You are here

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year STalkers

Rags's picture

All,

It has been a whirlwind of a past 3.5 weeks.  Most of it spent driving, though some spent on beautiful hikes in Big Bend.  With little coverage or time for online participation.

I am short listed for a Sr. role with a company based in PA.   They wanted me in PA for an in person interview on Dec 7.  With the new bloom of Covid cases I decided not to fly and told them I preferred to drive.  I gave my dad a call to see if he was up for a road trip.

I drove from our house to mom and dad's (4 hours) on Thursday the 3rd and dad and I left on Friday the 4th.  We routed through dad's home town so that we could pay respects at my GPs graves and the graves of his Aunt and Uncle.  We met his cousin in the parking lot of a restaurant on the morning we were leaving for the rest of the drive to PA.  We all stayed in our own vehicles, ~8ft apart and visited for about 20 Mins through lowered windows on Sat AM.

After breakfast we hit the road and drove through the rest of MO, across IL, across Iowa and half the way across Ohio.  Interestingly there was very little traffic on the Interstate and no restaurants were allowing inside or outside dining. Only take out.  So, we ate in the car.  We got into our destination in PA on Sunday late afternoon.

I was supposed to interview on Monday AM.  I showed up 15mins early and.... went through Covid screening and sign in with the Nurse.  She asked me for my negative Covid test.  That was the first I had heard of needing one.  They took me to the conference room and I went through the safety orientation and spoke with the Safety lead.  Next was supposed to be a comprehensive plant tour that did not happen.  They accelerated the panel interview and only one of the 4 interview panel showed up. We had about 30mins together during which there were several interruptions.  After the last interruption he returned to the conference room, told me he had to leave, grabbed his binder and left.  At that point the executive that was to be my final interview came in and we spoke with each other from across the room for about 15mins.  Then...they sent me to their clinic contractor for a Covid test.  

So, what was supposed to be a 1 day interview turned into  3days with part of it being offsite in an employment center conference room.  The exec and I had dinner with each other Tuesday night and I finished the interview on Wednesday with several interview panels and a plant tour.  It went well.

Dad and I left Thurs AM for our return trip to TX.  We walked through Appomattox Court House on Thursday evening.  I had never been.  Truly hallowed ground where our nation re-united.  Very poignant considering the divisions that are so rampant these days.

We got home to mom and dad's Saturday AM.  I ended up staying with mom and dad until the following Thursday to help them get their huge RV ready for a month in the Big Bend area over the Holidays. I got home on the 17th and immediately started packing for DW and I to meet mom and dad in Big Bend.  We left Saturday the 19th and drove the 800+ miles to Terlingua over Sat and Sunday arriving at the Lost Gringo RV park in time for a late lunch on Sunday.  

The 4 of us had a great week together.  We hiked some beautiful trails each day and feasted like royalty nearly every day.  The Big Bend area is remote and desolate enough that you can avoid people easily.  Interestingly there were more people than we have ever seen in the 25 years we have been regularly visiting the region.  Still not enough people to constitute a crowd but there were notably more people than is the norm.

The company from PA and I played V-mail tag the whole week we were in Big Bend. There was next to zero cell coverage and skitchy WiFi connectivity in the RV park so calls, texts, email, and STalk participation was next to impossible. I am hopeful that their calls indicate that an offer is forthcoming.  

On Saturday the 26th we took mom and dad to breakfast to celebrate mom's 76th birthday and we gave her her birthday gifts.  For as long as I can remember dad has made it a point to celebrate mom's birthday on the 26th with zero reference to Christmas. She never had her birthday celebrated growing up since her parents and the family always just rolled it into the Christmas celebration.  She mentioned that once early in their 58+ year marriage and dad has never allowed her birthday to pass without a notable celebration and recognition of it being her birthday.  My whole life I have made sure to follow dad's example in celebrating mom on her birthday.  My DW goes above and beyond in doing up mom's birthday.  We left mid afternoon on the 26th for the 800+ mile return drive from Big Bend home.  We avoided the interstates on the return trip and stuck to the more scenic highways.  We over nighted in San Antonio and had a late dinner at the family's favorite restaurant on Sat night.  We got home mid afternoon on Sunday the 27th.  

After three and half weeks, ~5000 miles and some great time with my dad and then with my bride and my parents the end of 2020 is looking to be a positive entry into a new year.

I leave tomorrow mid day for another 800 mile round trip on Tues and Wed to get my car into the dealership near my parents house for the replacement of the main screen unit which has started to delaminate. I put it in the shop when we got back from the PA trip whine I had less than 200 miles left on the manufactures warranty.  The replacement unit came in while we were in Big Bend and I coordinated an installation appointment for Wed AM when I could connect long enough to send texts.

I am catching up on STalk happenings as time allows.

Happy Christmas, Merry Holidays, and Happy New Year STalkers.  I hope that all has gone well for everyone.  May your 2021 be one of health, success, meaning, adventure, and with as little StepDrama as possible.

Sincere regards,

Rags

Aunt Agatha's picture

Fingers crossed for you with the job!  I'm in PA, so we would be commonwealthers together! 

Glad you had this time with your parents.  It sounded like two very memorable trips...

Rags's picture

Thanks everyone.  If it works out this will be our second round in PA and the midAtlantic region.  We lived in SE PA 2005-2008 then in DE from 2008-2010.  We enjoyed the area very much.

We will keep our home in Texas and likely buy another in PA after a year or so.  Where we will live housing is incredibly affordable so two homes is not prohibitive.  Particularly with both  of us working.

The plan is to get the Texas house paid off in the next 5-7 years to act as our retirement home.  This role will be a career transition for me from project based contractor work to in house work.  I have mostly worked for OEM manufacturers or contract services companies with the exception of two years with a owner/producer company mid career.

I look forward to returning to a stable successful manufacturing company... if it works out that way.

Thanks again.