You are here

OT - Dealing with Someone Who Has Borderline Personality Disorder

sunshinex's picture

This is definitely a bit off topic but I'm wondering if anyone has experience dealing with someone who has borderline personality disorder? And if so, what's the best way to convince them to get help? I know with mental illness, it's up to the person struggling to get help for themselves. I'm aware you can't force someone who won't help themselves. But BDP sufferers don't seem to realize or be willing to accept that they're suffering from a mental illness.

Here's a bit of backstory... My stepdad is amazing. He came into my life when I was a young teenager and was very straight up with me. He actually kicked me out because I was into drugs, partying, etc. and I'm thankful for that now. Looking back, I needed someone who didn't enable me. Fast forward 5 years and we now have a great relationship. I appreciate him a lot - he's helped me in many ways.

But I'm almost 100% positive he suffers from BDP. Example: he called me 2 weeks ago to let me know how happy he is to have me in his life and how much stress i've taken off him (i work for his company), then for the past 3 days, he's been pretty much telling me I'm not doing anything right, he can't trust me to handle things, etc. This is a constant and has been for a couple years. He does this to other employees, as well. (But mostly me, because naturally, BDP suffers take it out on those they love). And he does it to great extremes.

Sometimes the things he says and way he acts is downright mean and cruel. It's getting too difficult for me to handle. Mostly because he's the first father figure (my real dad suffered from mental illness as well) who I've truly looked up to, and when he gets into his episodes, I feel as though I've lost him. He believes everything is the fault of everyone else. I really do care about him and I really enjoy the father/daughter bond we have, but when the episodes occur, it's devastating to me.

I just want to figure out what I can do to convince him that he needs help. Ex-employees have even told him that he needs help for his mental breakdowns, and often times, I think this makes it worse. I don't think he wants to accept his illness and when people point it out, he gets angry. I'm worried about him, his marriage with my mother, and the future of the company he runs/I work for if he doesn't get help.

So... Anyone who has experience with people with BDP, feel free to give any advice you've got!

Thanks!!

Acratopotes's picture

Could it be the start of Alzheimers?

I would not be bothered.... I swear my mother would go through as BDP... cause one day she's nice and the next day she's a cow.... through the years I learned... mummy a cow = angry at daddy for not jumping when she demanded, then she calls me and takes it out on me... now I simply ignore it lol.... oh she never apologize

You just need to get self confidence...if you know you did nothing wrong, then let SF rant and rave and forget about it... you know you are doing things right... why do you feel bad cause he says you can't do anything right... pffff

be like a terrier... barking and biting will never work, rather pee on it and walk away

sunshinex's picture

He isn't that old. He's around 50, and he knows I am capable of running the business in his absence. Clients have told him how much they enjoy working with me and how productive things go when they're working with me as opposed to him/other staff.

It's not just in the workplace either. On my wedding day, which he helped plan a couple months in advance and took place in his backyard because he offered, he decided the night before that he wouldn't be walking down the aisle. As I was getting ready, he yelled at me because he was unhappy I was taking up the bathroom. He goes from being so nice and kind and loving to cruel and mean in a moment's notice and it lasts days at a time.

I'm not sure if it could be dementia but knowing the symptoms of BDP it seems much more likely :/

2Tired4Drama's picture

Is it possible you may be projecting your own father's mental illness on your stepdad?

Diagnosing others can be problematic, because if you convince yourself there is something "wrong" with them mentally, then you begin to look at them solely through that lens you've held up to them. Not saying we are necessarily wrong in doing so (since we can be correct in our assessment)... I'm just saying there can be other reasons for his behavior other than bona fide mental illness.

Acra brings up a case in point - perhaps he has something organically wrong with him. Or maybe he is more self-aware than you think, because it sounds like he is sometimes nasty to people and then follows it up with periods of "praise." To me, he may be a person who is self-aware and when he realizes he hurts others he then tries to fix it by sending them compliments.

I would suggest having a heart-to-heart with your mother and see if there are other strange or troubling behaviors. Perhaps a check-up is in order for your stepdad. Likewise, if other employees are feeling his behavior is unusual or progressively getting worse, then someone in a position of authority should have a sit-down with him.

sunshinex's picture

I don't believe so. My father had PTSD from war, so it was very different from my stepfather. I knew I couldn't count on my dad because of his illness, whereas my stepdad makes me feel like I can count on him and he's the best father in the world, only for an episode to turn everything upside-down because all of the sudden he hates me and i'm the worst person.

My sister was diagnosed with BDP and she exhibits a lot of the same behaviour. One minute she idolizes you and thinks you're the best person in the world, the next she hates you and you've done something wrong. Then she goes into a place of guilt and tries to make up for it, but never admits that she is ill. He does the same things.

I've had a heart-to-heart with my mother, and I really feel for her in the situation. She dealt with my father for 20 years - taking care of him and making excuses for his mental illness. She recognizes my stepdad is struggling with something but I don't think she wants to hear it, because than she'd have to recognize that she's in the same situation again.

He definitely needs a checkup. Most employees are miserable at the company because of his erratic outbursts but nobody has any authority to have a sit-down with him. Right now, my plan is to wait until he's in the stage of loving me and thinking i'm a huge asset to him, then try to discuss the topic of therapy.

sunshinex's picture

Also, there are other strange behaviours, like an immense fear of being alone/abandonment. He once got really, really upset when my mom was going out with me for a couple of hours. He somehow thought he was "last on her list" and it was unfair that she was up and leaving to go out. We literally just went for an hour drive to pick something up. He also refuses to apologize. Even when he knows he is wrong. If you ask him to apologize, he gets very angry and the cycle starts again.

