You are here

Need a ref?

Astarte256's picture

My DH and I have been married for a year and a half. He has an 8yr old son from a previous marriage who stays with us every other weekend. My DH and I get along great but I am miserable when my ss is here.  He is a good kid, he is just full of energy and wears me down quickly.  I also think manners are important whereas BM does not. He still smacks his food and talks back.
     Yesterday after spending the whole day with him while my husband was working I was ready for some down time.  I was getting ready to take a hot bath and get ready for family movie night when I heard my dog yelp. 
     Apparently my ss thought the dog was doing something it wasn't supposed to so he hit it.  My dog is my buddy and I hate to see any animal mistreated especially one I love very much. I told him that we don't hit animals and thats not acceptable in this house. My DH came into the house at this point and basically told ss the same thing and sent him to his room to "think about it" DH and I got into an argument (quietly ) where I was told I make him feel like a referee. 
I just want to throw up my hands.. I know kids aren't perfect and I don't expect him to be. I just wish we could all enjoy it when he is here! 

liks's picture

Remind the golden boy that the dog will end up bitting you if you keep smacking him and he could bite your nose or face off, very dangerous practice....remind dh about that possibility also, emphasizing 'how concerned you r for the golden child's well being'. Of course. As u wld hate anything to happen to him. Yeah right Wink

Then maybe teach the dog to bite. Joking....hehe

leftfield's picture

was this a one time incident or does your dog seem more nervous/scared, especially when the kid is around?

If it's the latter, I'd run for the hills. There are PLENTY of peer-reviewed studies that suggest that kids who purposely hurt an animal, turn into crazy teens/adults. Screw that.

Astarte256's picture

Golden boy is right! He is the only child and used to being the center of attention. I have seen him be rough with our dog and the cat also. I absolutely agree that mistreatment of animals is a major red flag, so I really want to drive this point home while he is young.