You are here

need advice

doglover1's picture

My H had a daughter 10. We live pretty well so we can afford to basically give her anything she wants and needs. Here is my problem.

H and I got into an arguement last nite. His daughter wants and Iphone for christmas. He told her she could have one but it would not be hooked up to use as a phone, but that she could use for music, pics, games. She allready has an ipod. I was pissed because the kid gets everything she wants all the time. Allready this year we had to have a talk with her about being a show off to other children.

I dont want to help create a snobby soiled brat..which she isnt totally yet but getting there.

My H thinks im a bitch about all this. He also thinks that because of the divorce (6 yrs ago) that his daughter has issues about abandonment . (ya so spoil the kid, that will work)

I pointed out that she parents divorced and his father spoiled the crap out of my h's sister and now she is a total waste of life. SHe is 31 and cant pay her bills . Her Daddy takes care of everything!!!

My H disagrees. SHould i stand my ground or let him do what she wants...its his kid?

mom2five's picture

A ten year old is too young for an iphone. We are a five iphone family! My husband and I, and three of our five kids have iphones. I think they are awesome! Our younger two have the itouch and regular cell phones.

iphones are really easy to break. If you break an itouch, it's not that big a deal. If you break an iphone, not only are you screwed because of the cost of the phone, but you are still locked into the $100 a month phone and data plan.

...but the new one is completely awesome. Just sayin' Wink

monkeyboy2030's picture

I agree that a 10 yo is too young for an iphone. It sounds like she wants the iphone for the ability to play games, or just because it is an "iphone". I agree that they are pretty fragile. You also can run up the bill pretty quick buying apps if you are not careful.

The iTouch gives you access to the apps but not the phone. I am a noncustodial SF of and 8 yo and 4 yo. DW and I have debated getting a cell phone for the 8yo so that we can call them more often than once a week - but 8 yo is probably too young for a cell phone.

I also think that you have to be so careful with buying presents. We live pretty well also, and I make 6-7x what the custodial BF makes. For awhile, I felt guilt for not us not fighting harder for custody and bought presents for my SS to ease the guilt. It only got worse, and the ingratitude was even more frustrating and painful, and now the 8 yo says "Where are my surprises? my presents?" every visit.

My wife and I recently switched from Sprint to ATT for the iphone. Love it!

Jsmom's picture

If she has the itouch why does she need the iphone. What's next the flat screen in her room and the ipad? What does she have to ask for as she gets older? Eventually it is all about the latest and greatest. I fight this yearly with my BS15. I don't get him these things, but his grandparents and aunts and uncles do. They overcompensate for his fathers death at 6. He now asks for cash for christmas or gift cards and plots what he will get. I have long stopped trying to compete with it and buying what he needs and using Christmas as an excuse to get it. Two years ago, new bedroom furniture from mom. I was told by everyone that wasn't a Christmas gift. He needed it and I knew it was a large expense. Besides what could I get him, that they already didn't?

Tell your DH she is too young. If he disagrees ask him why would he buy a phone and not activate it? That is basically the itouch then?? Correct?

doglover1's picture

thanks for all the feedback. I really like the itouch idea.

I basically think the child is being spoiled to much. Also i beleive that i have no control over it and will just have to disconnect from the situation.

gotta take care of me.

steptalk rocks!