One time he spent an entire day berating me and talking down to me, then at the end of the day when his mood switched (which usually takes a few days, this was an odd situation) he asked me if I wanted to go out for icecream. I told him I did not want to go for icecream until he apologized for the way he treated me all day. He said "fine, let's not go for icecream" and walked away pissed off at me.

I am so tired of trying to analyze his behaviour but if it is BDP, which it seems like it is (my sister has it and the behaviour is eerily similar), then I know he's likely hurting too. And it's not right for him to be hurting, all of us to be hurting, and no one to step in and try to help.

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

Our BM has BPD (diagnosed by a psychologist) and my grandmother had it. You have to remember that it's really hard for them to control it--the part in their brain that dials down emotions is just not there, so no matter what you do, they will always exhibit symptoms. Slight insecurity becomes full blown screaming jealousy, a little happiness with someone means they fall madly in love, a little anger become "I hate you for all eternity"--someone says something offhand and if they care, it suddenly becomes either the best or worst thing they ever heard. Some are aware of it but they still have difficulty controlling it. Think of it like schizophrenia for feelings except there are no medications to help it.

This is one of those mental illnesses that even therapists have a lot of difficulty with because it's hard to mentally separate between them having a "choice" to hurt people and them not being able to control it, since they do have a train of logic that ends up making them make those decisions.

Then in order to cope and control their environment, they manipulate and gaslight because it's the only way they can feel "normal"--so much that they often end up believing they are right because they drive everyone else into a tizzy.

Borderline is one of those mental illnesses that we have not found a good treatment for. I think the closest thing that might help is cognitive behavioral therapy so maybe look into that.

I feel sorry for those who have BPD (Even though it seems like they are doing everything on purpose, but they're actually like a car that has started drifting in the snow--the driver turns the wheel the other way really fast, sending the car into an even greater wobble, in order to fix THAT they swing the wheel again, finally sending the car into a spin--they're trying to fix their environment but keep making the wrong decision.) but for the regular victim of their actions, it's usually better to stay away and ride their waves instead of trying to stop them. You can just prepare yourself that they will be emotionally exaggerated and that their actions have little to do with you and everything to do with their inability to cope.

sunshinex's picture

Thank you. I do feel bad for him because I can imagine it's a really hard emotional rollercoaster for those suffering, too. But it's hard to keep it from wearing on me. Especially in the workplace because I love my job and have so much pride in what I do, and I would like nothing more than to continue doing what I do, but I realize that I may have to leave if I want to stay healthy and in a good mental place.

I'm looking at alternate options for work, which is sad because I feel I've brought a lot to the company, and clients feel I've brought a lot to the company as well. I can't exactly stay away from being a victim in the situation as long as I'm working for him, though. I think upon leaving, the company will struggle. It's been shown time and time again that my position can't be replaced, because it happens to be a position in direct contact with my stepdad and he is harsh on employees to the point that they leave.

I even think there's a class action lawsuit getting started against him for harrassment in the workplace. I believe ex employees who have dealt with his outbursts are planning something and it's too bad that his mental illness is going to take a toll on the company that I care so much about.

sunshinex's picture

Yeah, good point. I would never tell him that I think he has BDP, but he has admitted before that something must be wrong. He has told me he doesn't know why he does the things he does. And he has promised my mom and I that he will get into therapy before. But it never happens.

I think I am going to work on finding another job for now. If I have something else lined up, I can speak openly and honestly about my expectation that he get help or I leave the company without worrying that he will have an outburst and tell me to leave.

ChiefGrownup's picture

Pardon me but don't you mean bi-polar? He sounds pretty straight forward hot and cold. A Borderline will plot and scheme and lie and manipulate and manage to play the victim at every turn. Yours sounds like he swings from one pole to the other in a rather efficient manner and absent all the curlicues and fakeries of a Borderline.

SMforever's picture

In any case, you are taking the right track to move on with another job. You can't change people, why try. It's your mother I feel most sorry for. She is stuck with him. At least you have the choice to walk away.

sunshinex's picture

You are correct about that. It's sad that she's stuck, especially considering she ended things with my father after 20+ years of similar behaviour.

Thumper's picture

A more softer and perhaps effective way would be for a check up with his Primary Care Physician. IF he agrees

Leave it at that with him. When he does schedule an appointment you could call the nurse and tell them your concerns.

IF he becomes a danger to himself and others unfortunately, calling the police may be the only way. He may be placed in a 72hour hold where he will be watched and checked out by psychologists and physicians.

You cant make anyone seek treatment and/or take meds as much as you want to. Are these new symptoms he is presenting? If so, it could be age related such as dementia or gosh forbid that A word.

So sorry.....this is just sad any way you look at it. Doesnt sound like BPD--they could care less how they act and they blame others. You said HE said he doesnt know why he does what he does....NOT bpd. He is taking some ownership.

SugarSpice's picture

there are many resources for bpd families but the one with the disorder needs to get diagnosed. this is one of those personality disorders that dont often admit theres a problem. be aware that npd can also co exist with bpd. that might be the reason for the cruelty.

i wish you the best of luck.