You are here

Might do a trial separation. :(

QTsmum's picture

I thought things were getting better.  We have both been busy with work, so haven't had much "blended" time.  We had a quickie vacation last month alone and he brought up that he doesn't mind the relationship we have (I manage my kids, he manages his).  Which was a relief, because I really thought he was still resentful that I wasn't taking on the role of full time mom, which I refuse to do because his kid is a spaz and has very few boundaries. 

Well, I guess I was right; it seems like there was a whole 'lotta resentment.  His kid (he's 6) was bawling over not wanting to go to camp (this super amazing, fun camp that they are priviledged to go to, that *I* arranged...).  So I tried to figure out why.  I asked my boys (7 and 10 yrs) if SS had been having any issues at camp, assuming maybe he was being bothered or something since he's on the young and very small end.  My youngest tells me that SS has bene hitting and kicking and spitting at a kid on the bus.  I was mortified.  I asked my 10 year old  who wasn't in the room when my 7YO told me very vaguely if he had heard of issues on the bus with SS and he said yeah and confirmed the story to a Tee.

I texted DH who was already at work and simply said what I had been told.  He lashed out and said he doesn't trust what my boys say and that them and I have a vandetta against his kid.  Firstly, my boys aren't little liars, thank F*ing god, because it's one of the worst traits a person can get.  Secondly, they wouldn't have said anything about it had I not asked.  It's not like they ran to me to rat him out. And lastly, SS has a history of being aggressive at school and is constantly being reminded to be hands off at home.  So it's really NOT surprising.  It was honestly shocking to read that from him.  It was like a volcano exploded out of no where and I was stunned and beyond pissed.  With that being said, I don't think my kids shit rainbows, so I asked the counselor at the bus that morning to look into it and get back to me.  Well, he got back to me and confirmed the story, said the little boy was very upset and the boy showed him scratches on his arms from SS as well from days before.  

I kept my distance from DH that day.  I mentioned the next day that there were movies at the drive in and he said his kid wasn't allowed to do anything fun because he refused to "remember" what happened on the bus.  So I thought great, discipline!  Well later that day, SS went to his grandmother's house because DH wanted to finish some renovations at our business (because work ALWAYS trumps parenting, no matter how bad his kid has been) and he gets EVERYTHING he wants at her house.  She even posted videos of them doing fun stuff.  So he wins!  Again.  He is babied and spoiled and it makes my skin crawl when I see him around her.  She had to watch the kids the other morning while I had to go far for a medical test and my boys were woken up at 6 because SS was playing a f*cking guitar.  There is NO common sense our boundaries.  I gave him crap one time for acting like a little butthole at a big work event we threw and he went and curled up into her lap like a fetus and she just coddled him.  BARF.

I don't know if we can get past this.  We have talked and talked this sh*t through and I thought we were in a good place, but it's just this unresolved sh*t that lingers and is getting worse and worse and to say he didn't trust my kids (who are GOOD boys because I've been tough on them consisitently their entire lives) and that I was making false accusations about his child, for what, fun?!  It's too much.

I told him that we may need to do a trial separation.  I think he has so much unresolved guilt over his kid's life because his shitty choice in BM, that the kid can do no wrong.  Honestly, my own kid has corrected SS's manners at the table (belching loudly) without DH saying squat.  That's pretty fricking telling.

Maybe we go to counselling.  I don't know.  I spent quite a bit of time in counselling on my own this year to resolve some deep hurt caused over the years by his and BM's early f*cked up dynamic.  And it helped.  But I really think he needs someone that's not me to tell him he's being a twat.  :\

Siemprematahari's picture

You and H going to counseling to address the SS, resentment, and parenting in general would be helpful. However, if your H doesn't want to put forth the effort you both will continue down this toxic path and the distance will only get greater between you. His resentment will only grow. You can't change his lack of parenting and if I were you I'd disengage 100%.

I have an issue with the counselor not contacting H to tell him about his son acting out. This should have been done ASAP and you shouldn't have taken it upon yourself to ask the counselor. You should have told H about it and have him call. You already got a glimpse of how he feels about your sons so I'd completely detach from his kid and let him deal with the constant BS.

A trial separation may be best if your H doesn't want to work on the marriage. Wishing you the best and that he sees what a disservice he's doing to his son by burying his head in the sand.

QTsmum's picture

I do think he would go to counselling if I suggested it.  The resentment though, I'm not sure why it's so bad.  I feel like he has this expectation that I am going to be the mother hen to his kid and SS would get the fairly tale life that he envisioned for him, despite having chosen a crappy partner to spawn with.  And he's left feeling guilty (even though he's the one that obsessively chooses work over his kid) and he doesn't know what to do with it, so he's taking it out on me.  I think he has this false idea of what I am doing wtih my children.  The reality is, I rush them home and try to get life together here (dinner, cleaning) before it's bed time.  Dinner for him and his kid, their laundry, cleaning the whole house...it's not like I'm not taking care of everyone.  We run a fairly large business together, so we are constantly both in chaos.  It's not like either one of us has much time for fun, ya know?!  

I did disengage before.  I think that's where the severe resentment started.  He got livid when I bought pumpkins for my boys and not one for his (his wasn't here and I knew he was going to do one at a kids party we were throwing at our business).  Well his kid decided to be bad at school (inappropriate touching, multiple offences) and wasn't able to go to the party, so didn't do a pumpkin.  So when he saw my boys' pumpkins at home, he mentioned he wanted to do one.  I was the bad guy for not thinking of his kid.  See the pattern?  

The counselor didn't see what happened on the bus, I ended up asking him Friday morning to speak to the other child and please find out for me.  DH kept SS home from camp that day (because he cried that he didn't want to go.  Ugh.) so he wasn't there.  But I should have given DH the phone number and told him to call.  I honestly feel like he wouldn't have called though, to be honest.  Now that I write that out, I see the red flag.

I feel like I should have ran years ago.  I feel like such a dummy.

Harry's picture

To try to get your head in the right place.  This is not going to solve the SS issue. Your DH is a bad parent. He is not parenting his kid,  He letting his kid control the house. Waking up others,  ect. 

Will a separation turn DH into a good parent. Most likely not. He is set in his DISNEY ways. And everything is Rosy through his rose colored glasses 

QTsmum's picture

I think it's more for me to have some space and be able to see what I feel like after a bit of distance.  We have a very strong "connection" and always get drawn back to eachother despite the shit.  I think some space will help clarify that for me, ya know?  Instead of getting pulled back into the cycle.

As for him I'm hoping we can go to couselling during the separation and he can get his eyes opened to the truth about what he's creating (IE: a spoiled child)  and maybe feel what he's losing.  But honestly, it's more for me.  I'm too smart to think he would change by me just walking away.