You are here

New Step-mom needs help re:SD and BM

stepsmother's picture

My husband and I got married last summer. We live in another state from his ex and his daughters. We are having major issues with his ex and middle daughter(11yrs) His ex alienates his daughters from him and me. It doesn't really work on his 7 year old daughter who loves me no matter what her mom says. But the 11 yr old has been brain washed to think that it is all my fault they broke up, even though we didn't start talking until after she kicked him out and they had lived apart for months. BM lets SD disrespect her dad on the phone and has made her feel like my daughters are replacing her and I am taking her dad away from her. When they are up here she seems like she likes me ok. She asked me to braid her hair and wanted to go to the store with me and my daughter even though her dad stayed home. But now the last time we were supposed to fly down there for a weekend visit she begged him not to bring me and said she wants to spend time with him alone. He offered to take her out to lunch alone or something to have time together, but she wants the whole weekend alone. I went down anyway because it is not her choice whether I fly down with him.(my daughters usually stay with their dad at home when we go down there) Now she did the same thing the other night about our trip coming up next month. I'm really hurt over this. He wants me to go with him because he has nobody down there, no family or friends outside of the girls, he feels like he's in the vipers den without me. Also last time we went down he wanted to spread his dads ashes so wanted me there, and this time he only gets to see the girls 2 days and the other 2 days is for a court hearing with the BM. He obviously wants me there for that! We don't know what to do. SD keeps crying and begging him not to bring me! He doesn't want her to resent me for coming, but we think she is manipulating it partly because her mom doesn't want me to come down there. When she is up here she is nice to me, and as soon as she is around her mom again she is rude to her dad half the time and doesn't want to share him with me. We didn't think we should give her her way and me not go, because we have other reasons for me going, and I'm his wife, I should be able to go with my husband out of state! Do you all think we are wrong to not have him go down there to visit them alone? What should he tell her when she tries to make him promise he will come alone next time? he doesn't want to fly down there without me. Please help..

stepsmother's picture

I did not think of her turning into the mini wife... that would be a nightmare! I don't mind him having some daddy daughter time, my girls love my husband and still like time alone with me sometimes for girl talk, but a whole weekend away from home is another story!

Disneyfan's picture

Really?

That has not been my experience. My sister and BIL must be the exception to the rule. They have 4 kids 9, 10, 16 (17 next week) and 18, they always have time alone time, mom and the girls, dad and the boys.... That is the norm with all families I know. The kids don't request the time, it just happens naturally.

Disneyfan's picture

As a matter if fact they have spent entire weekends alone with their kids. :? BIL and the boys have gone skiing without my sister and the girls. One year they went to the All Star game and spent the weekend going to various events. They left on a Friday and returned Monday afternoon.

My sister and the girls have spent a few weekends away doing dance, girl scout....stuff without the boys and their dad.

One of my girlfriend's husband hates to fly and is a workaholic. Every year she takes a vacation(7-10 days) alone with their 3 kids.

WTF...REALLY's picture

^^^^^^ exactly how I run my household. And exactly how I feel about my kids. ^^^^^^^^^^^

Disneyfan's picture

Lady, wait until your little one is old to enough to be involved in various activities. LOL

If the kid is in scouts and they troop goes on a weekend camp out,one parent will go. If hunting is dad's thing, but mom hates it, then yeah dad and the kids may spend the weekend hunting.

In the situation at hand, I just figured both kids would be included. :?

still learning's picture

Absolutely disagree HRNYC, most kids in "intact" homes do not get an entire weekend of alone time with one parent. It would be unrealistic for a girl to tell dad that she wants to spend the entire weekend alone with him but not mom. Likewise, it's unreasonable to ask dad to spend the whole weekend alone with her and leave his wife behind. A child should not be given the power to dictate their parents schedule or who they hang out with. OP is part of the family now and sd can learn to blend or become an entitled victimized poor me brat child of divorce.

