You are here

New rebellion

Dman333's picture

My SD is 13 and I've been her SD since she was 5 and she has become the most hateful and spiteful person. I'm getting a steady dose of "I hate you" and "you can't tell me what to do." Since I'm the enforcer in my marriage--I have a 3 yr. old son.

My wife and I can't seem to get "our" daughter to realize that rude and disrespectful behavior has consequences that will guarantee her a unhappy teen-hood. What say you wonderful-stressed folks? We've tried counseling and no privileges and we've not gotten through to her.

Anne 8102's picture

I really don't have any advice for you on this, but I'm sure you'll find lots of folks to commiserate with here. We just start taking stuff away, whether it's the TV, the computer, iPod, whatever. Find whatever it is that she values the most and then take it away until she straightens up. I think a lot of kids go through this stage and most of them grow out of it eventually. If she hasn't already started getting periods, she probably will very soon and that's going to make life even more unpleasant for awhile. Hang in there!

~ Anne ~

Enuffsenuff's picture

I back talked and rebelled so bad to my parents, BM and SD, that I"m certain I gave them every gray hair on their head. Definately be consistent. That was the key to breaking me of it.

If I back talked or was disrespectful I would get grounded for say a week--No TV, no phone, no friends, nothing--if it happened again while I was grounded mom would start tacking on another day for every episode. One time I ended up grounded for a solid month--but you know what I learned to watch my mouth around my parents- and my angry outburst got fewer and far between.

Good Luck!
Alisha