You are here

not to post photos of your child on social media sites?

katalinakat's picture

I've just recently started hanging out with new mommies and their toddlers. They post photos of their children on Facebook all the time. Today, one of them took a photo of my child playing with her child. It ended up on Facebook but thankfully it was just the back of my child's head. Tomorrow I will be attending another gathering with them and their children. I know for a fact that they will be taking photos. I want to tell them I do not want photos of my child posted online but I don't know how to avoid being awkward and rude. Are there any ideas on how to express this to them?

I wish parents would not assume it's ok just to post photos of other people's children online just because they do it.

moeilijk's picture

I rarely post photos of my own kid on social media. Sometimes my kid is part of a photo someone else posts. I haven't minded, because there's no way to identify the kid. So it's like posting those photos that come with a frame... still anonymous in my mind.

However, I think you absolutely must say something. It will be awkward, but not rude.

I'm not sure what kind of events you're talking about. Sometimes I do things as part of a fairly small group. Like one time a bunch of moms I know arranged a trip to the Aquarium. In that situation, I'd go up to anyone I saw holding a camera or aiming a phone and say to them, "That kid over there is mine. My partner and I don't want pictures of her/him appearing on social media. Can you keep that in mind and try to keep him out of your photos?"

Sometimes I do things as part of a larger group. Like a baby-music concert. In that case, I'd be sure to arrive a bit early and tell the leader that I don't want anyone taking pictures of my kid, and ask if they want to address it or make space for me to say something before the event begins.

And finally, if I see a pic of my kid on social media, I'd contact the person who posted it and explain that I don't want pics of my kid online and for them to crop my kid out or remove the picture. I'm sure they will, but if they don't, just contact FB admin or whatnot and advise that you've asked for them to remove images of your child from their FB page but it's still up.

And most people have no idea you wouldn't enjoy seeing pics of your kid online. They think they are doing something nice for you. So start out with that positive attitude when you let them know that you do things differently.

I think starting out irritated will just get you frustrated as you handle this... and then you can accidentally cross into rude more easily!

katalinakat's picture

I attend small mom gatherings in which we go to the park, zoo, do a craft, etc. The gathering I am attending tomorrow is a small easter hunt at one of the mom's home. It's a small family event around 4 moms.
I just thought it'd be awkward considering one of them already posted a photo of my son online. However, they can already assume I'm a private individual considering they have seen I have no photos on Facebook or status updates. I just have a Facebook account for the sake of sending private messages or viewing events of these "mom groups" I attend. It's pretty much a blank account.
I usually don't mind if there's some sort of anonymity in the photos... but I still try to avoid any photos of my son online, period. The crappy thing is that the ladies usually "tag" me thinking they're doing me a favor.
Most of my friends and family are aware of this privacy. I've managed so far but I still haven't really found a comfortable way of expressing this when I see people taking photos of my son.
I almost am avoiding attending this small party but I know that's not the solution. So I will have to sit around and plan in my mind when and how I will address it when I show up at the home.
I appreciate your advice and will definitely keep it in mind that she probably thought she was doing me a favor... but I still wish it could be an obvious etiquette to confirm privacy preferences when photographing other people's children lol.

moeilijk's picture

"Whatever you say and however you go about it, the moms are going to act like there is something wrong with you or you think your kid is better than theirs or they'll get offended or something just as asinine. They'll tell you "Oh c'monnnn, it won't hurt" and some of everything to talk you into it. Some of them will do it anyway against your expressed wishes."

Sue, I think you're just wrong here.

I'm sorry you had some bad experiences, but honestly, as a basically decent human being, I have no problem respect someone else's wishes. And I don't think I'm the ONLY basically decent human being out there.

That being said, in this day and age, people share photos of their lives online. If you are part of their lives, you might in be in that photo. So be mature enough to express your wishes. If you were a vegetarian, you'd mention it when someone invites you for a meal, right? It's just common politeness to let people know about you.