WTF...REALLY's picture

The difference here is the step daughter is crying to her dad, and demanding it. This is way too much power for a kid to have. If my kid acted like that, they would certainly not get their way. In fact they would get the opposite. Everybody hanging out altogether on the couch all damn day long watching TV or something. Immersed in the family. LOL

The dad is offering to do alone things with the girl, but he wants his wife to come with them for the four days. And he'll only see his daughter for two of those days . No way would I give into a demand like that from a child. Hell no. And I completely love my kids and I think both of them are going to rule the world. Smile

Disneyfan's picture

Do you spend time alone with your kids or is husband included in everything? What about your husband and your bios? Do they do things without you?

The kid is being a brat, but there's nothing wrong with her wanting to spend time with just her dad and sister.

I don't believe the kid should be allowed to run the show. But the kid's feelings are valid.

Dad should check the kid she disrespects him. Allowing that behavior is on him not mom.

momjeans's picture

No, you're not wrong.

I've been through this and agree it's a common behavior from a BM.

Shortly after DH and I moved into together, BM would often call and put an extremely upset, balling her eyes out, SK on the phone. Of all things, it was over co-sleeping. It was super obvious that BM was instigating it too.

Be thankful that your DH isn't falling for it and remains united with you as his wife, this far. I'd say, let him spend a good part of a day with his child, but by no means stay home while he flys out there alone.

Rags's picture

Time to bare some BM ass and give SD-11 clarity with the absolute and total facts of BM's behaviors, the CO, all divorce records, etc, etc, etc.... if this little girl wants to act like a big girl she can be handed big girl status on a shit covered plate. Facts, facts, and more facts. And if DH so much as twitches in response to demands from an 11yo... smack him in the back of the head, change the locks while he is visiting his toxic crotch dropping, and file for divorce. He has one choice and one choice only IMHO.

"Be quiet and listen up kid. SM is my wife, she will be with me whenever and where ever she and I choose, and you nor anyone else will have shit for anyting to say about it so.... get your ass on the plane and visit or I will put your mother in prison for kidnapping my daughter and violating the Court Order!!! Don't make me come get you and do not make the mistake of testing me again on this. You will regret it. Trust me. Love yad kid. Kisses......" }:) Blum 3

IMHO of course.

I have no patience for this crap now or ever.

Bring the pain, play the facts.... put BM in a shit storm of legal trouble for her PAS contempt of the CO crap and jerk a knot in that kid's tail so tight she won't crap until she ages out from under the CO. lather, rinse, repeat.

Snowflake's picture

I really think in your situation, it is only up to what is most comfortable for you and your dh. That is what matters.

I have an adult son from my previous marriage, whenever we go to visit him, we usually all go and eat a meal, then I will spend time with my kid. Because I want to. My dh usually takes care of our bios by either taking them out to new places or staying at the hotel. I personally, would be freakin angry as sh*t if he ever had an issue with me spending time with my kid. I would be beyond angry that he couldn't give me a few measly hours to spend time with my kid.

Our bios are half siblings to my kid, and even they understand that I want to spend time with their brother.

In your case, it really is up to what your dh wants. If he wants to spend time getting to know and spend time with his kid, then he should. If you don't let him even though he wants to, then taut is on you and you are causing your own marital problems, not bm or sd. A kid is always going to want to spend time with their parent and not someone that they really don't know. I don't really think it manipulation on the part of the kid. Although it may be with the bm.

And I will say that in a divorce situation it is impossible on limited time to spend alone time with on kid without the other. In that case, your due needs to be the parent and tell the kid how the arrangements will go.

Willow2010's picture

This is what your DH should say to SD...IMHO.

"SD....stepsmother is my wife, and you cannot tell her where she can or cannot go. She belongs with me. But I do realize we need some "us" time. Me, you and your sister..... Stepsmother and I will be there for two days. One day, I will take you and your sister out and we can spend the whole day together. Then the next day, we will hang out together again, but this time stepsmother will be with us."

Then during the time he is with them, he needs to lay down the facts. He did NOT leave BM for her. They can not demand that you are left home. That he love them and misses them.

stepsmother's picture

Thanks for all the input everyone! There were a lot of questions people had about our situation, I will try to answer for you. I am new to this site and not familiar with all the abbreviations- What in the world is an OP? LOL I gather it's me? Not sure what it stands for?

