You are here

Love my man...but NOT his kids (Where do you stand on this issue?)

TASHA1983's picture

Alot of us on this site admit we don't particularly "like/love" or "care for" our skids BUT we love our dh/so...

So my topic of discussion is this:

Do you think that a man/woman who loves their SO SHOULD like/love that person's kids?

Is it futile/stupid/waste of time etc. to get with a man/woman KNOWING that you don't like their kids and don't want anything to do with them or raising them or do you view them as a seperate person and if you don't like them then "oh well" all that matters is that you love your spouse/so???

What are your thoughts on this topic of:

LOVE MY MAN...BUT NOT HIS KIDS!!!

Unfreakingreal's picture

I like my DHs kids, but I don't LOVE them. What makes things complicated is the disdain I feel for the mother. It is also very apparent that they know how to pull at DHs heartstrings and that can get annoying.
I think that being in a relationship with a person that has children is already complex and having ill feelings towards that persons offspring is never a good thing.
A parent can't help but take that personal. "How can you love me and hate my child?" That would be MY question. Maybe it's easier for me because my DHs kids aren't complete dipshits. They do dumb shit like ALL kids do and since I can relate to that because of my own kids, I am more forthcoming and more in tune with the complicated triangle of the whole SKID thing.
If I said I hated my DHs kids, I'd be lying.

RedWingsFan's picture

I liked SD14 at first. She didn't show her true colors until she found out a bit into mine and her father's relationship, that I wasn't going anywhere. Once we became serious as a couple, she turned up the mini wife, jealous, possessiveness and saw me as a major threat. It all went downhill from there.

So, I loved him long before I couldn't stand his kid. I told him I'm pretty much done trying with her, after all she's done to us and to him individually. I have never said HE couldn't have a relationship with her (and he's tried, she rejects him) but I'm pretty much over the kid.

Now, if she changes and decides to grow up and mature, I'll likely try again. As of right now though, I'm done.

HopelessinNY's picture

Maybe I see this topic a little different than some people, I come from a family with many "step" relatives, and blood does not make family. I couldn't imagine being with someone with children and not atleast having some sort of feeling for the kids. I have 2 skids ages 6 and 9 and I honestly love them very much. DH has custody of them, and they're with us all except for 2hrs a week. After having them with us, I think I'd be lost without them. Our relationship wasn't always positive and still isn't, it's taken plenty of understanding and accepting to get as far as me and the skids have. When youre with someone the children are part of the package and I think people should accept that from the beginning or walk away. I recently joined this site and I'm honestly shocked and the opinion of a lot of people about their skids.. I'm not saying like or love them.. But atleast accept them! After all they are apart of your SO.

Unfreakingreal's picture

StepA - I think you are correct in your statement that none of the behaviors would have been tolerated within the step relations in your family. This is how I feel. When I read some of the things that these Skids do and say to some of the posters on here I am utterly shocked. I do not ever foresee my DH allowing either of his children to speak to me in the way some of these kids speak to their SMs. Nor would I ever allow my BS15 to speak to my DH in that way either. In the car with 5 teenage football players one day, they were discussing how one of the kids spoke to his mother. I looked at my son and said to him "What would happen to you if you ever spoke to me in that way?" He laughed and told all his friends "I could never talk to my mom like that cause she'd pop me in the mouth so fast!" He wasn't kidding either. Kids will do what they are allowed to do. Showing respect is one of the things that we as parents are supposed to TRAIN our kids to do. They will always test the waters but it is our job to stop them dead in their tracks. I won't take any shit from my skids either. They know how I am. I will treat them with affection, care for them, guide them and try and show them a different way of life but I will not put up with their shit. No matter what.

