You are here

Lost Step Mother

drays's picture

I am a step parnt to a beautiful 31/2 yr. old. My DH was re-united with him after the military, and when the judge told BM she can't withold. Through the yars we have sent the child gifts, cards, letters, and what not. On the 2nd visit which I attended with my husband, my SS called me mom. He knows my name, and we have told him I was his step mom. Obviously the BM had a problem with it and told DH it was confusing to him. Sop when DH talks on phone weekly to child we go over about real mom and stepmom. He knows my name, but he has chosen to call me whatever he likes. I thought that is what we do for the child...whatever is comfortable for him. Well the BM now wants DH to pay for GAL and investigate me since BM says I force child to call me mom...which I never have. There is a build a bear she is using as "evidence" of me saying I am his step mom (name) and a scrap book where I am labled as his step mom (name). I do not feel i have done anything wrong, and I would never purposly offend the BM. So if anyone has been in this situation, can you offer me a direction/guidance?

losingmymind's picture

Sounds like you have a BM like most of us here do. I would take the GAL gladly. If I were still in the same state as our BM I would ASK for one after all we have been through.

Manipulative BM's THINK that they are smooth but a GAL is so used to seeing this that in the end I think you will come out looking like the good ones and she the bad one and having that legally documented can never hurt you!

drays's picture

Thank you, I did not think I did anything wrong. We are eager to get with the GAL, we just hope the judge will grant the split costs...so we don't end up payting 100% like we have done with long distance travel,and TONS of attorney fees. We have been grateful enough to have won every court action...it is just tiring.Too much money has been spent on thelegal system, when it could have gone to better use for the child.