You are here

Ok so I have finally cracked! FH sending me to a Psychiatrist

MaGoose2010's picture

I don't blog much on this site as I really don't put up with even a third of the bs that most of you do. Yes there's a BM, yes she's nuts, stupid and inadequate to look after SS13, and hence he lives with us 24/7. Her life is going no-where and although SS13 longs to live with her and not with us (probably because I can't replace her in his life..and also because we have rules, manners and norms in our house which are alien to her and her family!)but also because she cannot afford to look after him, as she lives with her loser 'toy-boy'in his mother's house and has a low-paying job.

Nevertheless, my story at this time concerns me and how I am feeling at the moment and also for a long, long time. I have been on a multitude of anti-depressants since my first marriage broke up in the early nineties when my husband left me when I was 4 months pregnant with our son (now 20 yrs old). It was an emotionally and mentally abusive relationship which towards the end became violent when he strangled me in front of our son (then 3 yrs). I survived and then moved away. I met hubby #2 a week after this incident and a year later we got married. He says I forced him to marry me because I needed a father for my son. Truth is I gave him an ultimatum, as I did not believe in living in sin (was quite religious in those days!) and also exH was trying to prove me a bad mother so that he could get custody...I was scared. Marriage #2 went reasonably well until dh#2 started being emotionally unfaithful with our best friend's wife and was caught undressing her at a party (I had gone home with the kids). It all went downhill from there and the last straw was when our neighbour caught him texting his wife while they were making love one night and came across to confront ME about it. I packed up and left the next day..too embarrassed to live in that place any longer. 6 years later we are still not divorced, as he won't give me my share of the accrued estate, he is now bankrupt and has nothing. Our lawyers managed to screw the case up so badly in the courts, that it is going to cost a heap to get it back on track. FH & I met on a cellphone dating service 18 months after I left H #2. We have been together now for 4 years and very happy (despite the skid issues).

My problem is that I just can't find a joy for life. I wake up depressed and tired every morning. I have thoughts of suicide, thoughts of depair on a daily basis and although I love my FH to bits and he is so understanding, I find myself so irritable and snappy around him and the kids. He works 3 jobs, so our time together is very limited and we always long for the kids to go to their other parents for the holidays, so that we can spend time together, but lately, we seem to fight such a lot. I have been on so many anti-depressants since the 90's and have yet to find one that actually works. On top of all this, I think that I am entering the 'change'and my hormones are flying around. FH managed to get me an appointment with a psychiatrist next week, but reminded me that we are not on insurance and it is going to cost quite a bit. I feel so bad, but also feel that if I don't sort this out, I am going to do something I will regret. I have such angry thoughts lately towards SS13 and not unfounded sometimes because he is a prize as*hole but evil thoughts...which are not in my nature! He built a scanty weathervane with twigs and string and dad is raving about it...and I just want to go and kick it over to prove that it is scantily done and deserves more planning and better structure....why do I want to do this? I think I am going insane. I take tabs only for anxiety at the moment and they space me out, but at least they stop me from being too unreasonable and explosive. I feel for my BD11 as she doesn't deserve to have her mom like this. And FH doesn't believe in depression as an illness and thinks that his love and care of me should be enough to heal me. He just doesn't understand what it's like to suffer like this. Years back, my then psychiatrist told me that I would have to stay on anti-depressants for the rest of my life, as I have already had 2 major psychotic experiences and the 3rd would throw me over the edge into an institution. I argued with him that day because I wanted to get off the stupid tablets! He stood his ground. Well since then I have done my own thing, mainly due to lake of funds and also taking other GP's opinions to try other drugs. Stupid, I know.

Sorry...just needed to vent. I don't have close friends, as I was really burnt in the past with allowing 'friends'to get close to me and my relationship.

stormabruin's picture

"And FH doesn't believe in depression as an illness and thinks that his love and care of me should be enough to heal me."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think it's uncommon for people to feel this way. In what I've witnessed, it is a thought primarily among men. I have tried to get DH to talk to his doctor about it, as he fell into a deep depression when his kids went back to BM about 5 years ago. Though he's gotten better, he's not the person he used to be. He insists he's fine. I've mentioned to him that I felt perhaps I suffer from depression, & he seemed insulted...like it's because of him that I suffer. I tried to explain that it's a medical hormonal issue, rather than something that can be cured by being loved enough. You can love & be loved to the end of the world & still suffer from depression.

Please, don't feel guilty about the cost. The outcome can be priceless, & you & your family will all benefit from it. It's the best thing you can do for them & for yourself.

Best of luck to you. ((((Hugs)))))

MaGoose2010's picture

Thanks for those comforting words, Stormabruin. Sometimes I do wonder if love can heal all 'wounds' and maybe I am just not that much in love. But I doubt that, FH and I are so comfy together (always tell each that we should have met 20 years ago!) BUT only within the privacy of our bedroom...the moment we let the kids & skids in to our 'sanctuary' it all seems to get out of control. I get very resentful as I am the babysitter and he is out working, eventhough I do work in the afternoons at our school of music, I always have to drag the kids along with me and put up with their fighting and annoyances!

I just want to feel alive again...to feel the joy of jumping out of bed in the morning with energy & zest for life...ready to tackle anything! I feel like an empty shell of a person...overweight, unfit, old and sad.