Unfreakingreal's picture

Hypovic - would you let a stranger walk up and say some nasty hurtful shit to you? I assume NOT. So why allow a skid to do it? I am a very confrontational person. I won't stay shut and I won't back down ever. On the rare occasion that my SD or SS has said something that I felt was remotely uncalled for I look them straight in the eye, point my long finger in their face and say "Don't you EVER speak to me that way again you hear me?" And believe me, they hear, because they KNOW I will get real nasty, real fast. They don't like the mean UFR. They like the happy, go lucky, always planning something fun for the family UFR. They know what side their bread is buttered on.

goincrazy.com's picture

Iam a very outspoken person and I don't put up with anyone's shit eiher but I have been in the same position where the skids say something and it takes a second to actually "hear" what was said or they catch you so off guard you just stand there for a second while it processes....I HATE that! lol, I like to be prepared and them nasty assholes can catch you slippin sometimes. And SO's wonder why we are always on the defense, lol WE have to be!!!

sterlingsilver's picture

I had to "take back my own damn house" too but it took my sister coming and staying a week to see it for what it was and tell my to make my stand!

WTHDISUF's picture

Sometimes we have already fallen in love with our SO's/DH's before we meet their kids because people don't immediately bring their kids into their post-divorce relationships. Even when they do, it's rarely a "full on" experience. It's more often that they are gradually introduced to our lives so we don't know that we don't like them; that takes time. Many people assume if they love their DH, they'll probably really like the kid too; naive or not, when one is optimistically in new love, they think all kinds of positives. We forget there's another Parent involved with the raising who may not be any where near as likable as the one Parent we love. Lol

The whole "we should love" them is silly in my opinion. These are individual people with their own personalities. Just because they are little or minors it doesn't mean we immediately love them as if we're some kind of Julie Andrews. This is especially true if the Parents don't get along and/or are raising them poorly. IF we like them in general, that's great. If we don't naturally like them (and are not bat ass crazy ourselves) then it's okay BUT we cannot mistreat them or get in way of our Spouse in raising them. We can't let our own unfounded or pre-existing issues damage a child that's innocent and have nothing to do with our issues. I've definitely known some StepParents like that; hating kids and Ex's for no real reason. But for the majority of us, liking or loving the kids is not a given.

In my case the kid was 4 and I find it hard to dislike a 4yr old. It was about 2 years in, around age of 6 that I started to see what kind of kid he is as he matured and at same time, I got to know the Wildebeest that birthed him better and realized he was very much like her. It makes it all the more difficult for me to bond with him in any way. I've tried every angle over the past 2 years to find a connection, to overlook his issues, to feel sorry for him since he doesn't even know his real Dad but it just isn't happening.

Finally, just last night when we took the kid to meet the Wildebeest, I told my DH that I'm sorry but I just can't feel for his previous family as he does. I told him I can't see the child as he does and to please just let me remain neutral in that regard vs trying to make me see him as he does. He's someone else's kid and the Mother is a horror; being neutral is all I can do. He seemed to finally accept that.

oldone's picture

My adult SS is pretty irrelevant in my life. I try to keep DH away from the city where he lives as much as possible.

I don't actively dislike him. He's sort of sweet. But he's a bottom feeder of society and makes no attempt to better himself. I just don't particularly want to be around him.

DeeDeeTX's picture

I think it can work in extremely limited circumstances where you hardly ever see the kid.

I think it can work if you are honest with yourself about the trade offs you are making (don't like the kids but your husband is worth it.). I don't think this usually works out though, because I don't think most people are honest with the amount of trouble the skids will bring, and how happy their SO will make them.

TASHA1983's picture

I am inclined to agree with you for the most part. My BF only has his kid EOWE from Sat am - Sun pm and every Wedn from 5:30-7:30. It sucks that he is even in the picture but I suppose if I have to deal with skid that amount of time is better than what it could be.

My BF is amazing in every way. He is NOT a guilty/Disney dad and he doesn't and won't put up with bm/skid bullshit and them disrespecting me in any way so that is a plus.

I didnt dislike the skid11 at first, it was after spending alot of time with him and then him giving me attitude that a light switch went off and I was DONE with that kid! I want nothing to do with him and my BF is very supportive and understanding of it all. He wants to be with me no matter what, and he always has MY back and puts US FIRST.

