You are here

Odd mothers day because of my own family

NobodyMom's picture

My DH and SS17 (together 8 years, not married but consider we are family) make mothers day quite nice for me and show me appreciation so I feel lucky in that respect!

However I feel at times my own family has some weird issues about me and my "step family" situation which led to a very depressing mothers day for me.  I can't seem to snap out of this funk and thought it would be good to get opinions here or see of others experience something similar and how you handle it.

Let me start that my brothers wife was not too nice to my entire extended family in the beginning.  After she had 2 kids she got better and I noticed when she was nasty, my parents accepted it (before grandkids they didn't).  I have no doubt they don't want their acces to grandkids affected.  Sucks but I get it.  

My parents have lots of free time as retirees and so they often see my brother and his family for that reason.  They see us but not nearly as often and I am OK with that for the most part. However we have always gotten together for major holidays/special days as we are all within reasonable driving distance of one another.  

Then Covid-19 happened and we all did some zoom calls and talked about how we would all get together to celebrate missed holidays, birthday, mothers day etc when things were better.  So I thought we were all in the same boat.  Then I learn my mom and dads Easter visit to drop off home goodies (sweet gesture) was a visit from their car at my home, but when at my brothers they sat down in backyard six feet apart and shared time together (I had no idea they were comfortable with that).  I'm happy for my parents but I felt a bit left out but let it go.  

Then on Saturday my mother let it slip my SIL invited them over to "sit six feet apart outside" and do something simple with burgers on the grill.  I was never told about this and not asked to join with my DH and SS17 or even by myself if they want to limit people due to COVID 19.  SIL did not even contact me or even consider me in this day with my own mother as we usually do and I thought we were all spending it apart!  I was extremely hurt and brought to tears by my entire family getting together without me (twice) and not even my brother or parents asking to have me included. Honestly, I feel we are the "expendable" ones since we are a step family and we are the ones that get cut out when it seems like too much trouble for a few extra people (my SIL always insists in hosting at her large home and we all contribute dishes to eat).  I get the COVID-19 concern, but there would have been less than 10 of us outside spread out, and our state is relaxing stay at home rules in just a few days.  To find out my whole family relaxed the rules but excluded me hurt me greatly and I guess I had enough of family exclusion and called my brother and told him Sunday morning because I was still upset.  I told him they hurt me greatly by excluding me on Mothers day and no one told me they were OK with relaxing the rules, that I am not upset they often get together without me, but for special days like this not to exclude me as I am also part of this family and would have like to see them all even from a distance as well.  SIL and my brother are always fighting according to him and I think he just keeps quiet to keep the peace at times.   I told him to have fun and enjoy their day (internally mine was mostly ruined) and not to exclude us from important family functions like that -he could tell I was upset though.   He apologized and felt bad  and thanked me for telling him my feelings about this.   Next thing I found out, SIL canceled the whole thing so even my parents didn't go.  I got more upset as that action felt vindictive and manipulative on her part. Seems I have to just shut up and accept being left out of my own family's functions to keep everyone happy.  I don't begrudge them relaxing rules to get together, I had just been left out of so much over the years that I could not let this go by without speaking up after not seeing each other for the last couple of months and not being included for Mothers day with my own mother and they all seemed so secretive about it.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

OP, you left the job half done as you still need to have an honest conversation with your parents. They are also guilty of exclusion, although I get that they may feel they have to placate their DIL in order to be involved with their son and his kid(s).

The way to win at this is to have open, honest communication with everyone involved. And your brother needs to be more assertive and a leader in his home.

NobodyMom's picture

them.  They refuse to discuss and always change the subject. All they would say is they don't know what SIL was thinking when she organized it. They were more upset that their mothers day with my brothers family was ultimately cancelled than they were with the fact I was excluded from the start.  My SIL has caused lots of drama over the years.  My parents are in their late 70s and seem like they can't be bothered with my hurt feelings.   That really hurts but I know they aren't in the best of health so I guess I have accepted the fact they aren't all that interested in my life since grand kids came on the scene...this change in them started then and grown over the years.   I love them and know they won't be around forever, but our relationship has always been on their terms and they don't seem to have any empathy for me overall.  I know they are disappointed I never gave them grandkids (divorced my ex ended up not having kids do to a difficult marriage I stayed in n too long trying to fix).  They seem just hyper focused on grandkids (who are now teenagers)

Exjuliemccoy's picture

I'm so sorry to hear that. It just stinks that your parents aren't listening to you. Yet I wonder, who do they think will be there for them when they need help? Hmmm. At least your brother understood and apologized.

You aren't asking for too much, And you deserve far better.