Ok, so my husband and I have been together for a couple years. the BM stopped me from being around the kids until the final hearing when the judge nailed her for putting that stipulation on my husbands visits. She wouldn't let him take them for visits if I was present which was not in the judges temporary orders so he said it was her fault that they hadn't gotten to know me, which she complained about. Since then they have been visiting with both of us there or them coming up here for over a year. We see them every couple of months or so.

There is no question of the BM manipulating and alienating the girls from us. It is really obvious. They repeat her exact words to him. BM has told him over the phone when he calls that he is a horrible father who doesn't love his kids and isn't a part of their lives when the kids are sitting right next to her. She has lied in court accusing him of all kinds of crap. She was financially and emotionally abusive during their marriage and always threatened him to take his kids away from him if he ever left. All she ever cared about was money, he was her cash machine. And she has tried to make it stay that way.

The reason the kids and us live in separate states is because BM lost their house up here when they were still married, by not paying the mortgage for 2 years! All the kids were born up here, they lived their whole lives up here until 4 or 5 years ago when she lost the house, and both of their families live here. He is a merchant mariner who spends half the time working out at sea. he had no idea she wasn't paying the bills and the mortgage until he got a call out in the middle of the ocean that they were being evicted. She lied and told him it was a mistake, but he found out she just stopped making the payments.. hid bills in drawers, no mistakes. He never got to go back to his home again, she left his camping gear and his tools, his mountain bike, only took his clothes. She decided to pick out a house In AZ because it was better for her daughter's pageants because that is what she spend all their money on. She cashed out all his retirement to put down on a house down there for their family. They separated and he moved out 3 years ago, He moved back here when he filed for divorce 2 years ago, because his whole family lives here, and his best friend etc. This is home. (He only wanted to spread part of his dad's ashes at the grand canyon cause his dad loved it there, not to be by BM! hell no!)

The kids are used to spending time without him around because he is a merchant mariner, he is at sea for a couple months at a time and has had this job their whole lives. He sees them every time he is off the boat for anywhere from a weekend to 2 weeks. Yes I spend time alone with my girls since he is gone at work half the time. When he is home I spend very little alone time with my girls besides a talk if they need it or ride home from school etc. They understand. I dont' have a problem with him spending alone time with his daughter or daughters, just don't think SD11 should dictate that I can't come down for a whole weekend. It is definitely instigate by BM since she started it at the beginning not letting me be around them saying that he should only focus on them not me. He doesn't focus on me when we are with them, we both focus on the kids. and yes SD7 loves me and loves spending time with me. To be clear my husband WANTS me to go with him on visit. He hates going down there alone because of the hatred that is ex and her parents who live there treat him with partly. We don't have marital issues as someone said, we are a united force for real, we are best friends and each other's support. He wants us to spend time with his girls together as much as possible. He wants them to know me better too.

Hope this helps background info!! And we are going down for court because she is refusing to do anything the judge ordered her to. He pays her support every month and she won't pay him his equity out of the house or pay any other bills she was ordered to pay. Meanwhile we are going broke paying for all these trips back and forth for court and visits because we pay 100% since he is the one who moved, even though almost their whole marriage was spent up here! He is being penalized and made to look like the bad guy for moving back home.

LikeMinded's picture

OP means original poster, so yes, that's you Smile

So we know what SD11 wants and what your husband wants and even what BM wants...

What I think the focus of your post should bei is what do you want?

This girl is never going to be nice to you. SDs have a hard time with SMs (someone posted a great study about this, I wish they'd post it again!). Also, BM seems to be a drama starting, irresponsible loser... so you know exactly what this SD is going to be like, and where it comes from. These people are never going to change.

Right now, you are setting a precident. By going with DH you are agreeing to doing this for years... just going over there so that SD and BM can make you feel bad.

I agree that SD11 should not be calling the shots, but neither should DH as far as you are concerned. You are so lucky your hubby's baggage is in another state. But he's a grown man... perhaps he should be taking care of his own baggage? I can guarantee you're going to come to the point where you dread these excursions.

