You are here

Major creeps 22yo SS having baby

Genevieve's picture

22yo stepson moved out of our home at 18 due to "unreasonable" rules of our home (eg being full time student or full time employed and paying us rent).  It has been wonderful having him gone,  but by living in an expensive area, head-scratchingly he has not been able to survive on his HS diploma... but has found one girlfriend after another to mooch from, each relationship lasting 3-6 months.  Well, current GF got herself into a real pickle getting herself pregnant by this loser.  She and my SS live w her mother and 2 young adult sisters.  They seem like a real dysfunctional bunch who I would normally stay way clear from.  Cells in my body are actually repelled.   Both SS's GF and her mother have complained  to me about the boy they foolishly let into their home, and now into their gene pool.  Stupid me, hoping that it would get his attention to try to, I dk, get back to school or some sort of job training to actually support this future child, mentioned their concerns to him, including GF's claim to be ready to "move on" if no change.  After having his "perfect and thoroughly-happy love nest" being put into question he dramatically confronted  his baby mama who quickly denied ever having said this... so guess who's the "aggressive" bitch who's trying to taint this fairy tale now?  Me :).
My gawd how I just fell straight into that one!!

I haven't had any interest in contact since this blowup, but now the SS is texting dad, wondering why he hasn't heard from his daddy in a month?  Gee, I wonder?  Maybe because you're a lying, scheming, manipulative, history-rewriting shithead?  Or maybe we can't stomach the newly-minted (and plastic cheap) professions of unwavering devotion towards your growing family, or assurances of your newfound gallantry, willing to make any sacrifice... to do "whatever it takes" for your soon-to-be-daughter?  Sorry, just kind of hard to believe that this little fuckup is prepared to make let alone keep any plans or have the first clue of what your child really needs.... an actual stable foundation!  This coming from the mouth of a kid who thinks that he is somehow the exception, the special one who's gonna make it despite the dearth any marketable skill.  The same one who argued with Unemployment when he didn't get any checks after being fired from his job.  Yes, fired.  Expecting unemployment. 
 After ahaving endures a physically painful gender reveal party at mom's (oh, and my SS's new pad!) during which we were treated horribly - mother didn't make it out till about 20 minutes of me holding her god-damned potted orchid to meet us, and  treated both hubby and me as unwelcomed intruders.  Seriously, I felt as though we were invited just to be treated poorly.  And only one sister showed when announcement was about to be made, actually crying- about what?  Still unknown .  I had to go up to her myself to introduce ourselves.  Creepy folk.  And all this in the full swing of COVID-19!  No masks.  No social distancing.  Coronavirus?  What coronavirus! And now we are being pressured into attending the baby shower, yes, in the same era of Covid-19.  I offered to host some sort of virtual shower, (I know it sucks) but mom said no, and wondered why the hell im all worried as "nobody from the previous party got sick!  So, we're good!"  Sorry, I have NO interest.  I don't want to see or hear anything having to do w that impolite, enmeshed, creepy bunch.  I'm not interested in putting a happy fake smile on, especially having been told directly how unhappy all parties are... It is truly unsettling seeing them flip into their delusions, and get pissed w anyone (me!) when I'm not flying the fake flag. 
I do feel a desire to have a grandmother relationship w my future step grandchild, but entering into their web makes me sick to my stomach.  Everything is telling me to stay away.

Can anyone see what I'm not?  

tog redux's picture

What I see is that it's time to distance from him and stop caring what he does with his life. Sounds like you have your husband's support in that, and he's not likely to let SS move back in or start helping him support his first of probably multiple children.

Send a gift and well-wishes to the shower and don't go in person. I'd avoid getting attached to the grandkid, as she will undoubtedly be used as a weapon against you.

Sounds like you and his father did all you could for this kid and how he turned out is not on you, nor under your control. Let him go and find happiness elsewhere in your life.

hereiam's picture

I agree with tog, just let him go.

When my DH's oldest, estranged daughter got in touch with him after a two year silence (one of many), it was because she had had a baby and expected money, gifts, and every weekend babysitting. Guess who became estranged again, shortly thereafter, when it didn't go as she expected? Her motives had nothing to do with relationships, only what she could get.

We adored the baby but had no intention of being emotionally blackmailed.

Gender reveal parties are dumb and I wouldn't have gone, Covid or no Covid. If you don't feel comfortable going to the shower, don't go.

Rags's picture

SS and his baby mama have proven themselves to be write offs.  Sadly their child is cursed with a shallow and polluted gene pool that will in all likelihood give that kid a failed family.

You are not the problem in any of this crap. Neither, apparently, is your DH. Which is a great thing and fairly unusual in the blended family world.  Or at least among many STalk folks who struggle with partners who worship their failed family children above all else rather than making their spouse and marriage their priority.

I am struggling a bit with the gender reveal followed by a shower??? This reeks of an attention/money and gift grab.  For some reason over the past X number of years there has been a plethora of create an event new traditions.  Gender reveal, college reveal, etc, etc, etc....  You participated in the reveal.  Send a gift for the shower and you and DH stay safe.

Be happy and don't let SS and his directionless life impact  your life.