NobodyMom's picture

That's the odd part...I am always there when they need me and they know it.  But my brother and wife gave them grandkids which seems to be where their value system lies more than I realized when I was younger.   For example they don't seem to value how I stepped up with my DH kids (he always had full custody) and done more for his kids than their own mother.  They feel bad for the the kids for that (as do I),..but they don't show any concern for the the bad stuff I deal with as a stepparent.   I guess that I should know better by now not to expect much from them...but I feel better with some confirmation that I'm not being unreasonable to expect my own family not to exclude me even during these crazy times.  Thanks for all the honesty.  

holly5692's picture

I'm so sorry. Your post just made me tear up a little. That's awful. I don't have a relationship with my mom so mother's day usually makes me feel a little emotional. Especially when you see everyone else being close with their moms. Not that I want others to feel bad for me or not share their happiness....but it stings a bit just the same.

This whole thing was super sneaky. Your parents' "value system" is whack. They have their priorities mixed up. But you should know--it's them. Not you. Once you're a parent, you're always a parent. That role changes over time, but I can't imagine ever not being really involved in my kids' lives. So even though you're a grown up, you're still the kid and they're still the parents. They're supposed to do better by you.

DPW's picture

I get your feelings on this. I have gone through my own family issues of being left out. In my case, I began making my own plans in advance without them so when I would get the last minute call (usually day before or day of the event), I would tell them I was already busy with plans that I made a while back. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. When family finally made comment that I was always busy, I simply would state that I am a planner and I like my plans solid and I don't wait until the last minute (or as an afterthought, in my case). This has damaged our relationship but at least I have taken control of my life and no longer wait on others to invite me on special days. I don't even wait for a Christmas invite or even a conversation about what everyone is doing for Christmas. I don't wait for them, period. 

NobodyMom's picture

often have plans because I have a rather busy lifestyle even though I don't have kids of my own.  I always tell them just give me a heads up and I will arrange my schedule so I can join them for family stuff. I swear they think I should have no problems with last minute invitations because "kids".    Ironically that seems to be more of a catalyst for them to judge me for not having more free time to spend with my niece and nephew as if I am deliberately avoiding them - my parents think so much should revolve around my brother and his family.  Then I'm sure it trickles down to my brother from my parents attitude.  I do the best I can and spend as much time as possible but it seems like I'm being judged harshly for filling my life with other things that I enjoy.  Everyone here has helped me to see things more clearly and I am grateful.

DPW's picture

"I swear they think I should have no problems with last minute invitations because "kids"."

I am childless by choice and hated my family assuming that I could always be flexible with changes in plans, like I don't have a life. If anything, I could argue that my life was more diverse and full than theirs if we compared schedules. 

Rags's picture

I understand your hurt over this.   SIL, your brother and even  your parents are playing games at your expense.

My brother and even our parents do something similar.  My DW and I are extremely close with my parents. We make an effort to see each other regularly, we travel together fairly often, and make a concerted effort to be a part of each other's lives.  

Regardless of what is planned, if my brother, SIL my niece or my nephews even hint at visiting, mom will cancel anything and everything on the off chance that anyone in my brother's family will show up.  They are all notorious for not following through on their commitments to my side of their family.  They never miss any commitment to my SIL's family though the kids are far closer to my parents than SIL;s parents.

It chaps my ass to no end.  I used to bite my tongue but stopped that crap long ago. Now when it happens I make it very clear to my parents that it is bullshit and my DW and I will not change our plans to be there on the off chance that my brother's family actually shows up. I put the onus on my brother and his family to visit wherever we were planning on being.  That way they make the effort and if they don't show up, as usual, our plans are not impacted though is would still be disappointing.

My dad agrees with me but when it is time to shit or get off of the pot he will always do what he can to make my mom happy.

The only impact that COVID-19 has had on our extended family dynamic is that no one can travel anyway so we all stay in touch regularly by phone.

Invariably when things settle down, the same old shit will resurface.

NobodyMom's picture

Sorry to hear this.  You seem to be handling it well despite the circumstances.  Unfortunately when I speak up to my parents, it only seems to make them act more distant towards me.  

Rags's picture

I understand.  My parents will often wilt when my brother/family pull their usual crap because they know I have no patience or tolerance for it.  

I have always been the one to maintain contact bring everyone together and I finally ran out of steam in chasing my brother and his family to participate.  For years I called and called and called with no effort from him. So... I just stopped.  For years the onus has been on him.  He has stepped up a bit pver the past few years. I still don't bite.  If he calls I enjoy speaking with him.  I love .  But... I don't call him any more.  He owes me a couple of decades of effort before I will make any,  other than welcoming him when he actually calls or shows up.