Do what makes you happy.

LikeMinded's picture

Here's the article, originally posted by Redcartoon

-------------

When there is a loyalty bind, nothing's worse than stepmom bending over backwards to win the kids over. Drs. Larry Ganong and Marilyn Coleman found that such stepchildren and adult stepchildren are especially rejecting of a stepmother they find warm and appealing, as she elicits tremendously conflicted feelings.

Study of families who divorced and remarried, preteen and teen girls especially described the stepparent as an interloper in their world and an obstacle to intimacy with dad. A stepmother may encounter particularly fierce resistance from a teen girl, both because she is close to her father, and because teen girls tend to model the feelings and attitudes of their mothers.

------------

There is controversial research by E. Mavis Hetherington that states if a brand new stepmother enters a family with stepdaughters ages 12 to 17, the divorce rates shoots up to 99%. This research does not include families in which the stepmother entered the family when the children are young.

----------------

It's hardest for stepmothers. The longitudinal studies of stepfamily life by psychologists James Bray and Mavis Hetherington and sociologist Constance Ahrons show that kids of all ages resent getting a stepmother more than getting a stepfather, and that they resent her for longer. In Hetherington's study, less than 20% of adult stepchildren said they felt close to their stepmothers. And while more than half of adult stepkids told Ahrons they were happy about mom remarrying, less than 30% were happy that daddy had. Finally, the longitudinal studies and interviews I did for my own book suggest that you don't have to be a "homewrecker" to be resented: regardless of how the previous union ended, a stepmother is likely to be the lightning rod for his kids' unhappiness and anger that their parents broke up.

-----------

What makes it harder for a stepchild to accept a stepmother? What builds a stepchild's resentment of "dad's new wife"? If you think it's her own wickedness of just plain lack of trying, guess again. It may have more to do with the children's mother than anything the stepmother is doing or not doing. According to researchers including Mavis Hetherington and Constance Ahrons, after a divorce women experience more resentment and anger, and experience it for longer, than do men, who are more likely to nurture fantasies of reconciliation and work for "smooth sailing" with an ex spouse. Based on her 30-year Virginia Longitudinal Study of life post-divorce, Hetherington concludes that stepmothers are frequently singled out for very bad treatment indeed by stepchildren who pick up on their mother's anger and resentment and become her proxy in their father's household. As more than one adult stepchild told me, "My mom wouldn't like it if my stepmom and I were close." Often, a stepchild who "hates" stepmom feels that in doing so she is expressing solidarity with her mother. This is why they were so "offended" that you stated I treated you better than anyone else IMO. If mom would explicitly give her permission to like her stepmother, and let her know that being nasty to stepmom is not an option, the behavior, and the resentment it stems from, would likely vanish.

Girls, young women, and adult women in particular are likely to model their mother's feelings and behaviors and subscribe to her beliefs regarding her divorce from their father. This fact, plus the fact of an ex-wife's resentment of her husband repartnering, often fuels the fire of a stepdaughter's hostility toward her stepmother.

stepsmother's picture

That is a really interesting article indeed. I do think SD11 feels guilty if she likes me. SD7 doesn't have a problem with it probably because of her age. she was only 5 when she first met me and said right away that she knew I would be nice. Smile I don't feel that I bend over backwards for them to like me. I have 3 daughters of my own (10,15,and 21) So I know a thing or two about raising girls, I just am a genuine person who cares about others feelings, unlike BM. I just don't like the way BM uses husbands girls as tools in her game. They are people and this can have lasting affects on their lives. BM is nice to my face so I'm wondering if I can use that to my advantage and get her to give permission for SD11 to like me without feeling guilty.

It is good to note too that SD11 was the first one I met, she was the first to know her dad had decided to date me and she was ecstatic! Literally she hugged me tight and was so excited to meet me. She even said that she hoped her dad married me.. yes, that soon! And she just wanted her dad to be happy she really liked me. We both were there and he told her that he was going to move to their previous home state like he had told her he wanted to for months, but that we were going to make it so she could visit and spend time with him without her mom dictating everything like she did down there.

