You are here

Money and kids

SUZIWORD's picture

Quick question....there are definitely issues between our blended family. Feelings have been hurt, stuff said, etc., but what do you do when your child wants to borrow money (for school, legit) and you need to ask your DH, but there has been bad blood between them? Do you ask, do you not?!?

not yet a step mom's picture

thats a hard one. do you NEED to ask DH for the money or can you come up with it on your own? will he notice that its gone?
i am usually all about being honest and open, but i do agree that sometimes poeple (maybe your DH) get pissed about something that is not that big of a deal (for instance maybe he would get mad b/c there has been bad blood btwn. them and NOT cuz of the money.)

1) will your child honestly be able to pay you back? or is this really "gift"?
2) can you and DH afford it? or will it truly set you back or make you late on your own bills?
3)if the money is just coming out of a savings accout, CD, or fund will it make a dent? or is it a small amount of money that your kid needs?
i say it all depends on the amount of money your child needs, if they can honestly pay it back or if its a gift and how financially stable you and DH are.
(sorry if this doesn't help)

Willow2010's picture

I think we would need more details, sorry.

In my house, all monies are separate. And will stay that way until all kids are out of college.

I do not tell him what he can give his kid and he does not tell me either so it is not an issue. It would be an issue if we combined.

SUZIWORD's picture

We do have separate accounts, however at this time I don't have the funds in my account to loan him. I still have his younger brother in college and living at home. Its so hard to say b/c he (the oldest) has borrowed money, many, many times and never repaid so not sure if he would pay back or not. Of course there has been issues between them and things said, etc. and he does not come over and his doesn't bring my grandbaby around b/c supposedly she is scared of DH (which I can't see b/c she is only 2). So, they pretty much exclude him out of the picture and then sorta me too to a certain degree.

Truthfully, I sort of feel like my DH is not good enough for my boys but yet you can call to ask to borrow money. Doesn't seem right!

MamaBecky's picture

Suziword I think you are pretty much answering your own question. I would ask DH but if he says no....I wouldnt push it. (Maybe he will surprise you!) Really if he doesnt want to loan a kid money that has barrowed before and not repaid, and disrepects him and yourself, and acts like your DHjust isnt good enough for them....then why should he? Why only call when you want something? I would say a big heck no if I were your husband. Ask him. If he says no you should understand why and respect it. If he says yes really really push your son to show some gratitude to his SD.

ddakan's picture

uh, no, i have my own money and if i want to give it to my bios I will. he never knows what i do with the money anyway, he's too busy working, watching the outdoor channel, or looking up some new piece of hunting equipment.

he usually tells me if he is giving the skids anything, but i usually make the money decisions anyway, so he doesn't give a crap.