You are here

No soap?!

iqrt's picture

SD5's hair is regularly pretty nasty when she comes over. I figured maybe it was because her mom doesn't have her take a bath on a daily basis.

So today I was brushing out her hair telling her she needs a bath today, and she said, "Okay, but you have to wash my hair!" I made some comments about how she's getting old enough to wash her own hair, and asked who washes her hair at her mom's house. "Nobody."

What do you mean "Nobody?" Surely somebody washes this kid! She said her mom doesn't have her wash her hair or her body at their house, and all she does is play with her bath time toys in the water.

I didn't really know what to say, so I just said "Okay, well.. at our house, we use soap.. and shampoo."

Gross. This means that she only bathes with soap every other weekend. I want to throw up a little just thinking about it.

knucklehead's picture

Remember, she's five, so the story may not be entirely accurate. Smile

Does she have long hair? Or is it shorter and easier to manage?

They make kid stuff that is 3 in 1, soap, shampoo, and conditioner. She could use that and cover all her bases. Smile

iqrt's picture

I certainly hope it's not accurate!

Her hair isn't too long somewhere between chin & shoulder length. It is pretty easy to manage for the most part. It gets tangled quite a bit, but nothing that we can't get out.

I'm half tempted to send her home with a bottle of the 3 in 1 stuff. But that would probably piss off BM. Maybe she'd get the hint, though?

Wishful thinking, I know.

iqrt's picture

I'm not really interested in calling CPS over it. We've played the CPS game when BM coached SD5 into saying that daddy touches her, and I'm not into doing that again.

Her hair is kind of gross when she comes over, but I don't think it is to her emotional/physical distress at this point. So she'll just get a bath (WITH SOAP!!!) when she comes over, and maybe we'll make a point to get her a bath on the evening visitations too. You know, so she can bathe with soap on a weekly basis.

my.kids.mom's picture

This is not a huge issue. IMO, people use WAY too much soap these days. How dirty does a 5 yr old even get, really? Calling CPS over this is a bit much.

iqrt's picture

It's not worth calling CPS over. Again, I don't think it is to the point where she is emotionally or physically damaged from it.

But water doesn't clean everything. I don't think washing kids with soap on a daily, or even every other day basis is a bad thing.

As far as how dirty a 5yo gets, well, it depends on if you have let them outside or given them any sort of food. Fortunately she hasn't hit her stinky teen years yet. I just hope she learns to wash herself before then.

unbelieveable's picture

Who cares if it pisses BM off. The kid will think it's cool...our BM works at a dentists office but her kids mouths are FULL of cavities- fillings, have had teeth pulled. I bet they won't have teeth to put braces on. I'll brag for a minute...I'm 28 and have yet to get my first cavity...these kids mouths are repulsive! One time I was so pissed off after they told me they never brush their teeth because "they don't have time and they constantly bring big bags of lollipops and cans of soda to the house that I went to the store- bought them spin brushes with little bags and their own toothpastes- and sent it alllll home! Made them their own little kits! I love that I spent my money to do this yet- their own mom of the year can't bring shit home for free?? I'd fire her if I were the dentist there! Lol