When he lived down there BM wouldn't allow the girls to spend the night with their dad, only let him see them when she wanted him to pick them up from school or take them to lessons. Wouldn't even let him use one of the 2 cars he was paying for and his name was on loan and registration unless he was driving the girls somewhere! He had to walk over from the house he was renting a room in to his old house and pick up the car and girls and then drop it off and walk back home. SD11 was so happy about the thought of it all changing she had tears in her eyes.

See, her mom used to yell at her and blame her for everything and tell her she was just like her dad. She even told me this on that first meeting. She was the only one who knew her dad had started dating because we knew the s*** would hit the fan if BM found out. Which it did a couple months later... And then SD11 I think felt guilty for meeting me, for liking me, for supporting her dad. Because BM started calling us all kinds of names and saying we were adulterers because the judge had not signed the final divorce papers so they were legally still married. BM told kids he was not just divorcing her but was divorcing them too, and abandoned them to party and have a girlfriend. I know she made SD11 feel like she had done something terrible and she resented us for involving her in what she was told was this horrible thing that was ruining her mom's life and hers now. BM started treating her good and telling her that she was the only parent she had now to align her with her. If her mom had not reacted in that way none of it would have happened.

BM even told him previously that they had lived apart she knew they were not getting back together, they were filing for divorce and she was fine with dating, that she wanted to start dating herself and didn't care if he did. Well she denied this ever was said and told everyone he was a horrible adulterer, alcoholic, deadbeat who abandoned his kids and stole the family car to move to another state. A car that was in his name only. There were 2 other cars in the household other than the one he took to move, BM's parents car, who live with her, and the oldest daughter's SD18, who was 16 at the time. had another car in husbands name he was paying for the oldest daughter to drive. She thought he should get nothing but his clothes I guess. So BM told the girls he stole the family car from her. Literally all he got in the divorce was the car he took that was in his name, and his clothes. She got everything else, the house and everything in it. He got nothing for the furniture or contents of the house and garage, but she was ordered to pay him part of the equity in the house which she has not.

My husband keeps telling SD11 that I love her and want to see her too as a reason for me coming down there. yes I want to see the girls, but not force myself on them. And she keeps saying I'm not her mom, so yeah, I keep telling him to back off on telling her I love and care so much because she may not want to hear that? I don't know I've never been a step mom before. I told him feelings take awhile to grow, but he wants her to like me as much as the younger one does. I do want the girls to get to know me better, and the only way that happens is spending time. But the major reason for me going honestly is to support my husband in his court hearing and spend time with him on the days the girls aren't with us since we rarely get alone time either. SD7 would like to see me too I think, and me her.

I don't leave it to my husband to deal with his baggage alone because we are married now and nobody should have to go through what she has put him through, He is a great guy and a good loving father. She is just mean and narcissistic and cares about herself and her endgame. He was too nice for her and I am nice too, but don't mess with the people I love. I am a very loving and giving person so I think my husband was even surprised at my tough side. I love him and he loves me, we are a united front. When all the kids are grown and have families of their own we will still be together. He is worried about my feelings, which it does hurt to not be wanted and called names behind my back etc. He is planning to tell her I am his wife and she needs to respect that and has already offered alone time for lunch or something, but she doesn't think it's good enough. He just doesn't want her to freak out and cry asking for alone visits all the time. I do think she will keep asking if he gives in to her. And I think BM needs to know that using SD11 to do her dirty work doesn't work. We just don't know how to handle all of it at times, it's emotionally draining.

LikeMinded's picture

This was me 5 years ago, and I know you don't want to hear this:

Although it's admirable to want to help your DH with this, please note that this will be a long, drawn out battle that will be the focus of your lives for years to come. Although it is noble to want to help the man you love, your life and needs are important too. I suggest setting up some personal boundaries or your relationship may suffer in the future.

SweetMom's picture

if you are not there then who will he be cuddling? surely not a 11 year old. I myself would go just to piss them off and not give into their requests lol . It doesn't matter how long you have been in the kids life. As long as they drink the same kool aid in BM house then you are a stranger to them.