You are here

Not step related, but need an answer as to whether we should attend this party!

chickadee11's picture

I work at a company of about 100 people that is run by a well-known national tv personality. I've only been there for about 4 months and have yet to really meet the guy. About a month ago I literally ran into him coming around a corner. I was never introduced to him when I started because he was gone and nobody ever got around to introducing me after that so he had no idea who I was. I put out my hand to shake his and told him who I was. Our conversation probably lasted a total of 30 seconds.

Last week we had a department lunch with him so this is the 2nd time "meeting" him. There were about 15 of us there. Somebody there said to him "You've met chickadee haven't you?" He looked at me and obviously didn't remember me. I told him that we ran into each other last month and he thought about it and then said 'Oh yeah". Obviously I am not a memorable person! I wasn't able to talk to him at all at the lunch as I wasn't seated next to him. He extended an invitation to all of us to his house for a Mad Men themed New Year's Eve Party. Sort of an "Oh by the way, I'm having this party".

I went home and told DH just because I thought it was cool he invited us. DH got really excited and said that we HAVE to go! He got online and sent an email to a person he knows who owns a vintage clothing shop to see if she could help us out. I'm like "Whoa slow down." I am really uncomfortable with the idea of going to his house when he probably doesn't even remember my name or, quite honestly, even know that I work there. My husband goes "Well he invited you didn't he?" I say "Well he extended the invitation to everyone, but it's one of those things where people are probably like yeah that's nice that he said we could come, but nobody most likely will". Maybe the ones who have worked there for years and know him on a personal level might show up, but for me it is very weird.

We had our Christmas party on Friday night and I thought that sure that night I'd end up talking to the guy, but I didn't. I had several chances where I could have gone up to him and started the conversation but was too chicken. Ugh! The thing is, the other girl who started the same day as me has had several chances to talk to him. They had the company picnic shortly after I started but I was out of town and couldn't attend. He went up and started talking to her there. At our lunch, she and I both sat down next to each other at the table and he asked HER to come and sit by him even though there was an empty chair on both sides of him, didn't even acknowledge me. Then at the Christmas party, he went up and talked to her, but walked right past my table. It makes me go "Wow the guy doesn't even know me and it seems like he doesn't like me!"

So I have written up a draft of what I'm going to email him. It doesn't sound right:

"In case my name doesn't ring a bell, I'm one of the new people that started back in August. We really haven't had a chance to talk to each other yet other than literally bumping into each other last month and I didn't get a chance to talk with you at the lunch last week or at the Christmas Party, but I wanted to thank you for a wonderful Christmas party! Everything about it was great and my husband and I both had a lot fun.

At the lunch you had extended an invitation to everyone to your house for a Mad Men themed New Year's Eve party. My husband and I were looking to do something for New Year's Eve, but didn't have plans yet and we both absolutely LOVE Mad Men so we thought your party would be a lot of fun. If you have room for us, please let me know. Also let me know what we can bring to add to the festivities!"

I just feel REALLY REALLY weird telling him I'll be coming with my husband. I feel like we are inviting ourselves even though he extended the invitation to everyone at the table. But to my knowledge he hasn't extended an invitation to the rest of the departments and like I said it was just an "oh by the way" remark.

Is there a better way for me to address him about this?

SMof2Girls's picture

If he's casually inviting 15 people at lunch to a party that he's obviously spent some time/effort putting together, I doubt he's managing his guest list that closely.

If you want to go, go. If you don't, don't. I certainly would not email him. Like tog said, maybe ask around and see if you know anyone else who's going.

amber3902's picture

If he doesn't even remember meeting you, I doubt he would pay attention to an email you send him.

You ARE inviting yourself to his party, and that's in such poor taste. Sorry, don't mean to be harsh, but I agree with everyone else that you sound star struck. Why would you want to go to the party of someone who walks right by and ignores you?

I would not send the email, you'll sound desperate.

chickadee11's picture

No I am not inviting myself to his party, he invited EVERYONE! Yes it upsets me that he doesn't know me, but after only seeing me on two separate occasions when he sees thousands of people every year who he doesn't know I guess I shouldn't take offense to it. He probably remembers the other girl who started the same day I did because she's European whereas everyone else here is American so she probably sticks out rather well.

amber3902's picture

In your OP, you made the invitation from him seem pretty vague.

He probably remembers the other girl because he's attracted to her, and yes, you shouldn't take offense to that at all. Some guys just zone in on a particular girl they find attractive and don't pay attention to anything else.

Me, personally, I wouldn't go to the party of someone who can't even remember that they met me, twice.

chickadee11's picture

Okay how about this for a response :

At the lunch you had extended an invitation to everyone to your house for a Mad Men themed New Year's Eve party. My husband and I were looking to do something for New Year's Eve, but didn't have plans yet. We both absolutely LOVE Mad Men so we thought your party would be a lot of fun. I still haven’t really had a chance to talk to you other than briefly speaking to you when I ran into you at the TC last month and then just a bit at the lunch so hopefully you can put a face to my name.

If you have room for us, please let me know. Also let me know what we can bring to add to the festivities!

amber3902's picture

You keep saying, "if you have room for us" that makes it sound like he didn't invite you. He wouldn't have invited you if he didn't have room for you, LOL. Smile

Just say:

"Thanks for the invite to your house for a Mad Men themed New Year's Eve party. My husband and I were looking to do something for New Year's Eve, and it sounds like a lot of fun.

Please let me know what we can bring to add to the festivities!"

Hope you have a good time! Smile

ETA - I think Tog's response below is an even better RSVP.

chickadee11's picture

You are all saying NOT to email him, but he TOLD us to email him and let him know if we were coming so he could have an idea as to how many people will be there. So I'll have to email him something but just saying 'Put us down for 2 people" seems rather weird if he won't even really know who I am.

And yes I think it would be a great party to go to because I'm sure he has a beautiful house and will have some fabulous food and drink!

amber3902's picture

Everyone said don't email him, because it sounded like you were going to send an unsolicited email. You didn't say that he ASKED for people to email him a RSVP.

chickadee11's picture

The European girl said she'd love to go but they already have plans. I asked another woman's husband who was at the party if they were going and he said no. So so far nobody else I know of is going. You would think he would just send out a general email to the company to invite everyone because who knows if he told the same thing to other departments.

jumanji's picture

If no one you'e asked is going.... don't go. I wouldn't email him. honestly? I wouldn't go to a NYE party my boss was throwing - too much risk for coming off foolish.

zerostepdrama's picture

I wouldnt go. No matter how cool it may be to see some fancy house and eat some good food and drink. He doesn't remember you. Doesn't seem to care to remember you. No offense. You are just someone who works for him.

Outside of him being famous and probably throwing a good party- would you want to go?

Personally I would not want to be around someone who acts like I dont even exist. And to top it off that no one else is going......

I'd rather ring in my New Year with people who are kind and love and care about me.

chickadee11's picture

I emailed him and within 10 minutes got the following reply from him:

"Yes, please come and be sure to corner me so I’m sure to get to know you. It’ll be great to have you and your husband there. Any time after 7pm".

All that worry for nothing!