You are here

need advice

whensitover's picture

I have what I think is a bizarre situation. My DH has 2 children born ofw (out of wedlock) by 2 exs. Child1 was living w/ex2 for a while after their divorce. She has now been thrown out of the house and of course lives with us. Her BM doesn't want her either fulltime. Well, ex2 did not have custody and made many decisions w/o DH's consent. Many costly decisions that I have had to pay for. I have done so but have had enough. In the past 4 months I have shelled out $$$$ for medical costs not covered by our insurance because they are deemed unwarranted. She signs child1 in as her own (emergeny room visits) and then refuses to pay for any of them. The last one is to have child1 admitted to the mental facility in the hospital. Child1 is not crazy nor has she ever been. The insurance co denied the coverage because the DRs. said there was no need. the child is perfectly normal. We have also found out that ex2 has been collecting welfare on Child1. Is there any way to have her found responsible for any of the bills? Ex2 has signed child1 in as mother. None of the visits were needed and while we carry insurance and pay all bills for child1 I do not feel we should pay for bills racked up just to cause financial strain on us. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am at my wits end. Child2 (ex2 BC) just came over with an earring. While this may be perfectly normal for some or most of you, My SS10 really shouldn't be made a pawn by his mother to piss his father off. and SS10 looks like an ass with an earring. yes there are more important things to worry about but this could just be the stepping stone to those things. If it were a good idea, he wouldn't have needed his mommy to come along and sign a consent form.
Thanks for any advice!

Constantly_guilty's picture

Honestly, I'm not certain what the law is surrounding who is responsible for medical costs in a situation like this. But birth parents are ALWAYS expected to split medical costs 50/50 (I understand its not the BM that is racking up the bills). It seems like the only alternative is to go to court to have the judge acknowledge that the costs are superfluous and you should not be held responsible for them since they were unnecessary. My DH had a situation not as extreme but similar that he had a judgement on. The exW was taking SD10 to all sorts of occupational therapists (she thought SD10 was dyslexic even though we had her tested and she wasn't) and to a chiropracter because she occassionally wet the bed (kids do this at 5 and 6) and she wanted him to pay half of these costs. The judge ordered that because he wasn't consulted first (these were non-emergency and elective visits) he couldn't be held responsible for the cost.