You are here

Maybe I'm just crabby...

minerva385's picture

I don't know why I am so irritated about this today. Maybe because I just sent out another present for SD and I know what to expect, yet it still makes me pissy. Hubby and I send SD5 presents, cards, clothes, whatever, in the mail about once a month. Definitely for all major holidays and her birthday. Once, only once, have we ever gotten acknowledgment that the package was even received, much less a thank you. We have now started paying the dollar extra or whatever it is to get confirmation that the package has been delivered just so that we know that it made it. I grew up having to say 'thank you' to every single person that ever went out of their way to get me something, whether this was just a card or a present, super cheap or hella expensive. To me, it seems like the right thing to do and is just good manners. I still get cards from my grandparents every single holiday and I ALWAYS call to thank them. I don't blame SD5 for not saying thank you at all. To me, it is once again BM's fault. Since she has custody it is her job to teach her kiddo(s) good manners. Maybe I'm just too uptight, but seriously, is it that hard to say "thank you". Grrr...

dsngrl's picture

she is only 5.. are you frustrated with BM then? If so, let it go. Please dont get frustrated with your SD, as 5 is really young to expect her to pick up the phone and call you guys every time. Yes, BM should have her call you guys, but sounds like she doesnt care. Do you talk to SD on the phone? Can you ask her if she received her presents?

minerva385's picture

Yeah, I am just frustrated with BM. I know it is not SD's fault at all and I don't blame her at all. We try to talk to SD on the phone, but BM doesn't answer her damn phone ever. In the past month we've called to talk to SD about 17 times and have only been able to speak to her twice. BUT that is a whole different issue...

Sus's picture

MY children were taught Manners since HIGH chair. When they received a Gift, of any type and as young, as they were, they painted, a picture, or colored a picture etc. And I would write, the words.. from them ....THANK YOU,.

As they got older & could write on their own, they wrote the notes before they played with or Spent the money. ALWAYS NO IFS OR BUTS.

They have always THANKED ANYONE for ANYTHING they received.

It's The Mother & fathers job to make sure a child is taught this.
BUT if the Parents weren't taught manners, they can't teach their own children manners...Simple as that,!!!

minerva385's picture

I don't know why, but impolite people/kids is one of my pet peeves. I think it is awesome when parents go the extra mile to teach their children manners...kudos to you especially when he doesn't "get" it after repeating yourself 8 billion times. We don't see SD often enough for her to really remember that she got presents from us. She lives about a thousand miles away, so we get out there whenever we can. My irritation really is with the BM. I realize we are different people and I would obviously raise my future children differently from her and not to say that her method is wrong (it is, but I digress ;-P) It would just be nice if she expressed a common courtesy...all I want is a God Damn Thank You! Biggrin

bioandstep2009's picture

One of my pet peeves too! And you're right to be frustrated with BM. If I were in that situation, I'd help SD5 write a thank you note or draw a picture and mail it, something, anything, it's just common courtesy! My SS10 STILL has to be reminded to say please and thank you. It really infuriates me. My DD11 has no problem saying please and thank you, everytime I ask FH (his father) for something or DD11 or even him, I always say, "Could you please..." etc. It's just second nature to me, pleases and thank you's. I think that kids today just aren't being taught these simple things, golden rules, just like good penmanship is apparently an antiquated notion... Instead we have "let the child express their personality through HORRIBLE and ILLEGIBLE handwriting. DON'T teach them how to form letters properly because it'll stifle their individualism". SIGH. Sorry I got off topic there....LOL.

Last-Wife's picture

OMG. Just today one of the skids wanted to do something, and I said he had to write one thank you note to his grandparents. (Still haven't finished the Christmas thank- yous.) He pitched a fit. Luckily DH supported me and told the skid to write the note, or he would tell the gift giver not to give him any more gifts AND DH would take away the item he was supposed to be thanking the person for. The skid is 14 for crying out loud! So he writes it and I kid you not my bio-son8 did a much better job on his thank-yous, but I let it slide. Then I hear skid on phone with BM. I swear he had it on speaker phone to piss me off. He was complaining to BM he had to write the note. BM was like, "well, did you thank them when they gave it to you?" "Yea," he said. "So what the hell do they need it in writing for?" she said

WTF? Sometimes I just want to slap her upside the head, and tell her how her lack of manners should not influence the children to do what is decent...

(The note was for MY PARENTS for a Wii, 4 remotes, 3 games and extra pieces they bought to go with it... Yea, I think it deserved more than a mumbled, "thanks."

Some people!

And yes, I even made him later write her a thank you note for the road trip she took him on over Christmas Break.
"I HAD to pick the road less traveled..."

minerva385's picture

Can I have your parents? I would LOVE a Wii AND I would make, decorate, and mail my own damn thank you note ;-P

Most Evil's picture

No manners is a pet peeve of mine too - we were raised to say Yes Ma'am and Yes Sir, which you rarely hear any more! but it does still apply and come in handy sometimes!