You are here

O.K. I need courage here!

Kim M's picture

Easter sunday is approaching.I work weekends and have detached.But Sunday WILL come and I will be forced to interact w/ these Jerry Springer SK on Sunday.They are teens and the adult SD that punched me the second time I met her.I am a bundle of nerves.My survival has been based on detachment,but I will not give them the satisfaction of not being a reality in family events.I am here to stay!or at least for now.How do you handle holidays?

sarahbernheart's picture

if they talk to you reply-closed ended answers.
if they dont then you are not required to say anything.do not put yourself in a position that you are alone with them if at possible
and talk to your DH!! make sure he knows how you feel.

“You will never be on top of the world
if you try to carry it on your shoulders.”

happy's picture

Be civil if they are civil to you, but I would not go out of my way either..

Happy
"live life to its fullest everyday"

Sarah101's picture

I, too, have to waste my Easter in the company of the 5 loser adult skids. I know they would rather I just stayed home (and me too!), but I know my best revenge is to attend the function and act like I am the happiest person in the world.

So let's be totally detached and completely happy! Nothing bugs dysfunctional people more than happy people.

And the Academy Award goes to...ALL OF US!

Dreamer's picture

"Nothing bugs dysfunctional people more than happy people."

That is to funny! and very true! The BM and SKs can't stand if I'm overly happy. Plus it attracts other people to you with they can't stand either, since the world is suppose to revolve around them.

Don't fear the thorns among the Roses, but be greatful for the Roses among the thorns

smoke07's picture

I know all about the holiday stress. My Easter is always like this: we wake up at like 6 in the morning to all get ready to go to chruch because my SD goes to Bible school and has this play she is in (basically the same play every year). Of course it is the chruch my SD's BM family belongs to, so the whole time my DH and I get stared at and pointed at (I am thinking it is because I look so good, I don't know :D). It is really awesome! Then after the play, my SD goes to her BM house to do her easter stuff there, while I want to shoot myself in the foot to leave. After that we get to go home (thank god) and do her Easter stuff at our house. Then I get hear my SD complain because she didn't get what she wanted; like Easter is like Christmas or something! Good times, good times.
My advise to you is just sit there and smile, it makes them wonder....

Elizabeth's picture

Your whole post was just funny. Thanks goodness we have been able to separate out the holiday functions, because my husband and BM can't even stand to be in the same room anymore. We used to do things together (birthdays, school plays, etc.) but it just got too painful. I loved the shoot yourself in the foot so you can leave analogy. That would be less painful, I agree!

smoke07's picture

I wish we could separte holidays. We are lucky on like Christmas because we do Christmas morning at our house and then we drop my SD at her BM's. But there are always stupid church plays and school plays and sport functions. God I hate them!!! And of course my DH always sits near his ex. I think that I have just grown numb to all of it. I just sit there, smile, and think "God I would really like a beer right now!"

frustratedinMA's picture

My dh's ex does not acknowledge Easter so we get that holiday every freakin year.. we never get it just the two of us.. not even when our anniversary fell on Easter..

That said.. smoke07.. last year my sd then 8 informs me that she will be ASKING THE EASTER BUNNY for an iPod or an American Girl Doll.. UMMMMMM.. This is also on Easter eve (if that phrase actually existed) and it was then that I informed her that she must have the Easter Bunny who brings candies and small items CONFUSED with SANTA. That the Easter Bunny does not take requests!

My dh actually felt guilty that night as he read the Easter Bunny letter (because she still went ahead and wrote one).. I told him that there is no reason to feel guilty.. she got what EVERY OTHER intact family's daughter gets for Easter.. some candy, (i think there was a cute litte purse, a jump rope and some stationary)..

This year I informed the family that we are going to Church on Easter.. to this I got the question from sd9.. "What's Church? (insert screwed up face whilest asking!)"

THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT EASTER IS ABOUT!!! ARGGGG.. dont the BM's teach them ANYTHING?

Sorry.. as you all can tell.. I too am not looking forward to Easter!

smoke07's picture

She wrote an Easter List!!! That is bad! I remember when I was little my mom would buy us new tee balls or kites, and candy. She would hide the basket and it would take us like an hour to find it and we would go outside and play all day with our new outdoor toys. My lazy SD doesn't even know what outside looks like! When did Easter become Christmas?? You say they don't know what Easter is all about, but the same goes for Christmas. The Easter bunny is going to have to take out a loan if he is giving everyone iPods!

frustratedinMA's picture

Yeah.. that poor bunny!!!

This year the ss9 is getting a kite $6 and some small action figures that cost $10. SD9 is getting a little chinese jewlery box holder $4 and some earrings in side $10.. and then both are getting candy. That is it.

I am so tired of spending money on the ungrateful that I decided since I now have a nephew (my sister had a baby) that I would make him up a basket.. I am his godmother after all.. So he got 2 picture board books about bunnies, some teething crackers, 2 finger puppets and a stuffed bunny (the stuffed bunny was free.. lol.. CVS.. buy 3 cards get the bunny free.. and he is CUTE!)

I am tired. So.. this Easter they are going to find out what EASTER is truly about.. and are going to church.. which reminds me.. i have to look up the kids service times at ours.

Just know that you are not alone. I used to look forward to the holidays.. now I dread them.

stronggirl's picture

If so and they start in I would make my plate of food and leave the room that they are in, if BF says what are you doing, you let him know that you will not be treated like this in your house..If not in your house, I would not say a word....and smile, this makes them really annoyed....

KEEP SMILING,
SG

ttina's picture

B/c the biomomma decides to split her life b/w this state and another, the 50/50 split gives her every weekend.... plus spring break T-giving, and all school holidays. My bio son also goes to his dad's. DH works retail... he doesn't get but 4 paid holidays a year. He is scheduled to work EVERY weekend. The kids go to school from our house and our house is "home". We just get to do all the work and the "other" parent gets all the fun stuff.
Sorry... didn't mean to hijack your post...

Angel's picture

do NOTHING (EXCEPT CHURCH). My dh invited his three over (without checking with me first----)
I guess he's making dinner & cleaning up. I didn't invite my three this year. Not because I don't love them, but because I am tired.

I plan on eating & relaxing---maybe taking a walk while they are here. I will say hello when they arrive, tell the air-head 23 year old how beautiful she looks. Stick around until they start watching sports & smile & go for my walk. By the time I return they'll be close to finished.

God, give me patience.