You are here

O/T - Anyone been to the Florida Keys?

christinen's picture

Ok I want to apologize in advance because this is wayyy off topic BUT I have tried posting on other forums and have gotten no responses, so please help me out if you can!

DH and I are planning a wedding anniversary trip to the Florida Keys.

I have read a lot about Key West being a big party area. DH and I are trying to get pregnant so I could (hopefully!) be pregnant by then and I really don't want to be around a bunch of rowdy drunks, especially when I can't drink!

I have been looking at Islamadora and Key Largo, but I read that Key Largo doesn't have a beach so that's out.

Anyone ever been to the Keys and have any recommendations?

We just want something relaxing with not a lot of college students or kids around.. a nice beach.. & things like snorkeling, swimming with dolphins, etc.

christinen's picture

I've read that there's a bridge you can drive across that takes you from Miami into the keys that is supposed to be pretty cool. It overlooks the water and is supposed to be very scenic. So depending on which Key we chose (and it's distance from Miami), we will probably fly into Miami and take the drive. Smile

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

I would fly directly into Key West. The ticket prices are the same and it saves you 3 hours of driving.

christinen's picture

3 hours, yikes. Didn't realize it was that far. Thanks for the heads up!

Actually more like 3.5. Did that once with horrible traffic took almost 5 freaking hours from MIA. I wanted to jump off that bridge.

You can get a flight into Key West. I fly to Tampa and then from Tampa to Key West.

Why would you need a direct flight into the Keys anyway? Who gets a direct flight unless you are going major city to major city?

I go to Key West every fall. I love it there. It is not really a college party area. It is more an "adults with $$$/gay adults with $$$" party area. I'd actually go out on a limb and say it is an over 30 crowd. I have a great time every time we go and I have never had any issues with partiers (but they are there).

No...just Marathon once and Key West. I like to get as close to Cuba as I can. It's beautiful.

Thinking back to fall of 2012, my ticket to Key West was $155 cheaper than to Miami which I found mind boggling.

I have actually seen Florida Keys resort deals on sites like Orbitz. You should check it out. We stay in a condo so I don't know much about hotels, but I know that the there are many, many nice ones. The Waldorf and Hilton resort are very nice.

christinen's picture

I will check that out! Now with Marathon, everything I see online advertises it as a family destination.. are there a bunch of kids there? Obviously there are kids everywhere & I am not anti-kid but I at the same time, I am looking for a relaxing couples vacation.

hismineandours's picture

I've also heard great things about siesta key. It's one of our top picks fir our summer vaca this year.

Journey1982's picture

I have driven down to Key West many times. I like to fly into Ft. Lauderdale and rent a mustang convertible to drive down through all the keys. I find it very nice and beautiful. I usually stay at the Double Tree in Key West, but on occasion I have stay at the La Concha on Duvall St (was more expensive to stay on Duvall St.). The Double Tree, on North Roosevelt St has a shuttle bus to and from Duvall St. so you don't have to worry about drinking and driving. I love going to Malory Square to watch the street performers and to watch the sunset. Sunset at Malory Square is very popular. I love going to Sloppy Joes and Kevin's Irish Bar next to Sloppy Joes.

arjuna79's picture

It's not a bad ride from Ft Lauderdale. I refuse to go in and out of MIA unless we're headed overseas. Islamorada, Marathon both quiet enough. Or have you looked at Sanibel/Captiva up the gulf side?

onthefence2's picture

We are "beach people" and I prefer Destin. The beaches are beautiful, relaxing, and water is SO clear. I've had numerous people tell me the same thing. My chiropractor said he's been to beaches all over and he prefers Destin. It's also not crowded where we stay, which is a strip of hotel/condos/beach houses all owned by the same management. Just a thought.

hismineandours's picture

Where do you stay I destin? We've driven there before when staying in pcb and various spots up and down 30a but never stayed there. Looking for someplace new this year.

Destin is nice but nothing like the Keys IMO, we stay at the Hilton Sandestin. Very nice resort/hotel. If you go in June, the "June Weed" or sea weed or whatever they call it can be very bad in the water. We usually go end of June or 4th of July and it can get very crowded, but very, very fun. Much more family oriented than The Keys.

christinen's picture

Wow that looks amazing Echo but is a little out of our price range! If we were going with a group, it may work though! Smile

jennaspace's picture

My experience (I've been 3x's) was that all the other islands are relatively quiet. Each hotel clerk seems to have "only 1 room left" on the way down to the keys :). We usually just stayed on a quieter island and went to Key West at night. You definitely want to catch at least one sunset in Key West. Find the restaurants that the locals like because they have tons of awesome looking places with crappy food because they figure you're a tourist and they don't worry about the return business (my guess). It's like St. Augustine in this way.

It is a party place on main streets at night but you can certainly avoid it. My boyfriend and I had a very romantic dance at the top of a restaurant roof pretty much by ourselves one night.

I would very much suggest you visit the Everglades if you have time and are a nature lover. There are boardwalks with tons of wild birds, it's just beautiful.

christinen's picture

Thank you all so much for the advice!!

Now I am torn between Key West, Islamorada, and Marathon! The Siesta Key also looks beautiful.

Decisions, decisions!

ctnmom's picture

We took a few years ago a family vaca to Key Largo. So much to do and not such a party place. 3 things that are a must in the keys:1. see the Everglades. 2. Kayaking. 3. eat some conch fritters! Oh and if you do go to the everglades, stop at the "Bob is Here" store- slightly touristy but tons of great stuff. Got a Pineapple shake there to die for, and all kinds of candy/jam etc to take home.

christinen's picture

Thanks! How about a beach in Key Largo? I read that there isn't one but I felt like that might not be correct.

ctnmom's picture

Sorry for the late response. Yes , you'll have to drive to the beach in Key Largo, but hey, it's a key- not too far!

shenanigans's picture

If you are looking for sandy white beaches and beach front resorts, you need to go to Destin, Fort Walton Beach Area. The beaches in the Keys are more crushed coral mixed with sand.

If you go to the Keys, driving from at least Miami is a must. The water and bridges is a must see. Take your time, stop and explore each key along the way. Stop at Islamorda for a lunch of Conch Fritters and Key Lime Pina Coladas. Stop a Bahia Honda State Park, explore the beautiul
beaches, the bridge, and some great off shore snorkeling.

Remember that people in Key West are on Key West time and no one is in hurry. Hotel Offices and staff go home at 10:00 pm and leave you an in case of emergency phone number. It is truly the most laided back place in the US. Make sure to research weather and water temp for the time you will be going. In March, it is warm during the day, but chilly at night. Most people in Key West ride scooters or bikes, so the smaller the rental car the better for parking.

Hotel Orchid Key Inn, beautiful, small, charming. Close enough to Duvall Street and Mallory Square to walk, but not so close that it is noisy. Best Mixologist on the island and free continental breakfast in the AM.

Sunset at Mallory Square is a must, but a wine and sail at sunset with Danger Charters is a must. Very small only 12 people max.

Keys is must do for anyone! Do your research, and have a great vacation!