You are here

Long hiatus

Downsouth's picture

Man I took a long hiatus before this new setup even began. And I deleted my acct when I did so......

Life got busy, promotion at work, natural disasters in the summer/fall made things insane.

January came and SO and I set our wedding date. We got only a few months left. All our fam is coming from out of state. 

SD18 is still in comm college-not doing so hot. But I saw that coming a mile away. She got wrapped up with a not so great 19 yr old kid and got prego. I took her hours away for an abortion that she had to pay for. (Her choice) The boy offered to help her with a baby but not with terming. Go figure. SO knew about it all too. I lost 7 lbs that week stressing over the stuff. She’s been under lock and key ever since with SO. She’s gotta get a full time job and take night classes and pick a new major because she’s not smart enough or driven enough for the other major. 

DD16 drives now. I got all that taken care of. SO found her a steal of a car so I bought it for her. Her father wasn’t exactly happy with it and made comments like “oh so your mom just goes out and buys you a $6000 birthday gift!?” DD16 had told her father over a year ago that I had been saving since 2014 for her car. She’s still A/B honor roll and looking for a job since she’s required to pay her portion of insurance. She’s still up/down with emotions and hates interacting with people. Lol

SS13 is still SS13. He didn’t go out for baseball because he only grew 1/2” in the last 9 months and he’s just grazing 4’9”. All the other kids his age are like 5’3” and up! He’s still on video games all the time and I gave up nagging about showers. He’s not sweating a ton cuz he’s sedentary. He wants to sit in funk for 2-6 days, let him! Lol he does not however get to go anywhere with me or us unless clean. 

DS12 is still doing well in school and playing his musical instrument like a champ. He’s even teaching himself songs. Thankfully he got over the “I hate showers” thing faster and earlier than SS13. He’s been very skeptical about his sister driving. Just like every good little brother should. Make every wise crack available. 

Stepping in to crazy a$$ mom mode with SD18 debacle was eye opening. Her going around calling me step mom, saying step mom has been surreal. Being in that spot knowing her mom wasn’t with her... but for some comfort being able to tell her that her mom termed 3 pregnancies I hope gave her some solace. Maybe? I still and SO too, try to just handle our own kids like we always have. We only step in when it requires someone else’s expertise. Like female stuff, or changing bike tires for him. 

We are still going strong for our relationship. Wedding planning has been a cinch. We are so similar in our financial ways that paying for things hasn’t been a fight and I think our only unknown post marriage is how will we file taxes next year. SO has still been great since my extra work load at work which sometimes I don’t get out until 5-5:30 he still picks up all the slack. 

Well I guess that’s it for my update/check in.

SMto3's picture

And i pray that your SD launches ASAP! I’m so scared of the day SS comes home with the baby news 

Rags's picture

Challenging of course but what a testament to how well you and SO work together as equity life partners and equity parents to all of the various spawn in your home ... regardless of biology.

Congratulations to  you and FDH on the upcoming nuptials.