to just life in general.

GhostWhoCooksDinner's picture

People who send party invites and whatnot over Fakebook. What, I'm not good enough to call, or even text? If not, I guess I don't really need to be there. I don't even HAVE Fakebook anymore, and I get, "Oh, well, it was on my FB feed. Didn't you see it?" :?

mro's picture

People who don't know a forward slash from a back slash. OK I know it's dumb, but it drives me crazy when someone's reading a URL I'm trying to type and it's "blah blah blah backslash blah blah dot com" and I'm hunting around for the right key.
This is a forward slash /. Or just a slash.
This is a back slash \.

That and people who don't watch out for pedestrians at crosswalks. It's a great problem where I live. Yes, you do have to stop at a red light even if you're turning right. And the pedestrian in the crosswalk still has the right-of-way if the walk sign is illuminated.

Salems Lot's picture

People who post all their information of FB, then when someone asks a followup question he/she gets their head ripped off.

Example
Person posts "I am moving"
Other people ask "Where are you moving to"?
Person responds: "If I wanted you to know I would have told you, I wish people would mind their own F-ing business."

Or
People who post all this negative shit about their partners and their skids then get pissed off when that information gets back to them. Then removes said comment and tells every one to mind their own f-ing business and stop spreading rumors...

Or
That person that loves to jump on everyone's posts and conversations and explain to them how wrong they are....Your political views are wrong, your religious views are wrong, your opinion is wrong.

Thumper's picture

This too ^^^^^ salem's Lot.

And the Tacky Facebook Invitations.............NO I did not see your classy social media invite. :O

One more Pet Peeve...Holy Rollers. You know the people who come knock at your door with bibles and hand out pamphlets. ARE YOU SAVED??? (saved from what?)

Parents who drive there kids from neighborhood to neighborhood with pillow cases begging for candy at Halloween. Our neighborhood is a HOT SPOT for this junk. Many of yours may be too.
Oh the topper is the kids without costumes totting Walmart bags................

LIGHTS OFF THIS YEAR I THINK. Blum 3