You are here

Minor, but will back-fire

Disillusioned's picture

So now that FIL has moved and it's no longer as easy for him to host DH's family events at his place, DH's sister has started to host the odd one - she will only host one's for Father's Day, never bother if it's DH's birthday for example, definitely not for mine, but even for DH's daughters - her own nieces -she figures that's up to FIl or DH I guess (Although when it's HER birthday then she literally demands that "DH" host it - whole other post could write a book on the last time she pulled that one).

Anyway, her way of planning the event is to have a message passed on to DH via DH's eldest daughter which tells, not asks, DH exactly the date, time, place (her place) that it's being held and what dishes 'DH' is to bring

Of course DH's sister thinks that any dishes to be prepared, especially the veggie one she said DH was to bring, will be prepared by me. DH will expect naturally that I'll do this too. DH's sister or daughter would never show the respect to me to ask me directly, not even to include me in the conversation, not even if I'm right there beside DH, they will still address the request directly to DH, speaking only to him, not so much as glancing in my direction

So I guess they're all in for a surprise when it won't happen. Since the second-hand message was conveyed to 'DH' about what 'DH' is supposed to prepare and bring, if DH doesn't do this (and it's highly unlikely he would remember and even if he does remember will never get that right, just not his thing) then it won't happen. At best DH might show up with a store-bought macaroni salad if he remembers "he" was supposed to bring a veggie dish at all. And then there is the meat dish. Not sure who DH is supposed to be buying the meat dish for either so who knows how this will work out

I'm sure when we arrive with nothing and DH's sister is ticked off about it, DH will ask ME why I hadn't brought the dishes/prepared the dishes/reminded him about the dishes

My response will be "Really? I seriously don't recall your sister or daughter having any conversation with me at all about anything, ever, let alone dishes that 'I' was supposed to bring" "I'm sorry, but when were they talking to me about this?"

Works two ways Wink

IslandGal's picture

Go for it Disillusioned!! Absolutely 100% do it!! Bloody hell - their rudeness is ... just.. :jawdrop:

Please keep us posted..it will also be a lovely way to teach YOUR DH a lesson that he needs to back you up and show his kids that their attitudes will NOT be tolerated!!

Honestly, I would do EXACTLY the same thing and turn up with jack shit just to prove my point.

AllySkoo's picture

Good for you! She can be pushy with her brother all she wants, but she's got no business trying to push YOU around! Let us know what her (and DH's!) responses are!

Disillusioned's picture

I have a wonderful FIL jumanji, he treats me like gold. Of course I will be there. Why would I let DH's sister and daughter interfere with that? :? :? :?

I will go and have a great time with FIL just like I always do.

The people who act like negative losers have zero effect on my good time. The only ones that will be walking around ticked off will be DH's sister and daughter (and possibly DH) and that will be their problem, not mine Dirol Dirol

Disillusioned's picture

Well not only did DH forget the food, but I did too Biggrin

So the day before, which was after we had already done our weekend errands, grocery shopping, etc... DH suddenly says "problem, we were supposed to be bringing a meat dish for him along with a veggie dish for everyone"

So he says we have to run out to get this and asks me what should we do about the veggie dish

I say "get whatever you would like dear" DH says he has no idea what should he do

I suggest egg plant ha ha because I know that as soon as I suggest it he would say "hey I can do that on the BBQ" so he says, "great idea, in fact, I can throw that on the grill"

So, I didn't worry about preparing any veggie dishes for people who don't have the manners to ask me directly Smile

AllySkoo's picture

Lol Good for you!! And especially good for you that you put it so far out of your mind you actually forgot! I love it! Smile