Thanks for listening.
MG

stormabruin's picture

I haven't had the history you've had to deal with, however, I can relate to feeling like an "empty shell of a person...overweight, unfit, old and sad". I am 35 years old with no children. In my relationship with DH, I aquired 2, & we were happy. They left 5 years ago, & left both of us feeling empty. Of course, we still have each other & we're still very much in love. I'm thankful for that, but still have a vacancy in my heart & am trying to cope. DH & I are both out of shape & could stand to lose a few pounds. I worry about DH, as his dad had Diabetes & heart disease. He passed at 57. His mom is diabetic, suffers from heart disease, & had a stroke 6 years ago, at 64. DH is an overweight smoker & is convinced he will die early like his dad. I worry that him having that attitude will bring it earlier than if he were more optimistic. We are truly in love & joke often, but I can count, on my hands, the number of times I've heard him genuinely laugh in the last 5 years. It brings tears to my eyes & joy to my heart when I hear it because I know that at that moment, he has let go of his hurt & sadness. But then, of course, it comes back. I feel we both suffer from depression as a cause of the turmoil we have experienced with his kids. Depression can be so ugly.

LizzieA's picture

Please, Ma, go to a doctor! Your symptoms could be hormonal, maybe adrenal exhaustion. You could be anemic. You have been through a lot, as most of us have, and it takes a toll. As does the busy-busy of raising children and working too. I suggest a MD who does alternative health. Sometimes nutritional and/or bio identical hormone therapy can help without drugs!

skylarksms's picture

I agree totally. Sometimes it can be as simple as dehydration that puts you on an emotional roller coaster!

MaGoose2010's picture

Thanks LizzieA but I am so sick of doctors! My GP now has me on a mild contraceptive pill to help with the menopause symptoms and a hypertension tab to help with the daily headaches. I am on so many tabs that I can't remember most of the time when to take them and some have to be taken when I am between getting home from work (7pm) & making supper & getting kids to bed...If I don't take them early enough, then I can't wake up in the morning! Hey I am so tired of all this.

TheOtherMom's picture

I agree with LizzieA!
I am 31 years old and have had the exact same feelings Ma ... mine was a massive hormone imbalance.
I now have the energy to go to the gym every morning at 430am (go to bed at 830pm with skids though!) and that also keeps me level.
But after hormone replacement therapy I had to go on Prozac too so that doesn't jive with LizzieA but I don't care ... I can live now.

PS - My DH thought the same as yours. Love isn't enough though. SELF-LOVE is though - Love yourself enough to get GOOD medical help. And take up YOGA.

rottierunner's picture

You are brave to admit your personal pain.
(Sometimes people don't want to admit that they are seething, sad, and troubled)
You have taken the first step to getting better.

Changing your life is going to be hard, and seem like an uphill battle. but in the end if you have bottomed out the only way to go is up.

I have three suggestions:
1. Start a multi vitamin (if you are already taking a multi vitamin, add the following
Vitamin D, calcium, and L-carnitine)

2. Keep a journal (write something in it everyday)but be sure to note any events that trigger intense feelings

3. Pick a small problem and "fix it" (Choose a problem that you can resolve easily and that will allow you to feel successful and powerful)

Best of luck,

MaGoose2010's picture

Thank you everyone for your advice, hugs and just for listening to me last night. Sorry about the delay in answering but I am in South Africa and had to pack up in the middle of our conversation as FH had come home and wanted to talk.

He keeps saying he is trying to help me but it is taking so long because we have to wait a week for an app with the psychiatrist. I am not impatient, I just want to start living again and feeling good feelings instead of bad feelings all the time.

Today I couldn't get up and FH insisted I stay in bed and he got the kids up for school for me. I just felt so lame and sad. I slept most of the morning and am now getting ready to pick up kids and go to the music school and earn my living.

What a life! I might as well be dead....

Thanks again for all the advice
MG

MaGoose2010's picture

No, I don't teach, my FH teaches piano & keyboard. I administer the school by scheduling students and teachers. Sending out the bills and ensuring all runs smoothly at the school between Monday to Thursday, 3pm to 7pm. This is a venture that FH and I started a year ago, as there was a need in the community for a place where all ages could relax and learn a musical instrument. I am learning the saxophone but it is going quite rough!

stormabruin's picture

Music is a fantastic talent for anyone to learn. I played piano & clarinet in school & DH (bless his incredible heart for listening to my wishes) heard me mention that I'd LOVE to learn how to play the guitar & got me one for Christmas 4 years ago. All of my brothers are self-taught & I just don't know how to begin with it.

My wish, in junior high, was to learn the saxaphone, but I got stuck with the clarinet because we already had one. My choices were that or the trombone. LOL! I do love to hear a saxaphone, though.

I think what you & your FH are doing is wonderful, & I truly hope that it smoothes out for you. Music is good for everyone. Smile

MaGoose2010's picture

Thanks, Stepdown. Thanks for all the advice over the miles & continents! I am just taking one day at a time because I am afraid of what I might do/say next to upset my loved ones around me. I am not a violent person and never will be, but the violent thoughts that go through my mind lately ESPECIALLY aimed towards SS13 are scaring even me! So I will continue on these anti-anxiety tablets and stay 'zombiefied' until my sessions start next week. I have also started letting FH step up and take over alot of the interaction that I am forced to have with SS13 with his chores (or the non-event thereof) and withdrawing alot into the sanctity of my bedroom once I have fed the hungry wolves 3 time a day. Not a life, I know, but I keep thinking that it will all be sorted out soon and I can then 'live' again as I should...hopefully.

I will keep blogging about it. Thanks for caring!
Love
MG

stormabruin's picture

MaGoose, you've been on my mind. Did you make it to your appointment? How'd it go?