You are here

O/T - Need Dog advice.......Please!!

hbell0428's picture

Our family purchased a 6-7 week old puppy from Because You Care about a year ago. She went through "normal" puppy stuff.....Chewing, peeing on carpet and stuff, things we expected. But.........she is one in December and is acting very strange?? :? She will come next to me and pee almost on my feet or go down in her bed (cage) and poop in there; the most recent was she jumped on the couch when we where home and peed on my couch!! Twice!!!!!! These were times after she was just taken out? She get out at least 20 times a day and we walk her and take her to dog park. My DH is furious........
When we tell her to go lay down after the fact or she gets in trouble (we have never ever ever hit or even made it seem like we would) she creeps down and acts like she's abused??????

we just purchased our home a couple years ago and I am a neat freak! I know pets are hard work; but it really is starting to get to me........Suggestions/Help

Doubletakex3's picture

Is she fixed? Animals act really strange when they are in or almost in heat.

hbell0428's picture

Yes she is fixed and we NEVER leave her out of her crate when we are not home; she sleeps in her crate at night; someone is always w/ her during the day......she know's she's not supposed to do it because right after she pees she will sit in her time out corner?? and it's usually right after we take her out?? I am just at a lose........

Thanks for the replies!!

stormabruin's picture

Maybe mention it to your vet & see if they have suggestions. We had a similar issue with one of ours peeing in the house after coming in from outside. It turned out she had a yeast infection that had apparently been going on for awhile & we didn't know & that's what was making her pee a lot.

stormabruin's picture

I agree with Druzzilla. We crate train until around 2 years old. When we start letting them stay out of their crates after that point, we've found that they still opt to go there for a nap or just for some quiet time away with a bone or toy or something.

For the cowering, we have one that does this when we reach out to pet her. We've never hit our dogs, so I was concerned about it with her. I mentioned it to the vet & she said with some it's just a show of submissivness.

You mentioned she cowers when she's in trouble. If you're voice is stern to let her know she was wrong, it's likely she just feels bad she's in trouble.

mama_althea's picture

Please take her to the vet. She could have an infection (urinary tract, bladder, kidney) or sometimes spayed females can lose continence, in which case it often can be treated with inexpensive medication.

The cowering does sound submissive. She knows from your body language and tone of voice something is wrong. Urinating can be submissive also. Your vet can help you with that, as well, if that's the case. They'll want to rule out a medical condition first.

Hugs to your puppy...

hbell0428's picture

Nice........I'll try that!!
I am taking her to the vet for the "maybe" infection; but I wasn't sure about the whole peeing thing; and it's in all of DH'S fav spot!! (inside LOL).....