You are here

My husband is a piece of work.

Mamasammy's picture

I don't have a lot of friends to discuss this with so this is my safe space. It's not about skids. My husband has talked several times about buying a new car. He has a 2008 Honda Civic and it works, it's paid off and it gets him places. I told him I think that'd be okay. He never talked about price or anything.  I have a 2012 Hyundai Santa fe. He bought the Santa Fe without me during our first week of marriage and it caused a lot of arguments. I still have my beater car from when I was a teenager. I hold onto it because it's the only car in my name and don't know how much longer I'll be with this guy. My Monster in law came to town for the week and so I flew to Pennsylvania to see my dad. While I was away I got a call from my husband but didn't answer because I was in a loud area and had a couple drinks. I knew what he was doing I saw his location at a dealership for 3 hours. I knew. I should've answered but couldn't logically make a smart decision because I'd been drinking so I texted him and told him to tell me details about the price and mileage and car etc and I'll take a look at it later. I look at my camera a couple hours later and he's at home with a new fuckin car. I'm fuming. He made a decision without me. I called him and asked why he wouldn't text me back and he told me if he didn't buy it right then and there that another guy was going to buy it so he had to act on it. Are you fuckin kidding me?! We've been arguing like crazy especially since I got back. I can't look at him. I'm so hurt he would make such a huge decision without me. He did this with the house and our other car.  He told me it's my fault I didn't answer and I told him it was okay for him to buy a 25,000 dollar car. I never said that. We don't make good money so this was a really dumb decision. We recently talked about how to pay off debt and then he adds a 500$ car payment to the mix. He mentioned he didn't put a down payment down and I find that hard to believe. I'm afraid he is hiding money from me. Am I overreacting is this crazy ness? I'm so close to leaving him like this has made me lose a lot of respect for him. 

sandye21's picture

Your DH is irresponsible.  You didn't mention how long you've been married to him but I'd suggest separating finances.  Use a joint account for living expenses only.  Let him pay for his car or any other 'dreams' he comes up with.

notsurehowtodeal's picture

This would be a deal breaker for me. A first step would be to split all of your finances and take a good look at what loans and bills you are actually responsible for. Look into the laws in your state as far a joint property. Just because your name is not on a title doesn't mean that half of it doesn't belong to you.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

You H bought a new car for YOU!

Now separate finances, make him drive the Santa Fe AND make the new car payment.

Remove the gratification, and maybe he'll stop committing financial infidelity.

tog redux's picture

Yep, financial irrresponsibility is a deal breaker for me.  DH and I would never have a $500 car payment and we make good money combined.  And if he did it without me, with two cars and a house? Nope.

He does it when you aren't there because he knows you are frugal and won't let him buy what he wants. That's not what I call a partner.

Sparkl3s's picture

The good news is since you weren't there the loan is only in his name. I'd be tempted to freeze my husband's credit so he couldn't do dumb ish like this but the truth is you shouldn't have to babysit your husband. I'm sorry this sucks.