And it's ridiculous to start off angry at people who are behaving absolutely normally. Yes, I get it, you have a different idea of normal. But communication means understanding each other. You want to hang with these moms - then talk to them and they will respect your differences. You don't want to hang with them - go all super-bitch about how rude they are and how dare they and so on.

hatemyhusband's picture

I would respect some ones wishes of course. People do share their lives online commonly, not everyone. As long as you're reasonable. There was a woman I thought of as "wierd " grandma in my sons class. She didn't want her grand daughter photographed, fine, whatever. But little kids do often stand with in inches of each other. Myself and others may want to take a spontaneous picture of our kid doing some thing cute or new. The worst was when the Easter bunny came to visit the class.of course most of the kids go running and crowding around the Easter bunny, her grand daughter included. Of course, most moms are snapping pictures. "Wierd" grandma is saying repeatedly please please no pictures of (her grandkids name). Then of course everyone is reassuring her that her little precious will be cropped out. And she's going on and on about on line dangers. Saying "I know you're all going to put this on Facebook."

My4kidsmom's picture

I see both sides. I have a BS who hates having his picture taken but it's difficult at family gatherings/events to NOT get him in the picture! It's kind of unfair that I have to miss getting family photos of things I want to capture because one person is camera shy. I don't purposfully take his picture and I no longer tag h on them but I'm not going to stop documenting my family events because he is there. It's hard to get a candid shot if you constantly have to rearrange people too so only the right ones are in the shot. I feel like compromises should be made as I did but he knows if it's a family event, moms got get camera out.

katalinakat's picture

I have no problem removing my child from the area pictures are being taken. But children tend to hang around each other so I just wanted to alert the ladies to avoid snapping him in the camera's view if it's possible. It was just a matter of consideration on their part.
A couple of the ladies are surprisingly becoming good friends of mine because we live very close to eachother and have a really good connection. It doesn't seem like they mean harm and will probably respect my wishes. Once I tell them this concern, if they choose to disregard it, I will just not hang out with them anymore. It'll just mean that they obviously don't respect my feelings.

I have various reasons why I choose not to display my son's photos online, especially on social media. Obviously as imaSmom said, I don't need an explanation why. On a complete different yet similar subject, there are people (such as my own mother) who live in the same city as me but never comes visit her grandson (my son) because she's too busy catering to her new boyfriend or baby-ing my adult siblings. Yet she asks for photos of my son participating in holiday events to somehow fulfill the idea that she cares for her grandson. She lives in this make-believe world where she thinks she's a great grandma but never involves herself in my son's life unless it's convenient to her or I give her money. Today for instance, she starts asking for photos of my son's Easter, even though she could easily make the drive to spend time with him and see for herself. My mom is 45 years old so she's not an old lady- she still hitting the nightclubs and having fun.

Aside from safety, I think people can be just so hypocritical on social media (especially when you add people that aren't really close friends or family.) They love the convenience of seeing photos of your child, yet they never bother to see you in person (and I'm referring more to people who live in the same town.) People who never came to see you in the hospital, ever brought a toy to your child on their birthday, or see you for holidays. And believe me, people talk and gossip. For instance, there's one acquaintance from high school who recently had a baby a couple years ago. Everyone I run into (who went to the same high school) loves to talk about how ugly the baby is and/or how the dad is ugly and/or where did the dad come from (cause it looks like it was just a one-night stand gone wrong).... etc. Obviously this lady doesn't know people from our high school talk crap about her and get a kick from the photos she posts of her daughter.
I don't have anything on my family that people would gossip, but why would I give them the convenience to just look at photos how we are doing? The people who care for us don't need social media to see how we're doing. They will call or visit us- those are real friends/family I surround myself with.

SweetMom's picture

I Dont like pictures of myself taken from our friends. Most of my h friends wifes are vendictive and will take pictures of problem areas and make sure they blast it. I simply ask them to remove any pictures of me when it's private one on one conversation. When they try to get a group photo I simply say no thanks and remove myself. If they take offense them f them, you don't need that drama. Now as far as my step kid. The mom takes pictures of her kids and blasts them all together so if h wants a photo we take one but if I don't like the way I look I make sure it gets deleted