I think if a relatiosnhip is like THAT ^^^ mentioned above..dh and sm on the same page, dh doesn't allow bm/skid bullshit, etc. IT CAN WORK!!!

goincrazy.com's picture

I have the same exact story......SD13 at the time was actually nice and it was fine doing things together UNTIL she realized I wasn' going anywhere and showed her true colors

stormabruin's picture

IMO, so much of it depends on the situation...the father's attitude/parenting, the age of the kid(s), etc.

Overall, I think a woman staying in a relationship with a man who's kids she can't stand is setting herself & her man up for a really unhappy future.

Of all the men in the world, if you don't like kids, don't marry a man who has them. If you're in a relationship with a man who's kids you can't stand, why in the world would marry into that? It's not like they're going anywhere...ever. Small or grown, they'll be his kids F.O.R.E.V.E.R.

If he's willing to respect you as his wife & put his kids in their place as necessary, I think it can work. All too often, however, that is not the case.

If he won't nip it while you're dating, don't think it's something that marriage will magically change.

"LOVE" isn't always enough.

StickAFork's picture

If the "kids" are adults, I don't think it matters much at all.

If the "kids" are, in fact, kids, I think it matters quite a bit. In your words, I do believe it is stupid, futile, and a waste of time to link up with someone whose children you despise. It will always be a source of contention in your relationship, and I think it contributes to the far more likely demise of your relationship.

Let's say I fall in love with an active alcoholic. I know he is an alcoholic when I decide to date him. I hate alcoholism, don't drink myself, and absolutely despise drunks. I then find myself "in loooove" with my "soulmate" who drinks like a fish and stumbles around drunk as a skunk with certain regularity.

I'm distraught. I don't want him to be an alcoholic. It is hurting me, destroying me, and stealing my happiness. I try to change him, to show him all the ways and reasons that NOT being an alcoholic can benefit him AND "us." And, yet, he still drinks.

The question is: who do I have to blame for my unhappiness?? In my mind, *I* am to blame. *I* am choosing to put myself in a situation where I am unhappy. *I* don't like drunks, and yet I've chosen to be with one.
WHY?!?

christinen's picture

I love my DH but can’t stand my SD. If I could go back in time, I would never be with him. I can’t stand the guilty parenting, the non-stop drama, and just the fact that a child basically runs my household and my life revolves around her. I don’t have any kids of my own so it’s a huge inconvenience. This is why we are near divorce. I resent him and I resent her and I would strongly recommend women (especially those without their own children) do not get involved with men with kids. It’s a constant battle that you will never win.

dledden's picture

Well you know where I stand girl......i've been with my hubby for 4 years (married in August)and you know i can't STAND my skid. I am very happy in my marriage, and so I just pretty much 'deal' with skid. I ignore him as much as possible, I do what a step parent needs to do, you know, make sure he's fed and off to school, communicate with drs. etc. for all his special needs.......but "love him" "cuddle him" "bond with him"......NO. Never. Ever. Do I think I will end up divorced over this kid? No, I don't, not at all. I know my husband loves his kid, but I also know he loves me and is willing to do whatever it takes, as am I, to make our marriage and family solid. I just won't ever love his kid. He knows that. He's obviously OK with it, so am I. YOU CAN DO IT GIRL, and a hint, WINE is very helpful in dealing with skids, LOL Smile

The woman you call that individual's picture

If I didn't want to deal with another child I wouldn't have dated BF. When he said he was a fulltime dad I had ample opportunity to excuse myself from the conversation and leave and vice versa. But we choose not to.

I think more people need to be honest with themselves prior to meeting or dating anyone with kids and make sure that is really what they want. Especially those people who don't like kids, only like their own kids or my personal favorite, he/she only has them EOW so they won't really effect me. I hate to break it to people that have any of those 3 feelings; you need to do some deep reflection. Situations can can change on a dime and that child you dislike could be living with you 50/50.

Now with adult stepkids that is a completely different kettle of fish and one I know nothing about.

Just my 2 cents....